What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RESOLVED - Mini virtual pin issue

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
Only the power on/power off button at the back seems to be working. What's the correct way to take these apart to troubleshoot?

mini pin.jpg

What happens? Does it power up at all?
Don't know these specifically, but I've built a few VPins

The power button will be connected to the soft-on pins of the motherboard, so if the issue is you have no controls, but the power button works that makes sense
In that case it's probably the interface board that converts the button inputs into keyboard presses, could be a dead IPAC (or whatever they used in these) but more likely a loose cable/missing ground on the button harness.
Looking at it, I suspect you'll need to remove the playfield screen to get at the guts of it

Yeah, it boots up fine. Just none of the buttons work. Can't change games, can't select game, can't coin up.....so I'm guessing all the buttons aren't working. I presume it's just one connector internally? Was going to take it apart and check it out but just need to know the correct way for this type of build.

It'll be a USB cable into a controller board and from there an individual wire out to each button and a ground daisy chain to all of them.
As you're getting no buttons at all its going to be the USB connection, a fried board or a missing ground I suspect.
The wiring is dead easy, if you have to change the controller it's a bit more involved unless you can get a like-for-like (I assume they use the cheapest chinese ones rather than IPACs/Pinscape), but still not too taxing.

Looks like the screen will come up, are those locks at the front of it on the chrome?

They're screws. I'll unscrew them tonight if I get the chance. Hopefully, it's just the USB connector being loose. Thanks!

Sounds like you remove the trim and Perspex/glass and then lift the screen out.

Once you're inside it here is a pic of what the relevant boards look like
Pinscape on the left, IPAC on the right, yours may look a bit different depending on what they've used, but gives you an idea of what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom