What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS4 VR advice please

VR rocks, just wish i had more time to play! Highly recommend playing. D start off on non racing games, something gentle and take regular breaks.

If you want to convince someone put them on Beat Saber, I'm totally addicted and it's cut quite a bit into my pinball time the last 2 weeks. I'm playing on quest but I think it's on psvr too as well as everything else.

Gone the PS4 VR route

Need to try a few more of the games we bought, "Wipe out" makes me feel sick!

Dan really enjoying "Firewall"

Decided to sell my HTC Vive if anyone's interested? £300 inc delivery UK mainland. All complete, boxed etc, hardly ever been used as I had it set up down in the basement but only really ever use the Rift up in my office. I've literally only used it a dozen times so it's in great shape. PM me if interested.

Beat Saber is indeed great fun, especially on systems that can be hacked to add extra songs.

I went to Zero Latency in Nottingham earlier this year. That's an awesome 3D experience - your're put in an empty room with VR headsets and backpacks that geo-locate you, so you walk around whilst in the 3D environment. We did the Zombie game (https://www.zlvr.co.uk/games/zombie-survival/) which was good, if a little short, but some of the others look good too. Apparently it's been a huge success in London and Nottingham, and they are opening up other venues, one in the North they said, so I presume Manchester. Defo worth a visit as a group for a birthday party/stag-do or whatever.

Oculus Quest is the way to go for VR gaming for the masses. Game changer

Meant it’s a game changer already- being Cable free and wireless

Its too limited right now in terms of performance and what it can run. I get asked a lot if I'm planning on supporting Quest and it's just impossible. But with the cable you get the best of both worlds. Optimised wire free mobile games plus the option of hooking up to a PC for AAA games.

My friends, family and I have had some the best gaming experiences of recent years on the Quest so would hardly call it limited in the fun factor dept. Which is the most important bit after all. There are loads of developers out there making sick games (and££££) for the Quest so maybe worth a rethink?

My friends, family and I have had some the best gaming experiences of recent years on the Quest so would hardly call it limited in the fun factor dept. Which is the most important bit after all. There are loads of developers out there making sick games (and££££) for the Quest so maybe worth a rethink?

Yeah one day :) I just don't have the resources to support it at the moment. It would basically require a tonne of rendering optimisations. This is the problem with VR at the moment...way too many different headsets, controllers, motion controllers, standing, sitting, room scale etc Impossible to support them all. The Quest Link definitely goes some way to reducing that headache.

Yeah that’s the spirit, get in there before it’s too late 🙌🏼
Hand tracking for the quest is coming soon, as I’m sure you know. My family are not into video games at all, but just love the Quest. It’s a game changer in that respect

I dont know what software you are creating @Rob zombie so just thinking aloud here - but UE4 supports quest now I believe (and several others). Is it worth looking at that ?

I dont know what software you are creating @Rob zombie so just thinking aloud here - but UE4 supports quest now I believe (and several others). Is it worth looking at that ?

The game is UE4 (Beasts Shall Rise). I'm not sure there's anything specific to Quest in there is there? I started developing this over a year ago so I might have missed that. The nodes that pickup the HMD type are just HTC, Rift and Default if I remember correctly. The biggest hurdle for me is controllers. I'm only supporting motion controllers with physical joysticks for movement, which rules out the original Vive. The haptic pads on the Vive were just too sensitive and lacking in tactile feedback for free locomotion which induced nausea. The game will probably be compatible with the Quest in terms of controls but it's the rendering overhead where it's going to fall down currently. It's aiming at AAA quality visually. My plan is really just to get the game finished to the highest standard possible for PC Rift and then think about optimising for Quest and PSVR etc. I'm not that concerned about the $$$ it's more of an artistic endeavour for me.

I don't expect there is anything specific you need to do - but as of 4.22 UE4 supports the Quest - so anything that's supporting VR should "Just work" :)
(But i guess you know this already).

If the controllers can be read via direct input there is a plugin that supports that.(Its probably not been updated for a while - but its there)

Are you using C++ or blueprints - blueprints are useful - but performance isnt great :(

Last edited:
I don't expect there is anything specific you need to do - but as of 4.22 UE4 supports the Quest - so anything that's supporting VR should "Just work" :)
(But i guess you know this already).

If the controllers can be read via direct input there is a plugin that supports that.(Its probably not been updated for a while - but its there)

Are you using C++ or blueprints - blueprints are useful - but performance isnt great :(

I'm using 100% Blueprints. Base spec is GTX980 and that's running really well. I have a higher spec machine sitting next to it but I'm doing all dev work on the 980 to keep everything in check. I've used a bunch of techniques learnt in the last 4yrs developing for PSVR to keep everything optimal in terms of shader complexity, streaming etc. Blueprints have been a godsend, I have no desire to learn C++. My brain just isn't wired that way.

Had a quick look into the Quest stuff. Looks pretty straightforward. Just an sdk and a few checkboxes on Android. I'll get all that setup and have a think about buying a Quest :) I imagine it will require stripping out all the foliage, switching to static baked lighting, dropping texture res to sub 512 and chopping some polys.....which I guess could be possible in theory to do on Levels for concurrent multi-platform development.

Ah - ok fair enough. You might get a bit of a boost enabling Blueprint Nativization when you cook if you haven't already. Not sure how well it works these days. Its just a checkbox so cant hurt to try it. Any "free" perf is helpful :)
There's also a profiler tool - which will show you where where time is spent. Its pretty simply to use and will likely point you and some hotspots. It all helps.

Ill shut up now :)

Ah - ok fair enough. You might get a bit of a boost enabling Blueprint Nativization when you cook if you haven't already. Not sure how well it works these days. Its just a checkbox so cant hurt to try it. Any "free" perf is helpful :)
There's also a profiler tool - which will show you where where time is spent. Its pretty simply to use and will likely point you and some hotspots. It all helps.

Ill shut up now :)

Yeah I had to disable the Blueprint Nativization as it wasn't compatible with a third party motion matching plugin I was using. I ditched that plugin last week so thanks for the reminder, I'll switch that back on :) I haven't really used the inbuilt profiler much yet (we tend to use Razer at work) as I haven't run into any issues yet. Touch wood. The shader visualisation is brilliant though. Always fun to chat UE4, I bloody love it :) I take it you're a fellow plaid shirt wearing dev too?

IIRC the nativizer has 2 modes - exclusive and inclusive so in theory you ue4 nativize only the hotspots (or just disable for whatever its upsetting)

And yeah - lets just say ive done a spot of UE4 ;)

Back
Top Bottom