What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired Portable Pinstadium alternative

Expired Due to no activity
Are they somehow connected and controlled by the playfield actions?

They're not Chris but the simplicity is the reason to get them. It's the function of being able to use them on any machine within seconds that's particularly convenient primarily because they live outside of the playfield.

These are undoubtedly my most frequently used mod.

Hmmm much cheaper than pin stadium option, do you still sell them please?

Hmmm much cheaper than pin stadium option, do you still sell them please?
I've literally got a single set left available for sale.

If there was enough interest I could make another, but would need orders totalling 10 to make it anywhere near cost effective to make them.

I've literally got a single set left available for sale.

If there was enough interest I could make another, but would need orders totalling 10 to make it anywhere near cost effective to make them.

Wayne, unless Chris, @cmrl9 or Dan want them I'll take them mate but don't want to deny anyone their first set when I already have some.

With the AC adapter again please mate.

Wayne, unless Chris, @cmrl9 or Dan want them I'll take them mate but don't want to deny anyone their first set when I already have some.

With the AC adapter again please mate.
competition.... "fight"

Shoryuken ----- :)

I would love a set but cant pay for it until Thursday, wife just informed me I have other monetry commitments and I've spent enough on shiny balls and the machine I own doesn't actually work at the moment :(

I will step aside having just been "Shakunetsu Hadoken" by the wife :)

If you ever have some more please let me know, look like you have 3 customers, only 7 to go....

Mate, I'm not desperate. If Wayne is happy to wait until Thursday you should take them.

Mate, I'm not desperate. If Wayne is happy to wait until Thursday you should take them.
Thanks Gonzo, they would be great, lets see if there avaiable on Thrusday, happy for others to take in the mean time, saves me the dilemma. WIfe says no, other comitments say no, pinball bug says yes, machine being broken for god knows how long says no.... :( post office has lost the power driver board, or they might not have, 30 days at least to find out

If there's enough demand for another run I'd definitely be in, having Gozzy eyes they could only assist ! :thumbs:

They're not as simple as that Chris. Those 4 pin connectors on that ebay link are a pain in the @rse mate and very flimsy. Wayne has installed proper wires and quick release reversible connectors which allow you to swap configuration depending on where your power source is.

They're not as simple as that Chris. Those 4 pin connectors on that ebay link are a pain in the @rse mate and very flimsy. Wayne has installed proper wires and quick release reversible connectors which allow you to swap configuration depending on where your power source is.
Well... nothing complex in a single color LED tape. I just posted first RGB stip that I've found (with PSU). which in my opinion is even better option. I build custom PCs on a daily basis so RGB, aRGB etc. are nothing new to me. Plain white and connectors can be found for £6 and £10 for profiles with the diffuser. Last thing is a magnetic tape which also cost pennies.

Sorry but calling it Pinstadium alternative is a massive overstatement.

Anyway... just my 5p. Good luck with sale.

Last edited:
Well... nothing complex in a single color LED tape. I just posted first RGB stip that I've found (with PSU). which in my opinion is even better option. I built custom PCs on a daily basis so RGB, aRGB etc. are nothing new to me. Plain white and connectors can be found for £6 and £10 for profiles with the diffuser. Last thing is a magnetic tape which also cost pennies.

Sorry but calling it Pinstadium alternative is a massive overstatement.

Anyway... just my 5p. Good luck with sale.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful insight @ChrisFormela 😊 I'll have to keep an eye out for the next thing you sell to leave my input.

The 3 different sized plastic trim which make up each housing of the LED strips, the 5 connectors, 2 battery holders, 16 batteries, vinyl wrap to produce a decent finish, additional wiring, inline switch, plug, 12 different solder points, packed in 2 different size storage/postal tubes all take over 2hrs to assemble. Then factor in the numerous failed prototypes, which all cost money to produce, and the wastage from each set made means that I only just broke even after the first 2 dozen I sold.

Only 1 person has ever had any complaint having bought a set (and they were refunded immediately).

I have learnt my lesson following my solder station which sits level on a pin I designed and started selling, but ended up with that many orders that it took me over 3 weeks of non stop building them without making a single penny (and actually cost me money with postage for a number of orders, including to Europe).

Maybe you complain about the cost of a new machine as it costs more than the BOM?

Last edited:
LOL. I'm happy that you didn't mention cost of the solder and the flux that you have used on top of that 6" wiring and the £2 per sq meter wrap :)

As mentioned before. Calling this alternative to pinstadium is a MASSIVE overstatement. GLWS.

EOT.

LOL. I'm happy that you didn't mention cost of the solder and the flux that you have used on top of that 6" wiring and the £2 per sq meter wrap :)

As mentioned before. Calling this alternative to pinstadium is a MASSIVE overstatement. GLWS.

EOT.
You stated, "I must be missing something " a screw? or it may just be loose? so I was simply explaining for the hatf of understanding.

You stated, "I must be missing something " a screw? or it may just be loose? so I was simply explaining for the hatf of understanding.
Yes. I was quite disappointed that you call it pinstadium alternative and charge £75 for it when it's really simple, battery operated LED strip with static light and plastic profile, which I could easily assemble myself for less than £15 + plastic profile + batteries (all done with 4 solder points).

