What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Result of my first trial run of newly acquired 1974 triple action machine.

Pinball newby.

Registered
Hi Folks
I'm not sure if I am putting this in the right section as I am a total novice to all things pinball but please feel free to move it.
I have bought an old 1974 segasa triple action game.(IPSND/IPDB No 2649)
I hoovered the loose dirt off the playfield (it has been kept in a garage for a while).Cleaned the ball and the top glass and then fired it up.

1.I switched on the switch (bot right) and whirring and clunking was heard but there was no sign of the ball.
2.I pressed the start button.The deep whirring went a little quieter and was accompanied by some clicking.
3.I worked out that after stage 2 I have to turn off the switch underneath and then turn on again and the ball will appear ready to be played.
4.I fire the ball and enjoy a few minutes of play (well I am a novice after all!)Whilst playing I notice the score doesn't go up as I play (is this normal?)
5.The ball passes the flippers and goes down the hole(or goes around them) and the score reels move well just the first three (is that correct?)
6.The three reels stop advancing and I press the start button again.When I do this the last two reels advance and the ball is presented for play again.
7. As I play again I notice the third score reel is stuck between 8 and 9 and jiggles as I play.Some thing definately wrong there.Is it an easy fix?
8.Finally the reels didn't start on 00000 is there a way to reset them or should it be happening automatically ?

I realise I am probably opening a can of worms here especially with my total lack of knowledge but I have to start somewhere :)

Here is a short video of it in initial clunking mode.1.

All answers to my questions and comments even if along the lines od Ho! Ho! you were sold a right nail there!

gratefully accepted.

Cheers Alick

That initial clunking is the game trying to reset itself to a state from which you can start a game. One of the things it's trying to do is reset all the score reels to 0 but I'm guessing they're jammed up (which is why they don't move properly) and that's why you hear the score motor just constantly clicking over.

First thing you need to do is try and find a schematic for this game and the second thing is to read Clays guide on how to get EM's working:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

You've certainly given yourself a challenge for your first ever pinball machine :) I hope you didn't pay much for this game :thumbs:

Thanks for your reply ronsplooter.I have been reading bits and pieces from the interweb and will read the one you suggest above too.Yes I noticed the last two score reels do reset at the end/start of the game while the first two advance and the third appears to jiggle in its stuck position.

errm how much is too much? I probably did overpay at £400 but that's the price of inexperience:-(

Cheers Alick

The guide I've linked too above gives a way of getting an EM working without using the schematic. It basically involves going through all of the main parts step by step so it might be the best approach for you. Just take your time and be methodical and you'll get it working. As long as its not missing parts then any EM can be got working, it just needs a lot of cleaning and patience :thumbs:

Segasa EM's aren't on the list of super desirable or rare EM's so it depends on condition of the playfield, backglass and cabinet. For a fully working example of this game I'd expect to pay around £250 to £300, maybe up to £400 if it was an absolute minter and I was really after that title. Non working like yours I wouldn't want to pay more than £150 to £200. The good news is, because you're in the EM world even though you overpaid you still got a pinball machine for £400 so in the grand scheme of things not a big deal. It's not like you paid £2500 for a game thats only worth £1200 say :thumbs:

Have a read of that guide and set to work, just be careful and don't rush things and before you know it you'll have a working game and the satisfaction of knowing you brought it back to life and saved it :D

J
That initial clunking is the game trying to reset itself to a state from which you can start a game. One of the things it's trying to do is reset all the score reels to 0 but I'm guessing they're jammed up (which is why they don't move properly) and that's why you hear the score motor just constantly clicking over.

First thing you need to do is try and find a schematic for this game and the second thing is to read Clays guide on how to get EM's working:

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

You've certainly given yourself a challenge for your first ever pinball machine :) I hope you didn't pay much for this game :thumbs:

Just been reading Clay's guide.Looks like just the info I am looking for I have already found my coin door switches are affecting things so am going to follow the steps to make it free play and check they are set correctly plus doing more that he recommends before I switch on again.:clap:

J

Just been reading Clay's guide.Looks like just the info I am looking for I have already found my coin door switches are affecting things so am going to follow the steps to make it free play and check they are set correctly plus doing more that he recommends before I switch on again.:clap:
I'm also a (relative) noobie and bought a non working EM to learn how they work. I used Clay's guide to systematically go through my Trail Drive and after a couple of weeks of patient cleaning and un-jamming I turned it on and it worked perfectly! The only parts I had to buy were rubbers and fuses. So well done and stick with it!

Hi Jb3d
Thank you for your encouragement I bought my machine with a view to learning some new skills.I have been eagerly reading Clays guide and am loving it :).
Cheers
Alick

Hi Jb3d
Thank you I am loving clays guide and have yet another question.(machine is segasa Triple action ipdb 2649)
The fuse holder appears to have a wire in the top holder instead of a fuse(when I looked at ipdb pics it looked to be empty)
Surely this is not right?? I have tried to decipher the label too see below.
20160321_195026.jpg
I can't quite see if there are four fuses on the label but reading from the bottom it is like this.
Red 10 seen here.20160321_195026.jpg

above this I can see the top edge of the label
showing 6 Volt 10 A and the letters CABE with 6Volt table 15 A below it. is there a bit of the label I can't see that shows the other fuse or is the top holder supposed to be empty?

20160321_195330.jpg

If someone can clarify I will be grateful

Many Thanks
Alick

Attachments

• 20160321_195326.jpg
    20160321_195326.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 4
Difficult to see from your photo but the fuse holder with brown with white wire at one end of the fuse holder and brown on the other should have a 10A fuse I think. Is that the colour of the wires in the fuse holder in question.

The thin wire looks like someone has run out of fuses and just put fusewire in instead possibly?

In any case one of the first things I would do with your machine is replace all the fuse holders with new ones, and put new fuses in. Nothing worse than trying to figure out a fault and it's just bad connections from rusty old fuse holders and rusty fuses...

Last edited:
Unscrew the fuse holder and the wiring holder so that you can lift them up and get a good look at that label that has the relevant information on as to the rating of the fuses. Then replace the lot as @Mfresh says.

Hi Mfresh and Moonraker
Thanks for your replies
I think you are right about the fuse wire in the top holder and as Moonraker says if I change the holder I will get a better look at the label too.
Incidently although I know nothing about pinball machines if anyone has any questions about woodwork for me I am a cabinetmaker with 30yrs experience :)
Many Thanks
Alick:clap:

Ok so I took the fuse holder off and now know which fuses I need but there are so many on Maplins and R.S components site I am finding it difficult to locate the right ones. The label says 6V 10A for the first one 6V 15A for the second 24V 15A for the third and the fourth just says RED 10A
They are all 6mm dia by 32mm approx.
Does anyone use Maplins or R.S for their fuses and know which ones will suit? Their technical help can't seem to help!
Many Thanks
Alick

Send an email to Andy @pinballmania through his website and he'll sort you out :thumbs:

http://www.pinballmania.co.uk/

This is sound advice. The Pinball Mania website is a bit year 2000 in style, but half the time you don't know the name of the part you are looking for anyway, so a flashy website isn't helpful. The great thing is you just email in a vague description of what you are looking for and your machine and Andy will identify the right part for you straight away - takes the guess work out of it.

Back
Top Bottom