What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll - Should we keep the RGP archive

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Ok, so i personally like the RGP archive and the ability to search it from within the forum environment. IMO it's a valuable archive to have, especially once everything is together and working. However it does use a lot of resources, and we will need to upgrade as a result.

Should we keep it, especially in the light of recent disappearances of RGP via google (our feed is taken direct from the source, and bypasses Google entirely).

I never use it personally. I think we need to focus on keeping this forum online for now as its been down about 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Never going to get everyone to agree to move over here until its stable

Have to agree with Jonathan on this one. It's more important to keep the forum alive to encourage more folks to use it. You could always put it back later on.

Nice work on getting things going again though Paul.
smile-1.png

It's not something I use but I'm sure I'll look in there in the future when I find a problem I don't know how to deal with. I agree that the immediate priority should be on the stability of the forum though; once running smoothly, it would be great if this becomes the first port of call for the UK Pinball community. Perhaps remove the archive for the moment and then reinstate once you are happy that the servers can take it?

Can always link to RGP its not really needed as the space it takes up could be used for other things.
wink-1.png

I'm another who doesn't use the RGP archive but can understand we might want it in the future as others have said. Ditch it for now and we can have another vote at a later date to see if it's worth getting back.

Well hopefully we can have the best of both worlds. The new server SHOULD be able to cope with the load now, so fingers crossed this sholdnt be an issue any more
smile-1.png

replicas' date=' post: 1663827 said:
Can always link to RGP its not really needed as the space it takes up could be used for other things.
wink-1.png

ahh... and there lies a tale. Google Groups seems to be up and down at the moment, and the feed doesnt actually come from there - it's a standard usenet group - the Google interface is just that - an interface to the recreation.games.pinball usenet thread.

I get the feed here from source - allows it to work without having to worry about the google side - so when google is down, here will still work
smile-1.png

Back
Top Bottom