What's new

Reproducing my damaged backglasses

pastiche

Registered
Having had no luck in finding replacement backglasses for my Teacher's Pet and Flash pinballs I was left with two choices. I could try and retouch them or start from scratch and recreate new ones. The Teacher's Pet glass was in two pieces when I got it, so no choice on that one. The Flash glass was in a pretty sorry state as well so I have decided to go for replacements on both.
I am trying a different approach on each to see which works best. The Teacher's Pet glass will be reproduced using Photoshop and Flash with Illustrator. I have had a long chat with a client of mine who happens to run a sign making company and he has agreed to try different printing methods to find a way of printing and applying them to glass to give the most authentic look to the finished product.
teachers_pet_screen_shot.jpg flash_screenshot1.jpg flash_screenshot2.jpg Early days but here is where we are at the moment....

I have a lot of respect for you for taking this on. Please keep us updated with your experience and how you get on.

Keeping an eye on this with mega interestg.
Well done this could help out so many other people with glasses they thought would never be able to fix or get 're done.

Thanks for your comments.
I will give you a running commentary listing any problems I come up against as well as images showing progress.
The redrawing is a very time consuming job but surprisingly satisfying when you see the new artwork emerging. I only hope it all works when we put the light shield behind and shine the backboard lights through. My main concern is that the colours might look a bit washed out, but the signmaker says that with modern inks this is not a problem. We shall see!

Im presuming you have scanned the art work in? Theres an auto trace option in illistrator that may speed things along.
I too will follow with interest

Hi Mooseman,
We tried that but the problem is all the dots in the background. In auto trace it just joins them all up into one big shape.
Maybe I am being over critical but I also find it is not precise enough to get the effect I want.

Oh well thats a shame as could of speeded the process.
Keep up the good work

For everyone's information we did not scan the originals as scanning through the glass meant that focusing was a real issue. We took multiple photo's using a digital SLR and then patched them together to get a full size image. This was then used as a template to create a new image at full size. For colour matching we obviously can't use the photographed screen shots so we are matching the colours from the originals with a Pantone colour matching system.

Printing to translite is no problem, but I am interested to see if you are able to come up with a good solution for printing to glass in low volumes.

You can also guarantee that you are not going to be the only person in the world who wants a Flash backglass, so might be worth getting some spares made at the same time to

Yes, I know what you mean. Our supplier reckons he has an idea re printing onto glass but I'm not sure how cost effective it will be even if it is possible.
Obviously printing onto glass would be our first choice but I think we may end up printing onto vinyl and then applying it. We will see!

I'm even more desperate for this to succeed since my Paragon arrived today with a repro translite instead of a backglass!! Which he "forgot" to mention!!!!:mad:
Wouldn't mind so much if the translite wasn't such **** quality but it's proper pixelated.

Hi Pastiche

For manipulating scanned artwork worth having a look at this website/product to see if it will speed things up for you:

Www.vectormagic.com

You can try it free of charge to see what sort of results you get and if itvwould speed your pricess, but can't download results. If you like what you see (and the ease of use) subscribing for a month or so might save you a lot of time.

It is excellent at taking images (ranging from full photos to blurry scanned logos from letterhead) and converting them to vector based images (taking out all the 'noise' of background dots that you typically get with illustrator trace functions very easily and controlllably). You can easily then set vectored shapes to relevant pantones etc for the printing.

We use it regularly at work ( I run a sign making business) when trying to work with 'rubbish' artwork from clients (e.g. Low res Jpegs from websites) that clients are trying to present as 'print-ready' artwork for us to use.

Nb: I would concur with your client sign maker that with the combination of print settings & materials to print on you should be able to get a good result for back-illumination

For manipulating scanned artwork worth having a look at this website/product to see if it will speed things up for you:

Www.vectormagic.com
I had a go with Vector Magic in an attempt to vectorise an scan of a NOS Paragon playfield. It actually did an excellent job of the test but to do the complete image would require the full desktop version ($295) instead of the monthly subscription ($7.95/month). The on-line version would be great for doing small items like playfield plastics but a backglass or playfield would need the full desktop version (it also has advanced settings and other options not available online).

I'm even more desperate for this to succeed since my Paragon arrived today with a repro translite instead of a backglass!! Which he "forgot" to mention!!!!:mad:
Wouldn't mind so much if the translite wasn't such **** quality but it's proper pixelated.
@Gaz Shiells I'm gutted for you...

I will certainly go and look at Vector Magic. I think I remember using it on something a few years ago as we also have problems with bad artwork from clients.
To be honest though, I am enjoying drawing them from scratch. I don't usually draw on the computer as my clients prefer the old fashioned pens, pencils and watercolours!

Dr Pinball (the Romainian one not the English one) now does replacement backglasses for a few machines, including Data East Simpsons which I got a replacement translite last year.

No idea of the quality etc but I might see about a replacement backglass instead of the translite if its not to extortionate

Shipping glass over seas is not recomended. Its a accident waiting to happen.

I had a go with Vector Magic in an attempt to vectorise an scan of a NOS Paragon playfield. It actually did an excellent job of the test but to do the complete image would require the full desktop version ($295) instead of the monthly subscription ($7.95/month). The on-line version would be great for doing small items like playfield plastics but a backglass or playfield would need the full desktop version (it also has advanced settings and other options not available online).

Ahhhh - hadn't realised the restrictions on the online version ( we originally stared using many years ago when it was freeware and being developed as part of a Phd project, it then got swapped to paid for software & we bought a couple of licences - but at that time it was a lot less than $295). Price now must reflect how good/popular it's become

This forum needs you dude

Always happy to try and assist if possible/practical - it seems to be one of the defining features of this forum that there are a lot of people with knowledge & experience across a lot of pinball & non pinball areas who are happy to chip in with useful info etc as & when needed/relevant

Totally agree Nickbs. I have always been amazed at how helpful and generous the members of this forum are. It certainly makes things a lot easier for us without much technical know how!

We have been working on the backglasses again today. Time consuming but satisfying!!
Progress so far....

flash_screenshot3.jpg

teachers_pet_screenshot2.jpg

Did some more of the Teacher's Pet artwork today.
It's getting there!!

teachers_pet_screenshot3.jpg

Coming along nicely.

I have to say this is making me seriously consider trying to make a repro of my R&B backglass. It's got the usual damage on Bullwinkles nose and i'm fairly handy with Photoshop. Then of course there's just the small matter of how you'd get it printed onto the mirror.

Might have to do some digging around online.

Hi Wiredworm,
Looking at the artwork for your R&B it does look as if it is possible to recreate it fairly easily. I am talking to our signmaker on Friday and I will ask his advice on reproducing the mirrored finish.

Would love a translite for my BH - always panick handling that,let alone the gorgeous MGOW with it's insanely badly designed holding clips:cuckoo:

Being as you yourself admit the orig Flash artwork aint the best,maybe enhance the original one,so it still looks similar,but with more... pezazz?

Good work re Teachers Pet

To be honest, I am sorely tempted to do both a straight copy of the original and also design a new one which I can live with!
I think it would have to be similar so that it matches the playfield, but that should not present too many problems.
Once the Flash and Teacher's Pet are done (and thanks for the comment by the way), I will have a look at producing the artwork for another pin just for the fun of it.

On UKVAC, I'm actually trying to get reproduction glass sets printed. I may also be able to help out here. Print onto the glass and then get a white vinyl backing applied They can't print white you see.

Here are a couple of images: -

photo (2).JPG
photo (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom