What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete RFM - Shop log

ianw

Site Supporter
Alias
cityexile
Hi

Yesterday decided that whilst fixing / replacing the screen in my RFM, it would be prefect timing to give her a good clean and fix any broken bits, as the screen is going to take a while for parts to arrive.

Dirty Martians

Time for a clean.JPG

DAY 1

Arrived back in the office to last nights work....

RFM Day 1 small.jpg

Office desks , think i'm going to get distracted from work

RFM Day 1 PF.jpg

DAY 2

Now to get a shopping list together of parts required

LED's - Anyone have a RFM and has added them, if so which area(s) and is it worth while?
Is it correct that the system believes LED are bulb faults in diagnostics, cant test myself as dont have screen working :) ?

Hmm.. Ok i have LED's in my RFM (Inserts only) and yes it does believe the bulbs are dead, however more importantly, they flicker like a %^$%^.

Personally, i would say, unless you have to, i wouldnt bother with LED's (And I'm a fan of them!)

I'm a big fan of the LED bulbs too. Would non flicker LED's work?

Yup, the LEDs i've put on my R&B look amazing too.

Although I need to do some more experimentation with the ones to use for the backglass illumination as the ones i've tried so far flicker a fair bit.

They flash like buggery - i'll see if i can get a video later of it... Ive seen two LED'd RFM's and both did the same.... Unless anyone here knows of a solution??

Parts:

Scoop plastic - smashed - lucky PH have one! (Ordered)
New rubbers and post sleeves (Already have)
New balls, I never seem to have new balls spare, loads of old ones which I never throw out.... not sure why I keep them, so going to order plenty new ones today
Mini Saucer Kit (Already have) going to have a play assembling in my lunch hr.
Foam / Novus / Millwax (Already have)

Other than LED's that should make a busy weekend!

Parts:

Scoop plastic - smashed - lucky PH have one! (Ordered)

Yes that one was a git to find when i was looking for one. The other which was a pain was the one on the left of the central targets - always breaking, however managed to find a repro for that one too :)

2 Rubbers, surely not correct?

Or is it recommended?

2 Rubbers.JPG

that should have a plastic on (;)), however AFAIK there's only one on mine....

All going back together well.... a couple of questions

(1) Anyone on here put a LCD screen in their Pin2K?

(2) The glass, okay to clean using normal glass cleaner / foaming foam? I assume it has a reflective element, on the underside or topside?

The problem with P2K and LEDs is the bulb-failure detection. The lamps are measured for resistance to see if the bulb has failed which is why it thinks LEDs have failed. In order to do this is pulses a low-voltage through the lamps which does nothing to an incandescent lamp as it's too brief but causes an LED to flicker.

Almost 2 weeks later of cleaning..... now going back together, new rubbers and post sleeves etc

Top left of playfield

Top Left.JPG

Top Right

Top Right.JPG

Ramps

Shiny Ramp1.JPGShiny Ramp 2.JPG

Shiny Parts.JPGReassemble.JPG Back on.JPG

New Flippers

New Flippers.JPG

Saucer Mods

Saucer Mod 1.JPG

Repro part.... not a good colour match :(

SOL Repro.JPG

Monitor has issues with HV transformer. Have decided to replace with a flat screen, currently working with a cga/vga converter, but picture still needs some work.

Updated status to complete. Finished months ago, will post some pictures soon. LCD screen done, saucer mods done and no faults.

Have a look of the tech help page at the LCD monitor I put in my RFM - works a treat and I have LEDs in mine, which don't flicker at all

Kev

Forgot to say on the shop log I am re-decaling at the moment as well

Kev

Back
Top Bottom