What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Names

robotgreg

Site Supporter
Alias
Greg
I'm often looking at posts and wondering who actually posted that. Over the years I've worked out who a lot of people are from their user name but it's often not obvious or clear and certainly not to newer members.

Just wondering if it's worth having a database of all user and their real names as a sticky that can be referred to at any time.

Then you can see who actually posted something, more out of curiosity than anything else plus it could help deter scammers and would help when disputes arise.

I'd suggest any new users would have to log their real name when registering and all current users could be asked to provide their name although I'm sure 90% of this could be completed by the admins as they know most of us.

What do people reckon?

Cheers
Greg

I put my real name in the signature, handy if others did the same.
I used mission65 as in early days everyone had a handle.

It's pretty terrifying how much information people 'leak' when posting online, completely accidentally and innocently, but when strung together in a database it can be quite an amazing collection of personal information. And there are companies that literally scrape the internet to collect this type of marketing data. (eg https://www.troyhunt.com/the-unattributable-db8151dd-data-breach/ )

So long story short - I think it should be opt in rather than opt out.

I opt out for work security reasons. Nothing personal but it’s a little extra layer of security. I’m sure if you scratched the surface you could easily link me all up but it might scupper a muppet

My real name is down in my sig which you may or may not see on mobile ( not in portrait mode on my phone anyway ). ⬇️⬇️⬇️

if it helps by not using your real name you don't give yourself one iota of additional security.

Mine is just my username but that's my choice.

One for Paul for sure but there are lots of things GDPR wise around keeping personal data (which people's 'real names' would fall under) so you'd have to consider this before setting up any sort of database for that here. And as most people say under GDPR rules it would have to be opt in only.

I just couldn't think of an interesting nickname/handle, plus its the same across DIscord/VAC etc.
Compared to the amount of personal info people share on social media, having some pictures of games doesn't seem like an issue.

Might make sense from a security perspective to not advertise who people are, for those who have ££££ collections anyway.

If people want to set up almost like a secondary name, you can already do that.... however I have just noticed that i havent selected it to be displayed on the new Theme!! Doh!

For those that want to be able to set it, go into your profile (by clicking on your profile pic top right and selecting "Account Details")...

Look for the following :

1634110338270.png

This way you can have your real name as your alias... or if you use your real name as your username, a name you may be othewise known as.....

(I'll go and work out how to display this now!)

Sorted.... Thoughts?

It's up to individual users how much or little they display to others :)

I'm often looking at posts and wondering who actually posted that. Over the years I've worked out who a lot of people are from their user name but it's often not obvious or clear and certainly not to newer members.

Just wondering if it's worth having a database of all user and their real names as a sticky that can be referred to at any time.

Then you can see who actually posted something, more out of curiosity than anything else plus it could help deter scammers and would help when disputes arise.

I'd suggest any new users would have to log their real name when registering and all current users could be asked to provide their name although I'm sure 90% of this could be completed by the admins as they know most of us.

What do people reckon?

Cheers
Greg
Would be welcome - anonymity in a members only forum only benefits rascals, bandits and scammers.
In passing, I'd also note that a dictionary of game name abbreviations would be valuable. So frustating for a newbie to read posts that are composed of acronyms like "I swapped my ABC for a DEF, but it was never as good as my old GHI or JKL - but I am saving up for a MNO but might have to eventually settle for a PQR or a STU unless the WXYZ is out by then!" ArghhhhhH!

There’s another thing that bugs me. Someone puts a pin/parts whatever up for sale. You click their profile to see how far away it is and it comes up UK. So anywhere from John o Groats to lands End. Why can’t they put the nearest City?

Sorted.... Thoughts?

It's up to individual users how much or little they display to others :)

Where is this? I only see the alias box... Oh wait it is that I always used it but not for my real name😂

I do find it funny when people assume my name must be Rob...and then continue to call me Rob when I've already told them my real name.

Back
Top Bottom