What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem Solved - Sound Leisure Touchscreen Conversion, Sound Input Issues

Andy B

Site Supporter
I have a Sound Leisure touchscreen jukebox that someone has taken the original SL PC out of and has asked me to put another PC in so they can add their own music to it.

It has the MK8 Quad amp in it.

I have done a few of these touchscreen conversions in the past, swapping out the SL PC usually for a Dell Optiplex 160 but these have all been with MK7 amps.

I cannot get the sound to play through the amp on the CD or AUX input only the MIC and of course it sounds c**p going through MIC input because it has loud humming in background and distorts at loud volumes. If I have volume on PC and volume on amp cranked up to highest I can hear the music very, very, faintly through the speakers.

I am suspecting, from the reading I've done on it, that this is because the PC does not output line level output when amp is expecting it at CD or AUX input? But I can't imagine that the soundcard in the original Sound Leisure PC will have been capable of outputting it line level so I'm wondering if it's something else.+

I've tried running it through an external USB soundcard but same thing.

I seem to remember when I did the MK7 conversions I had to jumper a couple of pins on the remote volume control connector but I can't for the life of me remember which ones and in any case that was MK7 amp and this is MK8 quad.

Has anyone ever had any experience of swapping out the original Sound Leisure PCs for a more up to date PC and making them work with the cabinet amps and can give me some advice please?

JukeboxBoxParts.co.uk sell a lead which is meant to be able to connect ipod (who has one of those anymore :), MP3 player etc. to SL amp but surely that will just be the same as the cable that's already in there as the din plugs have the same pin outs for the CD and AUX inputs?

Have PM'd Pickholder already (before anyone suggests that :) but just in case he can't help...

Going by some of his previous posts and his reputation, if he can’t help you, you can’t be helped...

from my limited knowledge of sound stuff I’d guess you need a powered output (like to drive headphones etc) but what do I know, best wait on the gurus.

not much use but at least you have something to laugh at while you wait

Last edited:
The jukebox already has a pre-amp to amplify the signal from the sound source and the USB soundcard is powered but thanks making me smile :)

I take you don’t have an external volume control connected ? The Sound Leisure jukeboxes I remember had a 4 pin connector and I am talking mid 90s so might not be relevant to the machine you have. Fairly sure pin1 was ch1 and pin 3 was common, pin 4 was reject button?!? Put a jumper between pin 1 and pin 3 and see if that works.

Thanks mate.

Yes, no remote volume connected.

Was a MK8 quad amp.

I jumpered pins 2 and 3 and that got sound coming through channel 2 via the CD input.

In my attempts I also jumpered 2, 3 and 4 and that got music coming through channel 2 via the aux input but there was a 20 (or 45 I can’t exactly remember which) second delay before any sound came out doing it that way because as you say pin 4 is eject and manual says AUX will start playing X seconds after last signal to CD input.

When I jumpered 1 and 3 nothing happened.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom