What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roadshow - UPDATE No4!! and yes more help needed!!

Checked all the chips and they look fine and seated well. Do i need to replace the board now or are there any further fixes I could try?

I can't zero in on a simple fix here. Given your experience, I would tread very carefully and consider getting a repair guy round.

You probably have a short circuit/ pinched wire/ failed switch. But there are other causes of faults like these.

Row 1 of this tells you where to look ....

View attachment 109964

This will give you a flavour of some things to look out for ......

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-ground-short-row-1-solved

I would go back and read this thread on pin side and persevere with trying to find a pinched or exposed cable, seems the most common fix for your ground short issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you unplugged all the bottom connectors of the cpu and a fault remained then you definitely have a cpu fault. So go no further until u have it repaired.

Andy.

Have you tried what Andy suggested above?

Has anyone mentioned that uln2803 is a switch matrix chip - I was unaware, definitely makes a lot more sense now knowing that.

Yet again.
uln2803 failure. The one behind the batteries. Take old one out.
install socket
Easy

if you cant do it. Then send the board for repair at @myPinballs or @philpalmer.

Thank you, I will send it or get someone round to repair. Am i right that this chip is soldered in. It's just not a pop out and replace? And if I send it off does it get tested before return? I still think it's strange in happened in the middle of a game just after I had installed the 5v board.

Sorry another question and me thinking out loud. The shaker motor was active so something may of come loose. Is it just a case of gently pulling on all wires under the palyfield? or would it just be on the coils etc? (feel free to face palm here I know to the maintenance side of things) :eek:

" Is it just a case of gently pulling on all wires under the palyfield? or would it just be on the coils etc? "

FFS

Thank you, I will send it or get someone round to repair. Am i right that this chip is soldered in. It's just not a pop out and replace? And if I send it off does it get tested before return? I still think it's strange in happened in the middle of a game just after I had installed the 5v board.

Sorry another question and me thinking out loud. The shaker motor was active so something may of come loose. Is it just a case of gently pulling on all wires under the palyfield? or would it just be on the coils etc? (feel free to face palm here I know to the maintenance side of things) :eek:

" Is it just a case of gently pulling on all wires under the palyfield? or would it just be on the coils etc? "

FFS

I only ask as I know that there is 2 voltage systems under the playfield. Does the ground fault mean it's the one for the coils or the one for lights etc.

I'm sorry I don;t have the experience that you have, and these are genuine questions that I'm to get my head round. Simply looking at the the underside of the playfield and looking for a loose or pinched wire is a little scary for someone who doesn't know there way around it.

I know that the fault is still there when the palyfield is up and the coin door is closed, so would that still indicate a pinched wire?

I am totally new to this, it frustrates me that I can't solve it. I've ordered a chip from Pinball Heaven this morning on someone else's advice. If you can't help me further I understand, but please don't be rude or condescending to me. There are probably things that I could help you with in live and I wouldn't be rude to you

If it was me, i would be taking that silly 5v 'fix' board off and sorting the actual power board reset issue first, then seeing what's its like. For 5 row ground shorts to suddenly appear seems odd and points to maybe more of a 12v matrix (digital) voltage issue than anything else. Have you checked the voltages out of the driver board and the 12v digital voltage at TP3?

Jim

If it was me, i would be taking that silly 5v 'fix' board off and sorting the actual power board reset issue first, then seeing what's its like. For 5 row ground shorts to suddenly appear seems odd and points to maybe more of a 12v matrix (digital) voltage issue than anything else. Have you checked the voltages out of the driver board and the 12v digital voltage at TP3?

Jim

Hi Jim - Many thanks for your advice. I've been in touch with Bob Pinball Toys, (He's localish and serviced the machine before) and will call him when lockdown is over. We have been shielding at home hence me trying to fix it myself. I'll have one last try of putting in the ul2803 when it arrives and then it will be over to Bob!

Thank you all who have contributed to advice. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge and if anyone took by naivety the wrong way, I'm honestly just a nice bloke trying to fix a frustrating problem!

Back
Top Bottom