What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield repair/refurb in the UK

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Anyone know if Playfield clear experts in the UK?

gof a mirco QS playfield but want it recleared before I build my QS.

Neil.

Thanks I’ve PM’ed him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yeah but nobody else is going to make QS playfields so I bought it knowing I had to get it cleared. Same with Nineball.

If I can’t get it done here I’ll send it to Kruzman

So far only a couple missing on QS according to some guys on Pinside.

Just clearcoat Neil? I got mine done by calling a local car body-shop - think they charged me £30, might have been £50, it was a few years ago

Just clearcoat Neil? I got mine done by calling a local car body-shop - think they charged me £30, might have been £50, it was a few years ago

Need some one to prep also etc.

The clear on the Mirco playfields is fine if you give them time to properly cure before installing them. I normally let them air for a good few months before installing them and they have been fine. I think the problem is that machines are being put together with playfields that have only been clear coated weeks before. A good car spray shop will be able to do a top clear coat if you want to make sure, but let them sit for a few months before doing that.

I thought the issue was the ink is not sticking to the wood, so not really an issue with the clear coat but the ink lifting.

The clear on the Mirco playfields is fine if you give them time to properly cure before installing them. I normally let them air for a good few months before installing them and they have been fine. I think the problem is that machines are being put together with playfields that have only been clear coated weeks before. A good car spray shop will be able to do a top clear coat if you want to make sure, but let them sit for a few months before doing that.

I left one for 2 years and the clear still came off in shards. I know other people who've had similar issues and all of us have done multiple PF swaps so should have a fair idea what we're doing. I wouldn't want to touch a Mirco PF again

If the clear hasn’t cured in 30 mins it never will.

Neil.

My pal who does a lot of guitar and jukebox spray work has done a couple for me.

But he has not done anything for me newer than 1999, so I wouldn't want to recommend him - just in case something was to happen with reaction to the paint.

Why would a new playfield need extra clear coat - I thought they came 'ready' to use?

Micro playfield are hit and miss some are perfect others not
Sttng perfect
Fh perfect
Wh20 perfect
Indy jones 2 holes not dimpled
Mm good but screen printing slightly off
Ww not great holes missing and one inserts print missing
Cc utter pile of **** holes missing and the place where the scoop goes too small so had to rout it out shocking
Mb ok but have to be super careful when fitting the fasteners for the drac motor
You still have to drill out all the metal post holes in the playfield though

If the clear hasn’t cured in 30 mins it never will.

Neil.
I'm not sure that is true with modern clear coats. My Whitewater playfield had been stored for a couple of months before I put in the car to transport it. It was a warm day and the smell coming off the clear was overwhelming. When the playfield was being installed I tried a playfield protector on it and within a day you could see moisture from the clear forming under the protector, so it was taken straight off. Left the playfield another couple of months before completing the swap. By then all the smell had cleared and the clear was rock hard. Had the table complete a couple of years now with plenty of plays and no issues.

This is just my experience, but have read lots of threads about giving playfields plenty of time to cure properly before installing.

The WCS 94 that used to be at Flipout will be treated to this and a new set of Starship Fantasy Ramps in a few months time 😁 It's a CPR playfield, but I am still giving it a good few months to air before the swap.20210521_135834.jpg

CPR install guide says on receipt leave playfield in open air for 45 days before it's past the cure date. Don't play on it before that date you can begin doing the swap if u want before that date.

Back
Top Bottom