What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roadshow eyes not working

chris wilson

Registered
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Recently got a Roadshow and everything seems to work apart from the eyes and eyelids on both Red n Ted.

The eyelids and eye don't work during the game or on the test. The mouths work fine.

After reading up a bit I checked the fuses and the connections J127,J107 J114 but they all seem fine.

The small circuit board beneath the heads as pictured does not have the red led lit, so i guess this is my problem.

Is there anything I need to check or do I need a new board? Should i take the heads apart and take a look or is this unlikely to be the problem due to the board not being lit.?

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_155453.jpg
    IMG_20200327_155453.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 25
The bulldozer works. Guess I will just have to take the heads out and see if somethings broke or loose connections somewhere.

Cheers

Best option. My Ted was previously fixed with mastik. Broken arm and link. Couldn't be bothered to strip it down so fitted him with sunglasses 😎.

Will do it one day...

My RS has various head issues when I bought it, seem to recall one was a linkage issue, and two other issues were wires snapped at the solder joints at the coils.

Worth checking coil supplies at the power board and also coil resistance, if both good then sounds mechanical, lots of stripping down to get to those pesky heads!

Good luck 👍

The head has some very weak solenoids in it, the end stops must be carefully aligned to reduce friction.

It's a common fault, and usually you need to take Red and Ted apart to replace the linkages and sometimes the solenoids (mine were completely seized). Getting Ted out is a pain and requires quite a lot of dismantling, but is quite doable. Red is easier to get out. Once you have access to them it is relatively easy to rebuild the eye moving mechanisms.

Took Red's head out and all the linkages work fine and manually moved the solenoids to open/shut eyes and move left and right. Also one solenoid looks brand new so seems to be ok on the mechanical front.
Still think it must be electrical due to both heads eyes not working.

Can anyone suggest the next step for me to check. j127 looks fine, nothing burnt out and all fuses seem ok.

Thanks

Mine’s tombstoned ATM, but pretty sure there’s a setting option to turn off the heads/eyes/mouths? Have you checked the coil resistance of the eye coils at the power board connector with the connector unplugged.

Back
Top Bottom