What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Rocky & Bullwinkle Shop Log

keep up the good work mate! I've mentioned the side rails to my joiner, he is busy, but will get back to me :)

Dunc

Thanks Dunc. No huge rush. :)

In what will most likely be a controversial move i've just ordered a sheet of 0.75 mm lexan with a view to making a full playfield cover similar to what Nedreud did with his Goldball.

There are lots of conflicting thoughts on this and many people will immediately worry about the prospect of dirt and grime getting trapped under the protector and affecting the underlying artwork. There's also those that would say that it's overkill considering that i've had the playfield clear-coated.

Of course the issue here is that clear-coat will only protect so much, and given the amount of effort put in so far I don't really want to risk the playfield. And, of course the advantage of the protector is that if it does get dirty or if i'm not happy with it then it's not that much of a job to strip the upper side of the playfield down to remove it.

Naturally this new work is going to mean that refitting bits will take a back seat for a little while, but in the meantime i'll continue working on rebuilding the various mechanisms.

Hit a bit of a slow spot whilst I wait for stuff to be delivered.

Was going to polish up the pop bumper rings this morning and get the pops back together but on close inspection I found some bubbling on the metal which won't polish out. The last thing I want is the rings to be chewing up the balls when they hit so i've got an order in for brand new rings from Pinball Heaven.

Also currently waiting on a new supply of corn cob media. I'm trying PeteB's two stage method and the walnut grit did a fantastic job on the initial clean. Alas the second stage in the old corn cob media I had was pretty terrible and I think that's because the media is pretty old now and there's a lot of dust in it; think it's time for a new batch. Unluckily for me I stuck an order in for more media just as the seller started a stock check which means it won't ship until the end of next week. Boooo!!!

Anyway, weekend away with the missus tonight. Hopefully the rate of progression will up a gear towards the end of next week.

Yep, i'm already signed up to that.

There's a guy on Pinside who's just picked up a real wreck of a Rocky & Bullwinkle. Incredibly he's going to try to restore it even though it's in shocking condition. Looking forward to see how he progresses.

Made a start on my custom playfield protector. Huge thanks to @Nedreud for his hints and tips.

For us poor souls that can't buy a pre-made protector this is probably the next best thing. I spoke to the manufacturers of Playfield Protectors and despite me moaning like hell they replied to say that unfortunately they had no plans to make one for Rocky & Bullwinkle. :-(

Anyway, just did a few test cuts to make sure it works as expected. The cutting bit has a solid section on the end so you can run it around the inside of the hole you're cutting without damaging the playfield. Makes it pretty easy to do most of the holes. The only tricky ones will be any which aren't fully through the playfield or that have GI lamps already stapled in place behind.

16923823_10155908713978378_1352367876_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Utterly bonkers. ;-)

I know protectors are a bit controversial to some; but the feedback i've had from a few people now has been pretty favourable and it'll be super-shiny. Plus of course it'll protect the restored artwork i've had done.

If I don't like how it plays it can always be removed at a later date.

I'm using Playfield Protectors on all restorations and shop jobs going forward now. They are the answer to pretty much all problems and from what I've seen and tested so far, play is no different to mylar.

I've bought 2 recently, one for Johnny Mnmemonic and one for Turtles. The material they're using now (and also the cutting) is much better.

However, there's no protector available for Stargate, so like @Wiredworm I'm going to have to make one myself. What I need to know is what kind of material they use and where to buy it here in the UK?

The cutting bit has a solid section on the end so you can run it around the inside of the hole you're cutting without damaging the playfield.
Great work as ever. I'm interested to try this on my project. What tools are you using for cutting/cleaning the holes?

In a nice way, I hope this shop log never ends:)

The material they're using now (and also the cutting) is much better.
Yeah, I noticed on their website that they've dropped down to 0.5mm thick makrolon instead of 0.75mm.

Alas I couldn't get anything as thin as that but a big of digging confirmed that makrolon is just another brand name for polycarbonate. I wasn't able to get that specific brand so ended up with some Lexan, which is pretty much identical in it's make-up. Have to say that 0.75mm is thicker than I expected but it's still easy to cut with the dremel. Hopefully i'll make some more progress over the next few nights and the weekend.

