What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing C28 & C42 on WPC95 A/V with higher UF value?

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Hello all,

A very helpful guy at work has just replaced the 10,000UF 35V caps on my Congo's WPC95 power and AV boards.
He did my AFM's WPC95 power board a while ago and it works well, so he's got the soldering skills.

However, for the Congo AV board; I'd ordered some new 220UF 160V caps to replace C28 & C42 (like for like, but with a better temp rating of 105deg, EDIT: turns out that's not what they're mean to be!) but they didn't turn up in time, so he's fitted 330UF 200V caps instead :(

My question is; will this higher UF still work?

I'm using a standard dot matrix for the time being until i can afford a ColorDMD.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited:
In fact, the AFM manual shows C28 & C42 as 150uf, not 220uf. So he's more than doubled the manual's listed capacitance value with 330uf!

image.jpeg

That's quite an increase on the original design spec. Best asking Luke Wells or Andy Netherwood. It could well be that the particular circuit isn't sensitive to the increase but best to be sure.

I'd say that's the only thing you need to consider is that the larger the cap the higher the inrush current why it is first switched on. I don't think there will be any ill effects. I'd imagine that designers choose the lowest value they can get away with for cost and space considerations.

I'd say that's the only thing you need to consider is that the larger the cap the higher the inrush current why it is first switched on. I don't think there will be any ill effects. I'd imagine that designers choose the lowest value they can get away with for cost and space considerations.
Thanks @pinballmania

Is there a specific fuse associated with this particular part of the system that might trip on startup? I think I read a line or two about that somewhere or other.

Ironically I now have the correct caps from RS (well, the ones I thought we're correct i.e. 220uf) and could ask him to swap them again, but I'm not heading that way again for a few weeks now. So I'd prefer to get the game back up and running again instead. I have 2 WPC95 games so 2 sets of boards knocking about, which could prove handy.

If they're in, leave them. The more you mess around with soldering things in and out the more likely you are to damage the tracks.

I'd say that's the only thing you need to consider is that the larger the cap the higher the inrush current why it is first switched on. I don't think there will be any ill effects.
I think the fuse to watch is F602, specified at 250mA, which I may change to a 315mA if I get any issues. I hope I read that somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom