What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repair needed RG27.... Jack Bot

ballsy

Registered
Hi All,

I am not a Pinball freak but one of things I always promised myself when funds and space allowed was a pinball machine

Some time ago (about the same time as the V8 car arrived) this was achieved n the form of a Jack Bot ...not the Pin Bot I really wanted as that was what I played in University halls for hours (the tilt was somewhat knackered an it wasnt too hard to lift to get your ball back ;))

Anywho to cut a long story short after about 5 or 6 years of good service I have my first unfixable issue... (i.e. more than a bulb replacement) I have a dodgy flipper that sometimes refuses to hold

I have had a Google and it seems the likely issue is a resistor somewhere associated with the flipper coil

Given that there's pretty much no chance of me locating this,or doing anything about it if I could, I have also searched for repair services

Can't find anything remotely local so thought I'd seek some advice before calling someone out from miles away

So basically what I am after is a recommendation for who I would engage to fix the specific issue (dodgy flipper) and give the machine a once over... everything is in basically decent condition and working.... just some advice on what might need some care and attention

If they can adjust the monitor on a fuzzy Jamma machine at the same time that would be a bonus :)

Any help gratefully received

Neil

Hi Neil. If you're in Eversley Hants then you're just up the road from me and a few others local. If you want to pay then Andy http://www.pinballmania.co.uk/ is the man to fix and service machines. You may be a bit out of his area but I know he visits Scotty who is Woodley way.

I'm not familiar with that machine but the guys on here will help you diagnose and it's likely something straightforward like a coil or diode need replacing. Once you have an idea what needs doing I can help if needed.

Last edited:
Go on Aston, get round to Ballsy's house with a multimeter, soldering iron and a few fuses and diodes, and show him the ropes.

Hello, Neil,

Without wishing to denigrate your tech skills, swapping over the optic-coupler circuit boards attached to the flipper buttons would show if the problem is on the switching side of the flipper coil circuits, i.e. if the other flipper then malfunctions while the first one behaves it's a problem with the optic board. If the situation remains the same then the problem is with the 'Fliptronic II' circuit board, or more likely the coil itself.

Its not possible to denigrate my technical skills as I don't have any when it comes to electronics...

Not gonna touch a thing myself as it is guaranteed to make the situation worse... believe me I have much experience in making partially broken things VERY broken lol

Video of symptoms here...

(best illustration is from about 10 to 20 secs with a "double flip" with a loss of hold followed by a simple "double flip" these are the two things it does intermittently)

Extract from this link... Page 71

http://forum.vecchiflipper.it/flipp...26-45837-9154/Williams Bally repair guide.pdf

Non-Fliptronics Games: Any one of the flippers flutters (goes up, comes down, goes up, comes down), when the cabinet flipper button is held in (the flipper flutters slowly). On a non-fliptronics games, this is a problem with the EOS switch. The EOS switch for the offending flipper, which should be closed when the flipper is de-energized, is not making good contact. Either the switch contacts are misadjusted or burned, or an EOS switch wire is broken. Or it could mean the hold winding on the coil itself is broken. The hold winding on the coil is the thin wire. If it is broken, you can usually see the wire has broken away from one of the solder lug. Test the coil (see above) with a DMM. Sometimes the break can provide an intermittent connection too.

Fliptronics and WPC-95 Games: When activated, doesn’t hold up (the flipper “flutters”). This means the hold TIP102 transistor for that flipper is bad, or the hold winding on the coil itself is broken. The hold winding on the coil is the thin wire. If it is broken, usually the wire has broken away from one of the solder lugs (the middle lug should have both the thick and thin wire attached to it). Test the coil first (see above) before replacing the transistor.

I think I am WPC95?????

Anyway thats as far as I have got...

It's a fliptronic WPC-S machine but some were manufactured with the WPC95 board set.

Sounds like you need either the transistor replacing on the fliptronic board, a connector sorting out or a new coil.

But as Jay says it is best to rule out the flipper PCB in the cabinet behined the flipper buttons first. They are normally inter-changeable.

Not sure if a WPC-95 Fliptronics board is the same but I had a fluttering flipper on my STTNG.
Tried all the documented stuff in the repair guides to no avail. Turned out to be an LM339 on the Fliptronics board.

Back
Top Bottom