What tools are you using for cutting/cleaning the holes?
I'm using the same dremel adaptor kit that was recommended by @Nedreud.

It's this one.

www.widgetsupply.com_mm5_graphics_00000001_dremel_cutting_kit_565_main.jpg

If you look at the three bits provided you can see the front one has thread all the way down. The other two (which I think are intended for drywall) have a blank section on the end so if you get the depth just right you can use that as a guide when cutting.

Made a bit more progress tonight.

72df9fe82d29592.jpg

That's actually the vast majority of the full depth holes and switch roll-overs done. There's a few roll-over slots to do at the top which I should get done tomorrow and then all that's left are some partial depth holes, the holes for the various post bolts and some holes which already have the GI bulbs behind them.

f0c6bd61d735813.jpg

So, my plan is to use this circle stencil to mark out the positions for the remaining holes. I'm going to have to get creative and come up with a template I can place below the lexan to make sure I get a nice tidy hole. Anything that's not circular will probably be marked out with a sharpie and i'll have to clamp some timber in place to act as a guide. Luckily most of the partial depth cuts sit below the apron so it doesn't matter if they're not spot on.

Happy with how it's going. It's probably taken me about 45 minutes to get this far.

I managed to get a couple of hours this afternoon to try to get the playfield protector finishd off. So far things had been relatively simple and cutting the holes using the dremel cutting kit was relatively straight forward. Once all of the simple cuts were done things looked like this.

b8ba9425170a46d.jpg

The next challenge was the partial depth holes and those which had GI bulbs already stapled behind them. I checked the sizes of the various holes and decided to go with a 13mm cut; this would mean that all the holes would be slightly larger than needed but would still provide protection where needed.

I used the circle template I had to mark all of these out.

36a1b19ec1166ee.jpg

I also used a 16mm cut for some of the larger holes below the apron. My original plan was to cut holes into a piece of hardwood and then use it as a cutting template so I could cut the holes with the dremel cutting kit. Unfortunately it proved to be really tough to secure both the timber and the lexan in place so in the end I used a 13mm and 16mm drill bit to make the cuts. I had to be really careful and steady as drilling too quickly could cause the drill to snag and tear up the edges.

I also had some larger non-circular cuts to make which I tried doing pretty much free hand with the dremel cutting kit. Unfortunately I made a mistake and didn't secure the lexan properly for one of the cuts and it ran off it's line. Sods law dictates it's somewhere visible; the only saving grace is most of the mistake will be covered by the apron and it's only slightly out so the ball won't run over that area.

Anyway. Here's how it looked once done.

b488cf186b2296f.jpg
326fec92152ebf0.jpg

Attachments

• b0570a0bbf3ae71.jpg
    b0570a0bbf3ae71.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10
Been a slow week as I got shipped out to Denmark for a few days. Busy weekend also with the granddaughters birthday party yesterday and seeing my daughter today.

However, I did make some progress. I finally stripped off all of the tape and labels i'd put on to identify what cables came from where. It seemed a bad idea to try to clean the loom with these in place; soggy cardboard, yuk!! I also figured the tape needed to be off otherwise it could collect water and lead to things not drying out properly. It took longer than anticipated, partly because I took notes to compare against the manual (just in case; it's known that manuals can sometimes be inaccurate).

ff6b676849b1bd0.jpg

Unfortunately Data East looms are built as a single unit so you can't strip them apart to make the cleaning process easier. So the whole lot was wrapped up in a towel before being dumped into the bath and doused with a load of Cillit Bang.

7d5284e1f3bde51.jpg

I gave it a bit of a going over with a couple of brushes i'd recently got to clean my new bike. However, i'm not sure this was really necessary as you could hear the Cillit Bang fizzing away and going to work on the grime. It wasn't long before a pool of dirty brown mess was heading down towards the plug hole. I left it like that for a good 5-10 minutes and then thoroughly rinsed the whole lot with the shower head.

