What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly my first Stern Keeper?

Judge Dreads

Site Supporter
Well as most of you already know from the TOTAN saga, I ended up purchasing Tykes brand new 50 plays only The Walking Dead premium, so what's the verdict?

This machine has the latest code, shaker motor and character callouts conversion (way better than stock), gameplay is very engaging, some nice shots, awesome lighting (best I have seen on any pin I've owned), theme just rocks, the negs...... well it's a Stern so feels flimsy compared to a Bally Wms with streamlined metal parts etc, my biggest gripe is the pops, same as AC/DC and most other Sterns I have played, there is way too much pop bumper action which is difficult to avoid and is just a timewasting noisy nuisance, the crossbow motor is failing after 50 plays (not great considering the 6.4k price tag) replacement have to come from the US and I'm getting one free from Phil but not sure if these are covered under warranty (think Tyke had issues initially getting this resolved) so this may well be my first Stern Keeper, AC/DC, SM, BDK, etc never made the grade ;)

The Walking Dead is a pleasant surprise considering the poor rating it received after release, only played a couple of games with the old code on a LE but this new machine kicks butt ;)

TWD seems to be getting some pretty good feedback from owners since the latest code update. Will have to seriously consider getting a premium.

Must admit I was Stern sceptic not so long ago, mainly due to the photoshop artwork and inferior build quality, but they do make great players, the majority of my collection is now Stern.

It's a great game. Sadly mine now pretty unplayable with the disco strobe ******** that's going on. Phil's meant to be sourcing a new loom to address the issue but I gather quite a few machines have had this as a problem.

I've not heard of others with a crossbow motor issue, so hopefully this is a one off thing.

I've not played one with the show call outs but I've never really minded the custom call outs

Considering the initial moaning about the game I think it's turned out really well:)

RE: Crossbow fault, unfortunately not, Replicas had a duff (slipping clutch?) and Pinside has many accounts of malfunctioning crossbows for various reasons, I assume it's the motor, all switches register correctly, on the plus side the crossbow is used sparingly within the game unlike AC/DC.

See vid, what a PINA, machine gave up after ball search failed to find the ball and just loaded another ball in the shooter lane so the game could continue.

Last edited:
Was gonna ask the same thing, is it some built in karaoke feature that Stern incorporated to make some coin if the game sucked? :D, how long has your machine been down?

Not seen the crossbow thing shown. I've had a couple of times when the ball dribbles out rather than being fired, not sure if that is due to the ball not sitting properly or the coil not getting enough power

The disco strobe basically started with the tunnel loop then spread. All lights flashing on and off at all times. It's been flagged up on pinside and allegedly then wrecks one of the boards (don't know if that's true). Apparently it's linked to one of the wiring looms near the left hand slighshot getting damaged over time.

You can still play the game but have no idea what to shoot for. In Sept in happened for the 1st time now it's every game - grr:mad:. I think that it's meant to be a matter of time before all the games have the same issue so a new loom has been created

When the crossbow returns to its rest position does the motor spin in reverse or is it a cam system ?

Not seen the crossbow thing shown. I've had a couple of times when the ball dribbles out rather than being fired, not sure if that is due to the ball not sitting properly or the coil not getting enough power

The disco strobe basically started with the tunnel loop then spread. All lights flashing on and off at all times. It's been flagged up on pinside and allegedly then wrecks one of the boards (don't know if that's true). Apparently it's linked to one of the wiring looms near the left hand slighshot getting damaged over time.

You can still play the game but have no idea what to shoot for. In Sept in happened for the 1st time now it's every game - grr:mad:. I think that it's meant to be a matter of time before all the games have the same issue so a new loom has been created
Wow. Seriously!?! What a royal f#ck up that is.

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk

Only had my LE a week but love it. I too have the Crossbow issue and more often than not it will not work. When testing initially got "return to switch 50 failed". Testing now works fine but when a ball is loaded it either won't deploy or fires and won't return. Phil says he is ordering motors from Stern this week. I amended the settings to take off the initial light thus minimising its use. Thought I'd seen you could disable each Pop but can't find it in the menu's. May be another game I am thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom