What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro pie raspberry 4 Install / upgrade Help

SeikoKid

Site Supporter
Hi, i have an arcade machine that i purchased pre made by a company from UK. it uses pi4 keyboard and is fully working with games

i’ve been asking the maker to about light guns and dreamcast games etc which he keeps promising but still waiting months later and been told to buy the sinden guns which now have been in the box for months waiting

spoke with arcade geeks who said it’s really simple to download the lighting games and other consoles and just add them to my existing sytme

ha ha ha, so i need help in doing this please

Im prepared to pay for a service , could someone assist ?

Thanks

Putting the games on is the easy part but a lot of the time will be spent setting up your sinden guns due to the nature of how they configure. I have my sindens set up with a capable PC and technoparrot so I can run the very latest stuff Like Tomb Raider, Jurrasic Park, Rambo ect ect. However I gabe my setup to a mate and it wasnt just Plug and Prey but needed a lot of configuration on his side.
I am not even sure a Pi4 is capable enough to run the very latest games so maybe head over to https://www.arcadepunks.com/ and see what the general consensus is.

There are some great Pi frontends but I have always found they will still need set up for your particular system configuration. Sorry I cant help further as I'm backlogged with projects have a Tokyo trip soon and a flurry of hospital appointments with upcoming Major Op.

I don’t know sorry. where do i look ? i honestly don’t have the time for torrents and downloads etc. i’ve been asking almost every company in the uk to help and getting nice feedback but am happy to pay for someone to sort it out for me . i did build a pi3 system but i did have alot of help and it was when kids were babies

You're probably best off going back to the company. I'd need SSH access to the box so I could do it remotely.

that’s why i’m asking on here cos i’m not getting any help from the guy. I asked bitcade but they are reluctant

and just spoke with arcade geeks who were super helpfull and told me to check out arcade punks but it’s back to torrents and hours and hours trying to sort it

i’m running raspberry pi4 keyboard -

I’ve managed to get some help now and unlock the machine and get it online. I assume it’s now ready for remote log on ?

@Colywobbles - thanks for the info - i’m not knowledgable enough to know what to look for on there. i would be very interested in getting the same set up as you. Originally i was only after retro but i now wish i’d gone to whole hog and got everything. Would your mate be interested in building me a working system ?

I’ve managed to get some help now and unlock the machine and get it online. I assume it’s now ready for remote log on ?

@Colywobbles - thanks for the info - i’m not knowledgable enough to know what to look for on there. i would be very interested in getting the same set up as you. Originally i was only after retro but i now wish i’d gone to whole hog and got everything. Would your mate be interested in building me a working system ?
I build the systems purely for myself as I know 1st hand just how much hassle they can be in the wrong hands and can easily go wrong.
In your case it really is learning how to do it yourself as MAME cabs are always a permanent WIP anyways.

best of luck

Understood. If i have more free time i would be able to spend time on it. When the boys were toddlers in the evenings i did some screen alterations and rotated one on my 1 UP and had to change the programming in the pi and set up the buttons but each game had issues with the emulators and we eventually all got bored of it and such i paid out for one that was complete and set up - all is fine but now see i want and could have more games and light guns at hand. But i don’t have hours in the evening to set it all up and i also realised my programming knowledge is limited - just to ditch the entire cabinet and then buy another just for the internals seems madness and a waste of money

Did you manage to allow access from the web?

ok, so i have it now connected to the wi-fi and got the ip address of the
machine -

That will be the private ip address you need to allow access from the outside via your router.

ok, is that something you can help me with this evening ? i’m able to get on the router page at home and perhaps allow that ?

Have a look on Google as there will be plenty of guides on port forwarding.

Thanks to Arv for trying to hook up remotely. Sadly my vodafone router doesn’t allow port 22 so that made that not possible . If there is anyone else who has an idea or is knowledgeable of someone who build pc units for arcade cabinets like cols i’d be really up for a chat

Ok, good news - i’ve found someone who can help. The RPi4 is sidelined and gone for a hyper spin system fully supplied and set up
I just have to do a few modifications which given the condition once i looked inside i’m happy to take on and can sort over the next few weeks
The sinden guns have been scrapped in favour of these

I’ve had to strip down the cabinet so the terrible wiring has gone and now can put some better speakers in. i’m planning on using the existing amp unless there is a more suitable unit but really have spent enough now so would prefer to keep.
Any suggestions on the speakers or the ones i got for my spike 2 upgrade will suffice ?

It will now support V pin and i’m installing buttons left and right for this -

I do have one question if some knows. The monitor has been mounted like so. with a strip of wood across the middle to hold it in. I have to fit led sensors top , bottom left and right now so all the mounts are in the way. is there a better way of affixing the monitor ?

Attachments

• 6ED4ADB9-9813-484D-8672-D426381B8458.jpeg
    6ED4ADB9-9813-484D-8672-D426381B8458.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 86A56FD6-C63B-45A9-9162-3C7BADFAB2C5.jpeg
    86A56FD6-C63B-45A9-9162-3C7BADFAB2C5.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 18
It should be fixed in place using the VESA mounts on the back of the monitor a bit like this I’ve just fixed in place in mine.

4E23FC58-2631-4D96-A727-451680304C13.jpeg

Not finished but getting there. Still need to fix the marquee and finish my CP layout but its all up running now and useable.

2B7998DF-94EE-4634-AE2D-592242A080A2.jpeg

But yours isn’t in a cabinet like mine..

I think i need to adapt something around the corners

I don’t know for sinden but the ones i’m getting you fit leds to the sides of the monitor surround

i’ve heard sinden gets confused with external light source but i don’t know anymore than that

You can take the LCD screen out of the plastic case, and sometimes (often?!?) there will be a metal frame around the lcd panel, that previously attached to the bezel with some mechanical fixings. That frame can be used to affix to a cabinet instead. Whether feasible and how complex that is as a task would depend on the specific design inside your monitor case, but I've done it previously with a Dell.

If you dont want that RPI4 i'm sure i could put it to good use.......
Noted. It does have a full program abs games set up on it
I would like to get my new system up and running first before i make any decisions but i’m aware of your interest

whilst i have you are you interested in this foc ?

Attachments

• B293EC80-4BCB-4958-A42C-3A19CC930736.jpeg
    B293EC80-4BCB-4958-A42C-3A19CC930736.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 15
Noted. It does have a full program abs games set up on it
I would like to get my new system up and running first before i make any decisions but i’m aware of your interest

whilst i have you are you interested in this foc ?
Very kind of you, however i already have (assuming it still works as havent used it for a while!) a Tectronix Dual trace scope somewhere... Thank you for thinking of me though!!

But yours isn’t in a cabinet like mine..

I think i need to adapt something around the corners
I’m guessing this cab is a homebrew one. I’ve made dozens of cabs and always, always fit a vesa bracket to hold it secure apart from the early days of making a 4:3 Rotating one.

There are a few companies making decent flat pack ones now really cheap. They are 18mm bomb proof and solid as a rock like mine. Saves all the hassle just Chuck your own bits in and a Raspi. I’ve gone full blown Gaming Rig with 2080Ti as this is now my game station.

Out of interest - how do light guns work on modern monitors? I always thought you needed CRTs to run light gun games.......
I have a pair of Sinden guns they put a white border around the games whichnis hardly noticeable and the guns are super accurate.
I can play all the latest stuff like Jurassic Park, HOTD 5, Tomb Raider, Rambo ect ect.
They are however a faff to set up.

Ok, thanks for the input. Im slowly getting there. System is up and running, just need to clean up a few things and install some usb ports. Ill show what I have done at the end to save some time

The crappy speakers need upgrading. Does anyone have suggestions for 2 stereo speakers that will give decent sound without having to spend a fortune

For example- the ones I just upgraded my spike 2 system with are these ok? or will they struggle ?

Back
Top Bottom