If you really want to see something that deserves this sort of title then check Stumblor's project or at least add Teensy or arduino with few input channels.

And again - That's just my opinion and good luck with sale.

Last edited:
Yes. I was quite disappointed that you call it pinstadium alternative and charge £75 for it when it's really simple, battery operated LED strip with static light and plastic profile, which I could easily assemble myself for less than £15 + plastic profile + batteries (all done with 4 solder points).

If you really want to see something that deserves this sort of title then check Stumblor's project or at least add Teensy or arduino with few input channels.

And again - That's just my opinion and good luck with sale.
This is great news Chris, in the spirit of the community could you make some for £15 and sell a set please 👍👍

This is great news Chris, in the spirit of the community could you make some for £15 and sell a set please 👍👍
Really missed the point, didn't you? I don't really care about the profit that Wayne makes (good for him) but don't try to convince me that it is something super special and complex when it's not. If someone is willing to pay for it - great!.
BTW. I can send you the links and assure you that it wont take you more than 15min to make one yourself. Not 2 hours and 16 solder points etc.

Really missed the point, didn't you? I don't really care about the profit that Wayne makes (good for him) but don't try to convince me that it is something super special and complex when it's not. If someone is willing to pay for it - great!.
BTW. I can send you the links and assure you that it wont take you more than 15min to make one yourself. Not 2 hours and 16 solder points etc.
That's a pretty magic 15 minutes. It'll take 3-4 minutes to just get the soldering done, the iron's got to warm up. Let alone fit and finish. If you're going to split hairs, don't be a typical engineer and value your time at 0, and expect others to go the same way.

As it stands you're just slopping in the other direction and look a bit hypocritical.

That's a pretty magic 15 minutes. It'll take 3-4 minutes to just get the soldering done, the iron's got to warm up. Let alone fit and finish. If you're going to split hairs, don't be a typical engineer and value your time at 0, and expect others to go the same way.

As it stands you're just slopping in the other direction and look a bit hypocritical.
You are absolutely right and I wouldn't mention any of above if I wasn't challenged by Wayne and his silly justification.

Thanks Phil.
I thought of pretty much all of these, and even tried some.
I used greaseproof paper as a diffuser, it reduced the dots somewhat, but was almost impossible to stick to anything - I suppose the clue is in the name. 😁
I also tried roughing up the plastic over the LEDs themselves, but that had a limited effect.
I looked at adding a splitter cable and power supply as well, also connectors for fitting to the machine power supply, all of which added not insignificant costs - and also took away from the portable nature I was aiming for.
Nice one Wayne. Take a look at some of the under counter LED lighting stuff. ROBUS Diffusers - there work very well with the commercial 24V strips, that are very bright indeed. I guess it comes form China so find the right supplier should be pretty cheep.

Well done Buddy!

JB

I think you’re missing the point. This is a community, we share ideas and help each other out. Not go on an unnecessary rant attacking someone else’s product that many forum members are more than happy with.
Put your money where your mouth is and make some for £15 if it’s that easy, otherwise just leave it alone.
As for calling it a ‘pinstadium alternative’ - that’s EXCACTLY what it is! My alternative to pinstadium is I turn the light on in my pin room, Wayne’s alternative is much much better.
Keep it up Wayne, let’s keep this forum positive and ignore the trolls, there’s plenty of them about 🤦🏼‍♂️

Someone else that just doesn't get manufacturing. Yes you ASSEMBLE computers. Whole different kettle of fish. I made shaker motors, lots of them. From research and development to sourcing rare motors from all over the world. It just isn't so easy and no one is going to do it for free. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy. Go buy pinstadiums if thats what you want.

Wayne. Oh i also see this was from 2019 - not very well read am i... :). Good luck with the sales, don't be put off - keep making, improving and selling. I see a good product, with a market and scope for a few enhancements in return for more dosh.

If you have any, bring one along for the League meet round mine and a FS sign etc - nothing like a bit of Sales Generation.

Nice one Wayne. Take a look at some of the under counter LED lighting stuff. ROBUS Diffusers - there work very well with the commercial 24V strips, that are very bright indeed. I guess it comes form China so find the right supplier should be pretty cheep.

Well done Buddy!

JB
Thanks John, the 2 sets I've made for myself actually have diffusers fitted, from some donated photographic filter paper, but they are far too fiddly to try and make in any number, look a little scruffy and purchasing the additional photographic filter paper is cost prohibitive.

As for being an alternative to Pinstadiums.
Their X-Stream aren't integrated into the machine and cost as good as $380, with colour choice and carry case - then factor in VAT, Duty and Carriage and you're looking at the best part of £500 (I'd guestimate)
pinstadium.png

PInstadium developed these AFTER I started selling mine - maybe THEY should be calling them Wayne blade alternatives :rofl::rofl:

If you have any, bring one along for the League meet round mine and a FS sign etc - nothing like a bit of Sales Generation.
There'll be at least 1 set at the League meet at Fife Street this weekend, as I've been asked to put a set on CSI - which in a dark arcade is pretty much unplayable without them.

Back
Top Bottom