PS4 VR advice please

Tony

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
Sheffield
Hello there unfortunately not pinball! but I think I can remember a few of you know about this stuff?
My lads 9 and thinking about updating the Xbox 360 (yep I know it’s old but it’s done us proud), i’ve Seen that the PS4 can have a VR headset? Anyone know If these are any good? At this stage it’s just for a taster of VR, I have heard that it really needs a “super computer etc” to do the VR thing properly and I don’t have the need for anything like that at the moment just really wanting to play Star Wars battlefront and also have the option of the VR? all i’m Really after is some advice if the PS4 is as good as the next Xbox one? And if the VR thing is worth while and what extra bits do I need?
Or if with the new PS5 coming out, is anyone wanting to move on there old PS4 with the VR bits?
Any advice comments welcome as I haven’t got a clue?
Thanks Tony

Last edited:

Spadge

Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2016
Wakefield
On VR titles, they mostly have brief and very short lived wow factor. None are very deep and engaging experiences and it’s pretty uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.

I come from games as a career and have always been aware that VR was coming as soon as the hardware was ready. In the PS4 it’s mostly there was the headset is very low resolution and this has a negative impact on the effects, so I’d say it isn’t ready yet.

If your son is super keen then I would probably pick one up 2nd hand.

Cons;
- wires and cables everywhere
- quite a bit of set up
- low resolution spoils effect
- experiences are short
- controls are poor moving in 3D
- very insular, can’t be enjoyed socially

Pros;
- fair amount of games and stuff
- some cool stuff out there
- can offer something new

However I would recommend the PS4 as a very good console with a ton of very good software.

Maybe the ps5 will be around in a year bur PS4 pro is good value, especially 2nd hand, it also wiped the floor with miscrosoft in this generation.

I’d also look at switch, very good and something different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony

robertlucas1970

Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
I really would try one before you invest, I could not get used to it and a few others I know had the same problem, after 10 minutes on any game would get motion sickness........

Reactions: insx and Tony
OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
Sheffield
Thanks for your comments I think i’m Going to go the PS4 way and maybe add the VR bit later
Thanks Tony

Reactions: Spadge

Tucks

Sep 21, 2014
SW London
PSVR is £199 now with a game. My daughter has one and it's great. You get loads of free games + one each month (full title) from PS plus.

Poibug

Aug 10, 2011
flintshire
Me n my son have the ps4vr. Some good vr games like res evil , London heist, doom ,farpoint, gt, rush of blood.
Plus of course pinball fx2 in vr😀

insx

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2014
Essex
PSVR makes me want to chuck after 10 minutes. I can play HTC Vive for hours. I think it's the framerate or something.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
Sheffield
Thanks for the comments all appreciated, even the nausea ones!
This is the plan get s PS4 then add to it later with a VR set up.
The new question is what PlayStation system is anyone using? I’ve been told that the original PS4 will do it, and that the slim is really the same as the PS4, but the pro is a lot better “but some say that unless your running it through a 4K tv it isn’t worth it?” Any any advice? PS4 appear like good money but are a few years old? The pro sounds great but is a lot more money i’ve Not got or plan to have a 4K tv, so would it be worth the extra money? Thanks

huggers

Sep 22, 2016
West Dorset
I had a launch PS4, then a PS4 Pro, then a slim and then another standard PS4..... I tend to sell them when they get dusty and then re-buy when something comes out that I want to play. I have a big 4K telly and honestly I found the difference between the Pro and the standard to be kinda small, it is title depending though. I will be buying another just now for Red Dead Redemption 2 and I won't bother with the Pro. All that said I can't comment on PSVR and how it runs on them respectively

insx

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2014
Essex
HDR is supposed to be good on expensive 4K TVs. I have a cheap 4K TV which I consider to have a nice picture but the reviews say that it does HDR in name only.

edward.emms

Feb 12, 2016
Newport wales
Any sufferers of motion sickness will be ill pretty instant .
Hardcore gaming uses a pad and I would personally get an Xbox one s / x
4k blu ray player and carry your game score over / chuck of backwards compatible games too .

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
Sheffield
PS4 or Xbox now there’s a debate! I was going to go the Xbox s / one route, but the PS4 write up does look better? And I do quite like the idea of adding the VR stuff later.
Haven’t they sold something like 70,000 PS4 consoles to xbox’s 30,000? I’m a Xbox 360 fan!