What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Postage Strikes really kicking in now!

We're advising our clients that if using Royal Mail the last post date for pre-Xmas delivery is this Friday the 9th!
Most of the other carriers are swamped too, DPD have at least 1 or more day delays across all regions.

maybe they've eaten my pin2dmd by now which has been sitting at Heathrow customs since the 4th november :(

Looks like my fish tales will have to do without its nice coloured dmd for xmas.

^^^ My brother in law left the Navy Submariner service around 18 months - 2 year ago.
Now a train driver for Scot-rail.
Said great working conditions, loads of flexibility with shifts etc… … 60k per annum basic wage, cracking pension to look forward too.! ‘It’s the gift that keeps on giving’ lol….
Guess what, they’re striking too! 😂

When did ScotRail drivers strike?
I'm pretty sure they haven't been out at all in the last 6 months.

ScotRail got their payrise, because they're nationalised and the Scottish Gov didn't lie and get in the way of the negotiations.
They were run by the same company that runs who I work for, who are essentially the Dutch Government. All profit goes to the nationalised Dutch railways.

yep! i know someone who recently closed his dental lab (my profession) and got a job as a train driver.

Said pretty much the same, in comparison basically does sod all and gets 60k a year + overtime, said its a joke. Guys there apparently pulling in 100k with over time and still working a fraction of the hours he did when he had his own business.

Basically they dont know what side their bread is buttered on. Completely out of touch (or intentionally out of touch)

The technology is already there and the sooner they automate the network with driverless trains the better.

Sounds like a lot of rubbish, If I tried to earn 100k a year I'd be dead.

So you're saying if someone has a decent job that's secure and has good conditions they shouldn't mind losing them?

I do not know what this countries obsession with the race to the bottom is. It's like everyone loves to bring everyone else down.

They can't even automate most of the underground lines so how do you propose they automate the national rail network?
Tell me about this technology that already exists. It'll not happen, it's not possible.

To be fair train drivers is one job where I want them to be well paid they look after your life!

So you're saying if someone has a decent job that's secure and has good conditions they shouldn't mind losing them?

I do not know what this countries obsession with the race to the bottom is. It's like everyone loves to bring everyone else down.

They can't even automate most of the underground lines so how do you propose they automate the national rail network?
Tell me about this technology that already exists. It'll not happen, it's not possible.
Those comments about train drivers on £60k also failed to take into account that the unions in question are negotiating on behalf of all sorts of different roles within the railways, the mean salary of which is around half that, and the mode even less.

Also, not all drivers will have necessarily voted for strike action but, even if they did, I agree with the essence of your post - why on earth would anyone (who doesn't have some vested interest in railway company profits) not support them wanting to be paid a decent salary. It just doesn't seem like a well thought through opinion to hold to me.

Nearly all of the disruption on the railways due o industrial action is nothing to do with drivers.
We still go to work, we just can't drive trains when there's no signallers, dispatch, cleaners, guards, station staff etc.

There is a separate driver dispute on some operating companies but since summer there's only been a handful of strike days. We did one in November and had to be balloted again due to the Tory anti union laws.
RMT however is doing 8 (or 10 depending on your grade) in one pay period this December. That's a huge amount of money lost even for the better paid guards and considering it also includes the min wage cleaners.
I don't think they take it lightly, noone wants to strike.

Everyone should at least have a payrise inline with inflation. Of course after years of people getting pay cuts they are going to start to question it and realise maybe they can do something about it.

When did ScotRail drivers strike?
I'm pretty sure they haven't been out at all in the last 6 months.

ScotRail got their payrise, because they're nationalised and the Scottish Gov didn't lie and get in the way of the negotiations.
They were run by the same company that runs who I work for, who are essentially the Dutch Government. All profit goes to the nationalised Dutch railways.

Disruption again

Disruption again
That pretty much backs up what David was posting doesn't it? That their services are affected because other parts of the network are taking strike action.

Railway staff and postal workers are absolutely right to ask for more money. But a lot of people who can't get to work don't get paid so the strikes end up costing people money.

If you're someone who's lost two days wages in the build up to Christmas you're going to be unhappy that someone else's demand for more is meaning you get less.

I'm just surprised at how shocked the unions and members seem to be that 'maximum disruption and inconvenience' has p!$$Ed the public off.

Stopping people getting their Christmas presents and getting to work was never was going to win the pay rise AND the popularity contest.

To be fair train drivers is one job where I want them to be well paid they look after your life!

The military get paid total sh^t, they are integral to the security of the nation.
No complaints or strike action, just get on with the job.
It’s tough for everyone right now.
Massive sh^t sandwich … some people should be thankful they have a job.

To be fair, general public aren’t really interested in the technical elements of the strike action.
Just whether services will be affected

Well you mentioned a train driver you know and then said they're striking which was incorrect. Hardly a technical element with it being a different job.

I've found a lot of general public are interested and once they understand they're quite sympathetic and supportive. It's just the media spinning it a certain way and with social media a lot of people are able to find out the facts.

The military get paid total sh^t, they are integral to the security of the nation.
No complaints or strike action, just get on with the job.
It’s tough for everyone right now.
Massive sh^t sandwich … some people should be thankful they have a job.

That's because they're not allowed to strike. Same with the police force.
We have a lot of ex army and ex police on the railway. Most left because the conditions and pay aren't good and nothing can be done about it.

People are thankful but it doesn't mean you should just accept your conditions and pay being cut. Once you let that happen where does it end?
People are paid well because they fought for it so why give it up?

Well you mentioned a train driver you know and then said they're striking which was incorrect. Hardly a technical element with it being a different job.

