What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold RFM - £1500

Ross Hamilton

Registered
I've taken some pictures and a couple of videos, I think they should be available in a Google Photos album here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FHPkVwzYnW6TCJbJ3

... I'll flesh out the following notes tomorrow when I can check if all the photos uploaded correctly.

The good points - playfield is in good shape, it has been converted to a modern(ish!) PC and monitor (some people prefer the original hardware but for me having it run on replaceable/repairable hardware is a plus point!), cabinet not faded. The MyPinballs saucer mod is fabulous. The strip light has been replaced with a modern LED one, I'm not so keen on this to be honest.

The bad points - the PC and monitor aren't very well mounted, and there are two "on" switches because it hasn't been wired up very cleverly. The amplifier is noisy, I don't think it is very good. There are a few scratches here and there on the cabinet and glass, and the vinyl is bubbled/torn a bit (see pics). The slignshot switches aren't great, I don't think they're the right ones (they tend to bend out of shape and need re-adjusting from time to time). The back box lock has been broken out and the back panel is just secured with a pivoting metal strap. The PC it came with died on me, so I replaced it with a similar spec one, but it had a much smaller case. I wedged it tight in the retaining bracket with a few old novels. In theory it was a temporary repair, in practise I never came back to it. The buyer can keep the books :)

Tomorrow I will try to find time to take off the glass and get some good pics of the playfield.

---

Added a couple of pretty crummy videos, but you can see it fires up:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FWxmuSYwTJB0k1xZQfS05U04SsKll_DE

Last edited:
Hi, is there any wear to the playfield? Where are you based? Is the cab in good condition?

Thanks

Kevin

I'm in Lincolnshire, not far from Skegness. The playfield is pretty good I'd say, no big wear patches or significant damage anywhere. I will take lots of pics tomorrow. The offer price is really there in case one of my mates who knows the machine wants to get it for "mates rates", rather than to trick anyone into buying it unseen! I'd much rather someone who doesn't know me or the machine came and saw it first. It used to belong to Tim Sampson until a couple of years ago, so if you know Tim's collection you may have seen it there.

Is it a Dell PC held up by a metal bracket and does it have an LED tube in the backbox?

Edit: Just seen the message confirming that it is ex mine. Yes, that's a MyPinballs saucer kit and I also added plastic rods to enhance the light. It's been a while since I had a pin but that'll be changing soon. I'd buy this back if I had the money and space.

I would say it's a bit of a bargain considering the saucer kit.

Last edited:
Sorry for being a bit slow to reply to people, I'm rushed off my feet this morning trying to get out of the door and over to the Christmas Cracker competition...
I've taken some pictures and a couple of videos, I think they should be uploading to a Google Photos album here:

... I'll add some very brief notes now, and more this evening when I'm back again.

The good points - playfield in good shape, converted to a modern(ish!) PC and monitor (some people prefer the original hardware but for me having it run on replaceable/repairable hardware is a plus point!), cabinet not faded. MyPinballs saucer mod is fabulous. The strip light has been replaced with a modern LED one.

The bad points - the PC and monitor aren't very well mounted, and there are two "on" switches because it hasn't been wired up very cleverly. The amplifier is noisy, I don't think it is very good. There are a few scratches here and there on the cabinet and glass, and the vinyl is buddle/torn a bit (see pics). The slignshot switches aren't great, I don't think they're the right ones (they tend to bend out of shape and need re-adjusting from time to time).

Run out of time now, will add more later.

Absolute bargain. The saucer kit looks very cool with the acrylic rods added. Did it to mine.
Good luck with the sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is that not sold yet? Paid more for mine earlier this year and it wasn' t as good as this one. Dow.

I didn't have any issues with the amp when it was mine, I believe it's the same amp that Heighway put in their machines. It might have developed a fault but I have a vague memory that there was something causing a bit of interference that could be moved a bit, or maybe it doesn't like the new PC. Not very helpful I suppose, but it's not a big job or expense if it does need replacing.

I didn't have any issues with the amp when it was mine, I believe it's the same amp that Heighway put in their machines. It might have developed a fault but I have a vague memory that there was something causing a bit of interference that could be moved a bit, or maybe it doesn't like the new PC. Not very helpful I suppose, but it's not a big job or expense if it does need replacing.
It's definitely some kind of interference - I've been meaning to try plugging in a set of amplified PC speakers to see if it is noisy coming out of the PC or noise introduced elsewhere - I'm pretty certain it was about as noisy when it had the original PC that was in it when I bought it from you, but that one died after only a week or two, so I can't double check!

Sadly not, I would really like an Ultrapin/PinMAME system one day, but right now I'm strapped for cash and just need to sell it :-(

The sound issue is an easy fix - Ive done a few RFM conversions!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Isolator-H...id=1513902174&sr=8-5&keywords=audio+isolation

Put one of these into the PC audio out - then plug the amp into the other side. You are hearing a grounding issue.

Thanks for that tip!

Still for sale, and I've added some more photos and videos of it playing here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wa25afltq4weaOgA2

Something I forgot to mention is that the software is running off a solid state hard disk rather than a mechanical one.

I have had four separate offers of £1350, you all know who you are... I do think £1500 is a fair price for this, but if I don't get any takers soon I will start coming back to those people shortly.

p.s. sorry the first three videos are fairly rubbish. My 2 year old can play fine until I pick up the camera, at which point she suddenly can't find the flipper buttons! Every time!
Fortunately my oldest lad, William, plays well and in his videos you can see most of the features of the game. The saucer lights mod kit, I'm sure you'll agree, is stunning.

p.s. sorry the first three videos are fairly rubbish. My 2 year old can play fine until I pick up the camera, at which point she suddenly can't find the flipper buttons! Every time!
Fortunately my oldest lad, William, plays well and in his videos you can see most of the features of the game. The saucer lights mod kit, I'm sure you'll agree, is stunning.
Just to spice it up I’ll offer £1300.....you happy now!

I've taken some pictures and a couple of videos, I think they should be available in a Google Photos album here:

... I'll flesh out the following notes tomorrow when I can check if all the photos uploaded correctly.

The good points - playfield is in good shape, it has been converted to a modern(ish!) PC and monitor (some people prefer the original hardware but for me having it run on replaceable/repairable hardware is a plus point!), cabinet not faded. The MyPinballs saucer mod is fabulous. The strip light has been replaced with a modern LED one, I'm not so keen on this to be honest.

The bad points - the PC and monitor aren't very well mounted, and there are two "on" switches because it hasn't been wired up very cleverly. The amplifier is noisy, I don't think it is very good. There are a few scratches here and there on the cabinet and glass, and the vinyl is bubbled/torn a bit (see pics). The slignshot switches aren't great, I don't think they're the right ones (they tend to bend out of shape and need re-adjusting from time to time). The back box lock has been broken out and the back panel is just secured with a pivoting metal strap. The PC it came with died on me, so I replaced it with a similar spec one, but it had a much smaller case. I wedged it tight in the retaining bracket with a few old novels. In theory it was a temporary repair, in practise I never came back to it. The buyer can keep the books :)

Tomorrow I will try to find time to take off the glass and get some good pics of the playfield.

---

Added a couple of pretty crummy videos, but you can see it fires up:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FWxmuSYwTJB0k1xZQfS05U04SsKll_DE
Hey Ross,don't spose you'd be able to fully fix all the bits and bobs not 100%? I fancy this, but I'm a total noob and DIY tosser, so really looking for a pin thats 100% sorted and ready to play.

Back
Top Bottom