What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFM playfield in need of some TLC

Skippy

Registered
Hello chaps, and chapesses!

Having found myself with this beast, i would like to get it to a reasonable state.

From what i can initially see playfield is OK, however i am after getting it sorted, so wondered if anyone here would like to quote for some work, and the list goes like this:

• Clean playfield up
  • Fit Cliffys
  • Replace incandescent with full LED set
  • Re rubber (where necessary probably not the whole lot)

it currently has 22 bulbs out and 3 switches being reported as not well.

If anyone can help and looking for some work drop me a PM please.

Ta

Skip.

You should have a go at doing it yourself these playfields can come right out, they are connected with about 6 plugs that are easy to disconnect

Hello chaps, and chapesses!

Having found myself with this beast, i would like to get it to a reasonable state.

From what i can initially see playfield is OK, however i am after getting it sorted, so wondered if anyone here would like to quote for some work, and the list goes like this:

• Clean playfield up
  • Fit Cliffys
  • Replace incandescent with full LED set
  • Re rubber (where necessary probably not the whole lot)

it currently has 22 bulbs out and 3 switches being reported as not well.

If anyone can help and looking for some work drop me a PM please.

Ta

Skip.
@CHRIS B PINBALLS

22 lamps out ?
That says to me most likely 22 LEDs fitted as this system shows LEDs as a fault , am I right in thinking you bought this off here ,as he said it was spot on working ?
When I did mine I found it a easy machine to work on so have a go yourself . I did not need to take the playfield out or disconnected any connections ,put I did do this ....IMG_20191018_202937535.jpg
What I do recommend is to send the computer to Jim @myPinballs and let him give it a service plus you could have his code install in it as well which accommodates LEDs in this system !

Yes, as carl says 22 lamp out means the game currently doesnt understand leds most likely. Put the game into all lamp test and look physically at the lamps flashing on and off. If they are LEDs then they will be reported as bad unless you upgrade to use my new v2.2 software.

If you want to send me your computer box as mentioned above then yes i can service it and update to the latest software at same time. Drop me a pm.

Box playfield up along with computer and get Jim to overhaul it. He's an expert with RFM's..

By the way Jim, Iove the new code.. The other nite I reached midnight madness which was fun. Got me pumped for my next game which took me all the way to Mothership multi ball.. However I was so pumped on keeping the balls going I couldn't look up to see how to reach Attach from Mars.:thumbs:

Box playfield up along with computer and get Jim to overhaul it. He's an expert with RFM's..

By the way Jim, Iove the new code.. The other nite I reached midnight madness which was fun. Got me pumped for my next game which took me all the way to Mothership multi ball.. However I was so pumped on keeping the balls going I couldn't look up to see how to reach Attach from Mars.:thumbs:

Thank you 👍 Appreciate the kind words. Knowing that people are enjoying the additions, makes the effort worthwhile

Jim is the RFM man on here, managed to dig out a few photo's showing the playfield removal and the plugs.
I dragged mine out and then set up on a small table and re feed the connectors back through the open coin door lot easier to work on, less back breaking.
IMG_1500.JPGIMG_1919.JPGIMG_1920.JPGIMG_2141.JPGIMG_2294.JPGIMG_2352.JPGIMG_2354.JPG

Thanks for the pics, i have been poking about in mine, this beasty looks original top to bottom, it has some super old code on it 0.9, original computer with the typical fan "groaning" as it spins. Mine has a cream/white cover over the power board. Are there any serial numbers on these things that tell me where it is the production run?

Jim @myPinballs has very kindly quoted for work on my machine, tossing up a few options.
I found 3 broken plastics on it, but the playfield is in good shape, just everything is as black as the ace of spades, looks like i have been down a mine shaft whenever i start pulling it about.

Here are a few pick of the internals of mine.

The most funny thing is the use of a p2000 keyfob as a bodge to fix the plastic on plastic2 on the top left.

The translite is split assume this is just heat caused it to go brittle, the decals are well scarred, but you dont see it when its pushed back, the legs are all wrong but hey, its standing up, so the externals is "phase 2", i want to get it playing nice first. It plays ok now, 3 rollover switches out, and +22 bulbs i gave up counting on the diag screen (no it not LEDs). Oh and no external power switch, i hunted high and low on the cabinet, all i found was the big red button on the computer internally.

Attachments

• 20200111_132524.jpg
    20200111_132524.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200111_133145.jpg
    20200111_133145.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200111_133208.jpg
    20200111_133208.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200111_133216.jpg
    20200111_133216.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200111_133301.jpg
    20200111_133301.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200111_133458.jpg
    20200111_133458.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, i have been poking about in mine, this beasty looks original top to bottom, it has some super old code on it 0.9, original pc with the typical fan "groaning" as it spins. Mine has a cream/white cover over the power board. Are there any serial numbers on these things that tell me where it is the production run?

Jim @myPinballs has very kindly quoted for work on my machine, tossing up a few options.
I found 3 broken plastics on it, but the playfield is in good shape, just everything is as black as the ace of spades, looks like i have been down a mine shaft whenever i start pulling it about.

Here are a few pick of the internals of mine.

The most funny thing is the use of a p2000 keyfob as a bodge to fix the plastic on plastic2 on the top left.

The translite is split assume this is just heat caused it to go brittle, the decals are well scarred, but you dont see it when its pushed back, the legs are all wrong but hey, its standing up, so the externals is "phase 2", i want to get it playing nice first. It plays ok now, 3 rollover switches out, and +22 bulbs i gave up counting on the diag screen (no it not LEDs).

If its running v0.9 then that means the flash update on the prism card is corrupt, or someone tried to do an update that failed, so its reverted back to the roms only. All fixable.

If its running v0.9 then that means the flash update on the prism card is corrupt, or someone tried to do an update that failed, so its reverted back to the roms only. All fixable.
Ahhhh thanks @myPinballs , i pulled the computer out to inspect it, that wouldn't be caused by the onboard battery going flat then?
The prism card was not screwed in on the backplane, it was the only slot with no screw in fact.

Last edited:
Ahhhh thanks @myPinballs , i pulled the computer out to inspect it, that wouldn't be caused by the onboard battery going flat then?
The prism card was not screwed in on the backplane, it was the only slot with no screw in fact.

No, the updates are stored in flash ram. There is 4mb flash ram on the prism card, which in 1998 was alot and very expensive!! The system has a backup so the game will keep running, even if the update gets corrupted because the original game release is stored on physical rom. The update overrides this unless it fails at boot. Very clever system for the time. Just another reason why pin2k is the best :)

Put it in all lamp test and make note of the ones which do not work ! With the machine switched off change about 3 or 4 lamps at first just to make sure they are bad lamps /bad connections to lamp board ?Do one job at a time lamps or switches !

To take the lamps out of the spotlights I found using a yellow rubber sleeve post gets them out :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom