What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repairing Wire-form Ramp

Robbie

Site Supporter
Hi, I have a wire-form ramp on fish tales, where one of the welds has come loose
Anyone have any experience fixing them?
Wondered if it was spot welded, or Tig?

Thanks
Rob

If you attempt to weld them it will heat the metal so much it will discolour it and look a bastard.

Solder won’t work as it won’t bond

The most successful way I’ve found to repair this is get an extremely thin gauge copper wire and wrap it very neatly and tightly around the join in a figure of 8. Then tie it off neatly cutting any excess. Then carefully flow solder over the copper wire, thus disguising it and if done properly looks very passable.

I’ve fixed a few wire forms for forum members now, so Im happy to help if needed 👍🏻

Have had good results finding local welding shops who can spot weld them for a beer.

Thanks for the replies, @Ant-H I will get some pictures to you tomorrow so you can see what you think
Considering getting them re-plated so would clean it up again
Rob

If you attempt to weld them it will heat the metal so much it will discolour it and look a bastard.

Solder won’t work as it won’t bond

The most successful way I’ve found to repair this is get an extremely thin gauge copper wire and wrap it very neatly and tightly around the join in a figure of 8. Then tie it off neatly cutting any excess. Then carefully flow solder over the copper wire, thus disguising it and if done properly looks very passable.
Thanks, I did this on some Robocop metalwork so a good option
Rob

Thanks for the replies, @Ant-H I will get some pictures to you tomorrow so you can see what you think
Considering getting them re-plated so would clean it up again
Rob
No worries mate. Send them over and I’ll take a look.

Back
Top Bottom