What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red and Ted Roadshow strange fault

discodave

Registered
Hi everyone,
Although I’m a regular visitor here, I don’t often post so forgive me if this question has come up before.
My Roadshow which I’ve had for a number of years and which has never skipped a beat, has started having a power issue. When you press both flipper buttons at the same time, the machine switches off and reboots. Other than that, it behaves entirely normally. I’m assuming it’s to do with a power draw overloading something but my knowledge is limited.
Anyone heard of this fault? Is there a fairly straightforward fix?
Be interested to hear any thoughts!

Thanks so much for the help. I’ve just cleaned the two connectors on j110 and j214 and it worked! Problem solved. Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. Cheers!

Probably won’t last and you will need to get your power board fixed at some stage.

I have a different view. The most common cause is the plug that takes the 5v from the power board. I have fixed endless resets by just replacing the connector. You can see it with a multimeter. If the machine resets, measure the 5v on the cpu. You’ll likely see 4.8 volts or so. Reseat J110 and the voltage returns to close to 5v and no more resets.

Unless you have the skills, replacing bR2 and c5 often creates more problems than it solves. Of course when you replace these components you end up reseatting all the connectors anyway and are led to believe the new components are the ‘fix’

Useful insight Andy- I’m going on my experience with my ToM - I had the connectors replaced and it helped for a while but it started to reset again after a few months - Martin did the power board fix and touch wood it’s been solid.

Concur, the big capacitors usually are OK. Reseating/repinning connectors is easy and carries no risk of damaging the board, taking the capacitors out without the right equipment has a big chance of pulling the vias and damaging the board.

Back
Top Bottom