What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS4 looking for 2ndhand one - what should i look out foi?

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
Hi

Was blown away by some of the VR games at Blackpool at the weekend. So much so may have to look at getting a PS4. I am an Xbox man and the last PS I had was a PS2...

i am about 3.6m away form eth TV, and 4.5m cable run form where PS3 would sit to Camera / TV position. This cable route is in the wall as well! I do have an unused Ethernet Gigabit cable between the two.

Can i use the ethernet cable and (cut and solder) between camera and PS3?
Is the length of cable an issue?
Will the headset work okay when 3.6m away frpm camera?
How long are cables between headset and headset box?
I have a 4k TV, if looking for 2ndhand shoudl i look out for a specific model PS4?
What shoudl i pay for a 2ndahnd PS4?
What should i pay for a headset?

Anything else i should look out for?

Cheers

JB

I don't have a PSVR set up at home personally but here's some info on the PS4 itself...

Are you going to be using it for other gaming alongside the VR games? If so with having a 4K TV, I'd recommend the PS4 Pro as it can do up to 4K, the standard PS4 is 1080p max.

The Pro and the original PS4 have an optical audio output if you need it, the slimmer one doesn't.

Things to watch out for... What 4K TV do you have? We ran our Pro since launch on a Samsung TV with no issues but recently got an LG OLED and the picture drops out a lot. Read a thread on the AV Forums which recommends getting a Premium Certified HDMI 2 4K cable to avoid the picture loss, loads of the reviews when looking at the cables mention how it's fixed it for others too.

Check the retailer if you go second hand for a guarantee. You'll get a full standard year if you go new, plus there might be some decent bundles of the console plus VR together with Christmas coming up?

PS4 is a good choice for a home console setup with some great games. If you want more of the simulation experiences though, PC is where it's at - but the entry cost is a lot higher.

Maybe speak to @Adrian Hufton - he has both PS4 and PC rigs and practically lives in a VR world at the moment.

Dude, I’ll check cable length on mine when I get home tonight but I don’t think the camera one is very long. It assumes the PS4 is sat under the tv with the camera on top.

My wife's sister is selling a PS4 and VR with farpoint and the aim controller and a few other games for £380, she may go a little lower if interested.
It is not a pro though so if you want 4k it wouldn't be the one you want.
The camera can be mounted anywhere as long as you are facing it to play, the distance you mention is fine.
You dont even need your TV on for PSVR.
For the price the PSVR is a super piece of kit if only slightly let down by the move controllers. That is not to say they don't work, they do but they are not as good as the likes of the Vive or Rift.
The headset is a lower resolution than it's PC counterparts but you really won't see it, it's all about the immersion and it has that in spades!
for as little as £380 you can be up and running, a Vive and PC set up, £1500 plus is easily spent.
If you are anywhere near me you are welcome to try both but in my opinion both are great.

I’ve been asking similar questions see,
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/ps4-vr-advice-please.41009/#post-275034
Also an Xbox guy but decided to take the plunge
After nosying around I think the current prices are about as follows
PS4 secondhand up to £150?
PS4 slim secondhand £150-250 (depends on games additional controller etc)
PS4 pro £250 upwards
I now that’s quite a difference but boils down to what your after?
I have managed to get a PS4 slim Fifa19 couple of months old for £190? There on sale for £250 new?
The above is based on the 500gb not the 1tb.
As for VR there are two different ones version 1&2, I unfortunately don’t know if there’s much difference in output? but the version 2 has neater wiring, earbuds and a smooth box (Rather than a box with the square corners and a line down the middle)
These seem to range from (Secondhand) £100-300 all depends if you want the move controllers which you probably do (£40-50 to buy separately) and if they come with games or guns etc etc......
PS4 VR version 2 on Argos for £199.99 (inc 2 games) but no move controller etc.....,
At the end of the day it all boils down to want you want/need? Remember Black Friday is on November 23rd might! Be a few offers?
Hope the above helps?

Last edited:
The version 2 gives 4k hdr output to your tv through the video accelerator box, the version 1 did not and you have to pull your HDMI lead out of that and put it in the ps4, or use a splitter box, other than the other things you mentioned there is no difference in the headset display.

My wife's sister is selling a PS4 and VR with farpoint and the aim controller and a few other games for £380, she may go a little lower if interested.
It is not a pro though so if you want 4k it wouldn't be the one you want.
The camera can be mounted anywhere as long as you are facing it to play, the distance you mention is fine.
You dont even need your TV on for PSVR.
For the price the PSVR is a super piece of kit if only slightly let down by the move controllers. That is not to say they don't work, they do but they are not as good as the likes of the Vive or Rift.
The headset is a lower resolution than it's PC counterparts but you really won't see it, it's all about the immersion and it has that in spades!
for as little as £380 you can be up and running, a Vive and PC set up, £1500 plus is easily spent.
If you are anywhere near me you are welcome to try both but in my opinion both are great.
Cheers mate, would prefer the 4K version. Thanks for the detail, really appreciate the response. ?

I’ve been asking similar questions see,
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/ps4-vr-advice-please.41009/#post-275034
Also an Xbox guy but decided to take the plunge
After nosying around I think the current prices are about as follows
PS4 secondhand up to £150?
PS4 slim secondhand £150-250 (depends on games additional controller etc)
PS4 pro £250 upwards
I now that’s quite a difference but boils down to what your after?
I have managed to get a PS4 slim Fifa19 couple of months old for £190? There on sale for £250 new?
The above is based on the 500gb not the 1tb.
As for VR there are two different ones version 1&2, I unfortunately don’t know if there’s much difference in output? but the version 2 has neater wiring, earbuds and a smooth box (Rather than a box with the square corners and a line down the middle)
These seem to range from (Secondhand) £100-300 all depends if you want the move controllers which you probably do (£40-50 to buy separately) and if they come with games or guns etc etc......
PS4 VR version 2 on Argos for £199.99 (inc 2 games) but no move controller etc.....,
At the end of the day it all boils down to want you want/need? Remember Black Friday is on November 23rd might! Be a few offers?
Hope the above helps?
Cheers for the info, will check out Black Friday deals! ??

Back
Top Bottom