Finally I wrapped it back into the towel and hung it to dry in the spare room. The missus let me borrow her airing rack. It'll now stay in there for at least 3-4 days. Realistically I won't have time to refit it to the playfield until the weekend anyway.

fb39a25b9dca0d2.jpg

In other news i've now got both walnut grit media and some new corn cob. So hopefully over the coming nights I can get the tumbler running again. I've also got some new bumper rings and skirts from Phil at Pinball Heaven so I was going to look at finishing off the pop bumper mechanisms; but I have a feeling that the lovely bright white skirts are going to make the bodies look discoloured. It's likely that I might end up having to replace the bodies as well. We'll see.

Ha, new skirts arrived. Shown in the photo below you can see the colour difference between the new skirt (middle) and the original ones. Also shown on the right is the body.

be98173e547f07b.jpg

Yeah, new bodies it is.

Managed to make a bit more progress today.

The loom is back onto the playfield now and i've had the iron out and soldered all of the GI cabling back in place. Rather annoyingly I had managed to miss one GI bulb so i've had to staple that in place so that everything could be finished off; luckily I had a couple of spare bulb holders left over.

The lamp boards are all back on and reconnected and about 80% of the other bulb holders which were screwed to the playfield are also back in place. I've spotted a couple of broken wires which i'll sort out tomorrow night and then the rest of the bulb holders should be able to go back.

It's then onto the fun part of rebuilding the various mechanisms. The pop bumper bodies have arrived so I should be able to get those done first and then it's all the other bits. Could take a while as i've been tumbling in smaller batches due to the size of some of the parts.

Hopefully get some more pictures posted over the next few days.

That's the two stray wires soldered back in place and the remainder of the bulb holders back in place. Lovely stuff.

I've refitted some of the LED's that were there previously but I had a right hotch-potch mix of regular incandescent bulbs and different types of LED's for the inserts. I've re-inserted those that I intend to use and just stuck an order in to match the rest wit the same sorts of LED's.

Got a good price thanks to the discount code for Pinball-LED but i'm still stunned about how much i've just spent on some bulbs. ;-) I'll probably need some more later because I might modify the GI layout and put some colours in there. That's for later though once the underside of the playfield is populated.

Pop bumpers tomorrow hopefully and then i'll try to get some pictures up.

Bit more progress tonight. Managed to get the pop bumpers rebuild and back onto the playfield. I've fitted new fiber yokes, skirts and bodies because once I got the new skirts it was clear just how yellow the original bodies had gone. I've also had to fit all new rings because the old ones had some damage which probably wouldn't have polished out.

Anyway, they're back in place now, although I might need to drop them back out again in order to get the wires reconnected. Not quite sure yet; the design of these means I might be able to get away with removing the screws and just rotating them slightly. My original idea was to wait until the end and do the soldering all at once but on reflection I think it's probably going to be far easier to do each mech as I come to it.

Here's an overview of what the full underside of the playfield looks like now.

32e7108eb02f47b.jpg 32e7108eb02f47b.jpg

And of course the obligatory close-up of the rebuild pops.

a08c6b53e488751.jpg

And from the top side. One of the nice things about the DE pop bumpers is that pretty much the entire assembly can drop out through the bottom of the playfield. You only have to remove the bumper caps and that's it. Also, note that in the picture below one of the bumpers doesn't have a cap; that one is covered by a plastic which will be put in place later. :)

1e7388cd8e949d2.jpg

That's all for tonight. Will probably take some time tomorrow night to get the pop bumper wires soldered back in place. Then it's onto the rest of the mechs. A lot of bits have been polished but I need to go through stuff that hasn't been cleaned yet and see what's needed to rebuild full mechs.

Annoyingly i'm waiting on a couple of bits to come back in stock at Marcos so that could end up delaying things a little.

Wallet is now crying as i've just put an order into Marcos for the last few bits I need. A couple of items aren't in stock but i'm told they're due back in within 2 weeks so i've got the order in place in order to secure stock.

Whilst I wait i've got plenty of other stuff to be on with.

Pop bumpers are now soldered back up. Was easier than anticipated and didn't need to move anything.

Only slight issue; I hadn't realised the bulb holders for the pops had different length wires on them; at least not until I had to reconnect them and found they wouldn't reach the GI connectors they were meant go to . Bugger.

