What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFM Updates

Here it is: v2.21. Download from https://mypinballs.com and click donate :)

Update notes

v2.21 RFM Update

Attract - Added new high score screen for saucer lights collected
Attract - Added new high score screen for saucers destroyed during multi ball
Saucer Lights - added monitoring and storage of saucer lights per player game for hs use
Multiball - added monitoring and storage of saucers destroyed per player game for hs use
Multiball - fixed a bug where some ship destroyed shots would not shake the shaker

XINA 1.33
Credits - Added a new setting to allow reset of the credits at boot
Credits - Credits are now cleared on boot if the setting is set
System - Added some new colour definitions - Purple, Turquoise, Brown

Enjoy, and stay safe inside

rfm_v221_update_splash.jpg

Also, in the works...

The plan/mission being to make a brand new pinball 2000 software update program wrapper for fupdate cross platform completely from scratch that will run on any hardware i.e windows, mac os or linux. Will still be connecting to the original hardware via serial as we are fixed at the pin2000 game side, so usb to serial adapters will be needed still.

I also think there could be room for other tools to be added to it, but we will start here.

Screenshot 2020-04-06 09.35.00.png

Really admire what you're doing here. Wish i had the game to appreciate it!

Shame there's only really 1 or 2 games on this platform that will benefit.

Jim - isnt Pinball 2000 parallel port run? I know updates are via serial.

Would be good to do a windows version, would you be letting the virual pinball guys get hold of it to make a version for Vpins?

Fantastic! I can finally throw out those old XP laptops I kept just for doing updates!

Will there be a charge for this software? Or can we donate something to support it's development?

Jim - isnt Pinball 2000 parallel port run? I know updates are via serial.

Would be good to do a windows version, would you be letting the virual pinball guys get hold of it to make a version for Vpins?

What are you referring to, the new software update program i'm working on?

Sorry I didn't see the donation link before. Have sent something over.

Thanks for doing this!

Progress on the new updater software. List of software update files working and list of computer specific serial devices working. Also cleaned up the pin2k logo

Screenshot 2020-04-08 10.15.05.png

I was questioning the connection from the pc to the power driver board

Yeah the power driver board is communicated by the machines computer over a parallel port, so they can still use the 8 bit data bus like on wpc era and latch ics for data processing.

But i dont understand what your original point was?

Been playing your @myPinballs 2.21 for a couple of evenings, absolutely brilliant, found the reversed flippers a bit of a killer on anything other than slow balls, as I do on my TSPP, so I turned the option back off again.

Love it, great work Jim, you should be very proud of what you have done. Strongly recommend all RFM owners to get their machines updated, it’s a very simple job to do, takes a few minutes and job jobbed.

Now the big ask.... I have a SWEP1 sitting next to my RFM, basically and ornament as the game play is just that bit meh, would you ever consider doing anything with it, if it wasn’t for the light saber battle I likely wouldn’t bother.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Been playing your @myPinballs 2.21 for a couple of evenings, absolutely brilliant, found the reversed flippers a bit of a killer on anything other than slow balls, as I do on my TSPP, so I turned the option back off again.

Love it, great work Jim, you should be very proud of what you have done. Strongly recommend all RFM owners to get their machines updated, it’s a very simple job to do, takes a few minutes and job jobbed.

Now the big ask.... I have a SWEP1 sitting next to my RFM, basically and ornament as the game play is just that bit meh, would you ever consider doing anything with it, if it wasn’t for the light saber battle I likely wouldn’t bother.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Rfm is a passion of mine, as it’s been in my life pretty much since it’s inception. Thanks mainly to my old man (rip) who managed to bag one almost new back in 1999. 😁

So, SWEP1 and creating some updates.... I have a nos Star Wars playfield sitting here ready to use for testing and yes i would be willing to make some updates for it . Rule improvements, new high score goals etc A lot of what I’ve done system wise on rfm can be brought across to swep1 and the shaker stuff etc

The problem and stumbling block right now is I don’t have the full game source for it. The file set I managed to get was incomplete. It’s something I’m working on so watch this space...

My job for tonight, thanks to Jim for the software and the loom. Thanks to 1stoppinball for the for shaker.

The shaker is a fantastic addition, I also fitted the ‘proper’ knocker to mine, you’re going to love it, adds another dimension 👍

Let us know what you think.

Chris.

Fitted and working, made a great difference to the game, thanks Jim

Even with my limited technical skills was a doddle to fit, with the loom I only needed to add one connector to the shaker (supplied with the loom)

Took the playfield out of the RFM to give it a bit of TLC at the same time, always impressed by the P2000 system.

RFM is a great game, one of the few pins I have missed enough to buy for a second time.

20200414_191520.jpg20200414_191527.jpg

Another update on the new updater program.

Here is a screen shot of the first successful packet transmission between my mac and my test original pin2k computer. Possibly the first ever native (see below) packet transmission that isnt windows based.

The program has its own completely rewritten packet transmission system internally so that cross compiling the program will be easier. I am not using the fupdate program at all. Mainly this is because recompiling that for multiple systems seems a waste of time and secondly i want to be more independent than including old wms tools even though that program was released with the source freely available. It should be stated though the the update source is an invaluable resource in terms of working out how this stuff works!! Thanks to williams yet again.

Still some hurdles to overcome, but to get a successful acknowledgement form the pin2k computer is a good step.

Another bonus for writing this tool is i have learnt a lot more (again) about the pin2k system and have some more ideas on how to possibly save valuable flash ram space for old machines on future updates.

IMG_6472.JPG

Will it still be possible to do possible future updates using the original pinball2000 update/communication software?

Maybe I’m a little old fashioned, I have a trusty Dell D630 laptop I use for my updates, it has all the useful functionality, serial port, VGA output, PCMCIA slot and the best bit a proper bay floppy drive and running XP, use it daily for work to communicate with CNC machines, so good I have three of them, just don’t let it near the internet!

Great work Jim 👍😎

Chris.

Will it still be possible to do possible future updates using the original pinball2000 update/communication software?

Maybe I’m a little old fashioned, I have a trusty Dell D630 laptop I use for my updates, it has all the useful functionality, serial port, VGA output, PCMCIA slot and the best bit a proper bay floppy drive and running XP, use it daily for work to communicate with CNC machines, so good I have three of them, just don’t let it near the internet!

Great work Jim 👍😎

Chris.

Not sure why you'd want to use the old buggy software thats locked to xp when there will be a new shiny updater program available that will run on any platform and also have lots of great new features.

physical xp machines wont run forever i'm afraid!!!

Last edited:
Jim. amazing. as long as you got your bits and bytes in the right order in the endian !! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom