What's new

Rocky

Tombyrne

Registered
HI, Thanks to your help i got me a Rocky.
I didn't think i would find one so soon.
The seller was fairly honest, good playfield although Mylar is shot. Good cab. No sound, but boots up and stars a game.
Back glass poor replica.( not so honest). I spotted it straight away and had a choice to make.
I would have liked a choice of machines but i am happy to have one.
First chance to have a look this weekend.
On start up the 3 sets of drop targets reset but the left hand side on each one drops.
Also points randomly appear on the display. Would this be linked?
Any thoughts on the sound board, its original and had work done to it.
My impression is someone has started to have a go at it and given up half way through.
Any pointers to begin with would be most grateful

Such a common issue with Gottliebs is the connectors pins - check them thouroughly- if the look flattened - replace the pins.
the interconnect loom esp is prone to failures.
It would be a frickin miracle if all those pins are fine - trust me on this one!!

A lot of the sound boards had what might look like repairs but was factory done mods.
the sound board may be ok - it could be a supply or signal to the boards issue
If THE worst case scenario - replacements are available in Europe - pascal sells them

At the mo i would concentrate on the other issues.
Plus,generic gottlieb todo list is check the 5v - there is a test point on the power board - it can also be adjusted as there is a potentiometer(adjust with output connector removed.
There is also voltage test points on the power board for the other voltages.
Replace the filter cap I mentioned in a previous post
Check cpu battery
Re the drop if they are dropping they would initially score,but when dropped it should stop.If it keeps scoring check the 10 point switches and the spinners for adjustment- a switch somewhere must be made if it just keeps on scoring in the game
Check the drop targets assembly to ensure the end bits aint snapped off the end(inside cabinet end-common snap off point).Ensure drop springs are present and if they are aren't overly tight.

Be carefull poking around the game - 240volt easily touchable near the transformers

i get ya want to go in and play it- but u r wasting your time on any bought gottlieb game with known issues - get them sorted

Last edited:
Such a common issue with Gottliebs is the connectors pins - check them thouroughly- if the look flattened replaced the pins.
the interconnect loom esp is prne to failures.
I towuld be a frickin miracle if all those pins are fine - trust me on this one!!

A lot of the sound boards had what might look like repairs but was factory done mods.
the sound board may be ok - it could be a supply or signal to the boards issue
If THE worst case scenario - replacements are available in Europe - pascal sells them

At the mo i would concentrate on the other issues.
Plus,generic gottlieb todo list is check the 5v - there is a test point on the power board - it can also be adjusted as there is a potentiometer(adjust with output connector removed.
There is also voltage test points on the power board for the other voltages.
Replace the filter cap I mentioned in a previous post
Check cpu battery
Re the drop if they are dropping they would initially score,but when dropped it should stop.If it keeps scoring check the 10 point switches and the spinners for adjustment- a switch somehwere must be made if it just keeps on scoring in the game
Check the drop targets assembly to ensure the end bits aint snapped off the end(inside cabinet end-common snap off point).Ensure drop springs are present and if they are aren't overly tight.

Be carefull poking around the game - 240volt easily touchable near the transformers

i get ya want to go in and play it- but u r wasting your time on any bought gottlieb game with known issues - get them sorted
Thanks for speedy reply,

Looking a little deeper now, can you confirm replacing battery like for like.
Would you mind pointing out the filter cap.
The Earth strap terminations are pretty corroded on the transformers and speakers etc. I cleaned the main Earth terminal
And that had an effect on the displays.
Also, noticed that at the start of game even if you don't send a ball, points will score, or it will end the game or points will score and then displays go back to zero.

Where can i get the 2 missing bumper posts?

Ok, so i started to look at the earth terminations, first thing i noticed is that there is no earth from the mains!
It has been cut off, that CAN'T be right!
So i duly reconnected the earth and checked the plug was ok, plugged in and switched on under neath and it blew the main fuse.
Now i do have limited electrical knowledge and I'm sure it needs to earthed at supply.
I had to leave it at that due to time constraints but i am hoping its an easy find and will start with the on off switch when i get time.
I am ****ed that someone has disconnected the earth just to power up the machine, let alone just to sell it!

As i said in a different thread the filter cap is in the main cab a few inches from where the coin box would be,if original it's probably orange.
The mains cable should go to the line filter with earth to it's case.The earth in f your cable could be damaged and shorting to the live or neutral.
For a Gottlieb game to work the slam switch in the coin door needs to be made,if that opens during gameplay it will stop game,as will if one of the three other tilt sensors operate.

Who needs Earthing when you can use yourself :)

Hi slowly making a bit of progress but will need help soon.
Got it playing of sorts, but not where i want it to be.
However, i was having a clean up which made it look a lot better. Thought i would boot it up to see how it flowed but the flippers
Bumpers and slingshots wont work now!
Fuses ok and no loose connections, anything common to these i can check. It was working okay.
Think I'm gonna get a more up to date machine to keep me going.

Back
Top Bottom