So that caused a bit of an issue; had to strip them down and switch the bulb holders around. All done now. No photos today as it doesn't look any different.

Need to sort through the bits tomorrow and tumble the last of the parts needed to rebuild the mechs. Hopefully get moving once that's done.

Not much progress tonight. The tumbler is running again but it's going to take a while as i'm now tumbling some of the larger parts and I don't want to put too many in as it makes it very noisy. Of course if i'd planned better I would have had lots of smaller parts which I could have slung in there too but most parts have now been done.

Aaaah well, in the meantime i've got all the coils together and i'll hopefully get them slung in the dishwasher tomorrow night. Then I can get those re-wrapped ready for when it's time to rebuild the mechanisms.

Coils in. Dishwasher on.

Wife freaked out when she saw me putting them in there. Not because I was using the dishwasher but because she didn't think I could put 'electrical stuff' in there. She must have missed me scrubbing the loom in the bath the other week.

Delivery of LEDs turned up the other day. Finally got around to fitting those tonight. That's all of the under-playfield lamps swapped out and tested.

No photos as not much to show for now; the tumbler is running like crazy to get everything polished up so I can start rebuilding stuff. Lots of larger parts so it's taking some time but i'm hopeful of getting started towards the end of the week.

Also need some 3/4" unslotted hex screws if anyone knows where I can grab some. Neither Pinball Heaven or Pinballmania seem to list them online; i've dropped Phil a line just in case they're not listed on the site or listed under a different name/sizing. They're the screws used to hold the light boards in place and i've noticed a few are missing on my machine. My OCD won't let me leave it that way.

It's been a bit quiet around here of late because i've had the tumbler running to get all the parts nice and clean. I used the method recommended by @PeteB and did 2-3 days with ground walnut and then 2-3 days with corn cob media. With so many parts to tumble, so many of them being quite large, and only being able to run the tumbler during the day it meant it took a good long while to get done.

However, it's now all finished and the vast majority of mechanisms have been rebuilt and refitted to the playfield. No photos yet but i'll try to get some up in the next few days.

I still need to do a flipper rebuild, replace the decals on the hat trick targets and fit new B-O-M-B targets but all of these are waiting on a parts of from Marco's which has been waiting on two items for the last 3-4 weeks. I'm now told they're expecting the missing parts early next week so fingers crossed they might turn up soon.

There's also a plunger linkage i'm waiting on (Phil said he'd stick it on his next Marco order so that it's not left languishing on my delayed order).

The S-A-V-E-D target bank should hopefully be back together in the next day or two and once that's done and refitted we're almost ready to break out the soldering iron and get everything hooked back up. Then we're finally onto the upper side of the playfield. Phew!!

All parts now back in stock at Marcos. Hopefully should have the parts with me in the next week or two and then I can really get cracking. :)

Now expecting a nice fat bill from HMCE for import taxes :-(

Just a small update.

I've spent the last few days rebuilding the various mechs. The biggest of these is the S-A-V-E-D target bank and that's had a little extra TLC in the form of new target plastics and decals. Just finished putting it back together and it's now back in place on the playfield.

I've also cleaned up the right slingshot and re-affixed that. So pretty much all that's left now is the ball eject mechanism which is waiting on a new linkage. The hat trick and bomb targets also need sorting out but thankfully the order from Marcos has now shipped so hopefully I can sort those out in the next week or two as well. I've ordered a new set of decals for the hat trick targets because mine had started to peel. I also ordered a full set of B-O-M-B targets because mine were a little out of shape and had a tendency to fire through vibration. I looked into adjusting them but the general consensus was that after time the adjustments you make tend to hold in place for shorter and shorter periods of time. So, new targets it is.

Anyway, here's the current state of the underside of the playfield. Aside from the above mechs the only other work outstanding is to resolder all of the various switches and coils. Hopefully have the underside all buttoned up by the end of May and then I can get cracking on the top side of the playfield.

20170424_195109.jpg

Full playfield plastic set ordered from @PeteB.

My plastics are actually in pretty good nick, but I couldn't resist having super-shiny new plastics on this. The old ones will get packed away as spares, although i'm fitting protectors and fender washers so hopefully they won't be needed.

Back
Top Bottom