What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help post removal ?Tnut

cooldan

i like pizza
This is Stern LOTR and that is a long thin post screw that holds up the plastic over the slingshots. I thought it was called a Tnut but could be wrong.

I saw a video on YouTube while searching remove Tnut but that was just a blind-ended thing, removed from above by screwing a post into it from above then gently rotating against the torque. Nifty but mine isn't accessible as the screw starts under the playfield and it self-tightens with the teeth into the wood.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_2beb828c4ea931603c633be822eaba47.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_49854c87ac1749947f46b91a4dfde050.jpg

I want to remove a few of these, what's the trick please?

I'd use the long screw you have there with an extra nut wound on it. Screw it in a little way from the top of the playfield instead of the bottom, then lock the extra nut against against the t-nut. Wind the screw backwards and it should take the t-nut with it. You should be able to use a pair of pliers to grip the t-nut and loosen the lock nut so you can remove the screw.

Hope that makes sense, I'm typing on a phone at work!

Difficult without seeing it Dan but if that screw goes through the playfield and into the post I suspect the original T-nut has been stripped so this has been done to get round it. If that's what has happened I'm assuming you can just hold the post with some grips and unscrew the screw.

there's loads of these bastards all over the playfield but the only ones i'm gonna bother with are the 2 in each slingshot triangle so i can try to get that area clean.

yes i can grip the top bit and get some movement, but it's not exactly very good. so these are supposed to have the usual blind end on them, you reckon someone just used a long screw with the sharp end snipped off?

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_1cf8dd2e7ae491928824606f672e0c35.jpg. uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_f68f13fa951378a67683b3c136a8f809.jpg

You can see I managed to get the collar bit half off but it's sticking as if stripped as you said. Every post in the picture is like this, it ends in a Phillips screw head on a washer underneath

Ahh, sorry its threaded I couldn't see this in the 1st picture and it just looked like a post. try putting a tiny bit of (you will like this Dan) penetrating oil on the thread just above the T nut before trying to move it to lube it up a bit.

i don't understand sorry.
i'm still sniggering from Matt mentioning lube

every one of these things is three pieces - a long screw with phillips head, a washer, and the collar bit on top. that's it, no other parts. i can't screw anything else in or out, am seriously considering just cleaning around them which is what i was doing anyway until i kept snagging bits of skin on these ****ers

What happens when you try to unscrew the bolt from the bottom of the pf is the Tnut turning with it?

yes. hence me gripping the collar thing (is that a T-nut?) with some forceps.
it came off part way but now it's sticking so the thread must be knackered.

it took me ages to get the thing clear of the playfield where the teeth were biting the wood (stop that) - i assumed that once i was clear of those teeth then it would just unscrew, but it's never that simple.

This is a Tnut
www.castors_online.co.uk_acatalog_TEE_NUT.jpg

If the tnut is spinning I usually try sticking a watchmakers screwdriver into one of the gaps to brace it while turning the screw.
Is there a head on the threaded bar bit under the playfield ?

uk.rs_online.com_largeimages_F6658374_01.jpg

it's not very clear, but in my top post up there that's two photos side by side. the right hand side is what i see underneath, and that Phillips head is on the end of the long thin post.

what's a bar bit?

Anyway **** this ****, life's too short to care about this, it's not coming out so I left them all there and cleaned around them

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_adf5e9ea04fd19eac4a9d44bffad95ea.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_21c67f7b0ed31d100ea3c0ea81550a0f.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_7e225ba2bf44f2b6ae4edfae7a1ba5cf.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_4be405648457714479a10681ea6856d3.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_9c7c0694b3522cc71d8d88769f4cc993.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_4590853e511f056deefa104d9189e4d3.jpg uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160302_6949aad75c8ac9bf9cf78e769bca5632.jpg

It's not going in a museum and it doesn't have to be spotless. This is plenty nice I reckon. Time to start putting it back together now

T nut hell. Like banzai, funhouse, bk2k. You need horsepower to remove them. If you can get your game back together properly without surgery, just leave the fookers. Chill Winston.

If not, I think you have three choices. 1 is better than 2. 3 is a wild card

1 lift up an edge of the t nut on the topside with a flat head screwdriver. Bend it towards the vertical. Put good quality pliers on it to stop the t nut spinning and unscrew.

2. Use a dremel topside to chop the bolt down close to the t nut. drill it out. I know you are a dr not a dentist. But I am not remotely medically trained and my idiotic skills could manage this.

3 drill out/ dremel out/ grind out the bolt head on the underside. Will create a right pile of iron filings. Would not be my way

So in perfect Nottinghamshire meets South yorkshire drawl, "you'll be reet"

Screw grip comes in handy,tho if into cars just use valve grinding paste in screw head,then vise grips on t nut.Have a mate holding t nut and other person turning screw.As Dan is done now,just a heads up fot others.

Btw proper post screw hell is on zaccarias,had about 10 of the buggerz snap on my old soccer kings

Back
Top Bottom