I've found a lot of general public are interested and once they understand they're quite sympathetic and supportive. It's just the media spinning it a certain way and with social media a lot of people are able to find out the facts.
Ok he may have been off as a result of strike action.. I just know he was off 🤷‍♂️
As a member of the general public, I can tell you I have the worlds smallest violin playing.

Ok he may have been off as a result of strike action.. I just know he was off 🤷‍♂️
As a member of the general public, I can tell you I have the worlds smallest violin playing.

The media influence is strong here. Once upon a time you were told to bash your pans for the NHS, now the media are bashing the NHS.

Look closer you will see the agenda. Division of people.

Surely if you loved the employees of the military you'd want them to be paid fairly, and insist they are paid fairly by being able to strike. Rather than constantly being treated like **** by successive governments.

"No complaints or strike action, just get on with the job." just means people end up being miserable (see nurses at 23% higher risk of suicide*) or never take the job/leave the job. (see UK military recruitment down 48% 2000-2022 §)

*link
§link

If you're someone who's lost two days wages in the build up to Christmas you're going to be unhappy that someone else's demand for more is meaning you get less.
This framing is part of the issue.

It makes little sense to blame people trying to ensure that they get a pay rise that's sufficient to offset inflation. It makes total sense to aim that ire at a profit making company which is protecting profit (in many recent cases using the current climate to actually stealthily increase profits) whilst putting their employees in the position where they have no option but to strike. Or at a government, which in some cases has no skin in the game, but which is interjecting in negotiations to prevent deals being reached, because this kind of disruption is politically beneficial to them as a party (i.e. they want to be seen as resolving problems, so are creating problems to go and 'fix').

I agree UK military should be paid more, however most who sign on the dotted line don’t do it for the cash.
You sign up for the job.
UK Military has always struggled with recruitment, especially infantry.

If the service provided by the rail industry or Royal Mail was of a better standard more people would use it, which would bring in more revenue and allow the potential of more to be paid out in wages.
The fact that the services are so poor means that people don't use them because they're not fit for purpose and find an alternative.
Why the hell should tax payers have to prop up failing organisations that can't withstand competition?

This framing is part of the issue.

It makes little sense to blame people trying to ensure that they get a pay rise that's sufficient to offset inflation. It makes total sense to aim that ire at a profit making company which is protecting profit (in many recent cases using the current climate to actually stealthily increase profits) whilst putting their employees in the position where they have no option but to strike. Or at a government, which in some cases has no skin in the game, but which is interjecting in negotiations to prevent deals being reached, because this kind of disruption is politically beneficial to them as a party (i.e. they want to be seen as resolving problems, so are creating problems to go and 'fix').

I think you're confusing blame with resentment.

Also there's an assumption that everyone is massively interested in the political nuances you've just described.

I don't overly care about the train strikes because I don't use the trains. However I certainly understand why someone who can't get to work is ****ed off with the inconvenience and missed wages.

My gripe is the post. Why? Because yesterday I've just had to refund £330 of money on Christmas jumpers that haven't arrived. It will get worse too as we tick down towards the 25th. I'd imagine I'll lose 1k on the jumpers venture but my story is not unique but I'm already 12k down this year and the postal strikes may well be the final nail in the coffin.

I don't watch the news and don't vote so I'm hardly being influenced by the media on this. I guess it's just easier to believe that public disgruntlement is because of propaganda rather than because the strikes are costing Joe public money.

So do I blame them for striking? No. But I massively resent that it's impacting me at a time when I'm struggling financially anyway.

Also I'd like to completely separate nurse's struggle from this. I can't believe that they're getting lumped in with everyone else. Saving lives & working 14 hour shifts for unreasonable money should not be compared imo.

Screenshot_20221219-114628_Chrome.jpg

postal strikes may well be the final nail in the coffin.
Use a different carrier, PO isn't the only game in town. I used UK Mail for all my shaker motors. Fexex, UPS etc are still working.
Also I'd like to completely separate nurse's struggle from this. I can't believe that they're getting lumped in with everyone else. Saving lives & working 14 hour shifts for unreasonable money should not be compared imo.
This. The only ones that deserve a payrise (not 19%, that's unreasonable). Sorry Train drivers are overpaid in comparison. I got a 6% rise on an already poxy wage but no one values engineers.

Why the hell should tax payers have to prop up failing organisations that can't withstand competition?

Your taxes go into the rail system now, well they go to Europes rail systems. I'm sure most people would rather taxes be used to improve on our shoddy rail network rather than to the nationalised European rail systems and the overpaid directors who are on close to 1mil without bonuses.
All propped up by our gov using our taxes.

Use a different carrier, PO isn't the only game in town. I used UK Mail for all my shaker motors. Fexex, UPS etc are still working.

This. The only ones that deserve a payrise (not 19%, that's unreasonable). Sorry Train drivers are overpaid in comparison. I got a 6% rise on an already poxy wage but no one values engineers.

Why can only one deserve a pay rise? So everyone else deserves a pay cut?
I don't understand the race to the bottom mentality.

6% is more than most. Most people have had pay cuts the last decade.

What I don't understand is the working class gets pay cuts year after year. Yet the high level staff, directors, MPs, ceos etc, get payrises yearly, and payrises that exceed inflation.
Then they try to tell you the working class is greedy and selfish?🤔
UK rail network, royal mail (and I assume others) made huge profits... But where does it go?

Why?

Yeah, we will in September 2023 mate but we're on a 12 month business contract and there is no getting out.

They're paying us £6 compensation on a £30 item after much back and forth.

They still invoiced yesterday though 🤣

I shudder to think how many customers they'll lose as a result of this.

Screenshot_20221219_140131.jpg

Back
Top Bottom