What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold Scared Stiff Playfield

Megatron

Registered
An original used Scared Stiff playfield that was taken out as part of a swap for an original NOS playfield.

Ideal for restoration so you can send away and still play :)

£250

Attachments

• ss2.JPG
    ss2.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 62
  • ss3.JPG
    ss3.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ss4.JPG
    ss4.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 58
I really want this, the only problem is I really want the rest of it too, and building it back up from scratch sounds time consuming, expensive and heartbreaking...

Yeah I bought a NOS playfield and then had Ron Kruzman touch up and clearcoat. The result is stunning. The new repro playfields are horrible so if you have the patience and money, restoring an old one is the way to go.

i second that megatron repro playfields are not great but restored playfields are mega expensive and take a lot of time after getting my TAF playfield back from pinball dreams i am now the proud owner of the most expensive taf playfield ever i think but the end product is amazing

I though CPR were at least supposed to do a meticulous job on repro play fields? Just not so much from the other repro makers.

The actual clear coating and repainting I didn't think was too bad compared to the cost of a repro playfield. Okay there wasn't much touch up required on a NOS playfield. The cost of the original NOS playfield was eye watering though :) All in it was about £400 more than a repro playfield.

Repro playfields look great initially on inspection but it is the poor clear coat, choice of wood and poor playability that lets them down. The fact that top restorers like Pinball Dreams won't even touch a repro playfield says a lot. They don't play right and are more for show than playability - things like shooter lane length and width is completely different on some repro playfields. Does it matter? On some titles maybe not but when I hear the words professional restoration on an A list title - new repro play field, no expense spared, I :rolleyes:. People like the shiny though, so that's why repros sell.

i second that megatron repro playfields are not great but restored playfields are mega expensive and take a lot of time after getting my TAF playfield back from pinball dreams i am now the proud owner of the most expensive taf playfield ever i think but the end product is amazing
I agree, I got an original TAF playfield from America that has been restored to mint and clear coated. It looks absoluteley amazing. Cost me an arm & a leg but if I get round to getting in my TAF which has just had new cab & backbox it will look mint. Just need to find time and funds for Daz Ball to drop it in for me

Why not have a go swapping it out yourself - lotta fun and so long as you label everything you'll be fine.
Mind you I do have a pinball God on my doorstep when things go wrong :)

I just don't have the time mate. Run my own business, 3 kids. Barely any time at weekends. I hardly have time to play the thing let alone strip it down! Who's your local pinball master? If you're in Derbyshire you're not that far from me in Notts

Repro playfields look great initially on inspection but it is the poor clear coat, choice of wood and poor playability that lets them down. The fact that top restorers like Pinball Dreams won't even touch a repro playfield says a lot. They don't play right and are more for show than playability - things like shooter lane length and width is completely different on some repro playfields. Does it matter? On some titles maybe not but when I hear the words professional restoration on an A list title - new repro play field, no expense spared, I :rolleyes:. People like the shiny though, so that's why repros sell.

My AFM repro playfield has held up pretty well, considering it's been to 2 shows, plus all the plays that I've put on it and the previous owners, it looks pretty good to me. There are some minor artwork differences, but I only noticed these when they were pointed out side by side. I admit I'm no expert, and | haven't played an original recently but is there really a difference with playability?

Back
Top Bottom