What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield Protectors - Thoughts

JAG555

Site Supporter
Hello,

I received my GOT LE yesterday and really happy with it!

One thing I am unsure about though is that it has a Playfield Protector placed on top of the Playfield (just placed there, not stuck down).

My intial thoughts are is that I don’t like them, they seem to dull the Playfield and I am thinking of removing it.

It reminds of my Mum placing a permanent cover on her dining room table to protect the wood, but it was never off to show the nice surface and then we sold it after 20 years for someone else to enjoy the pristine surface! :)

Anyway, just after thoughts on them and whether anyone uses them or not.

Last edited:
Ive placed one on my TAF.
I took the mylar off and decided that rather than replacing the mylar or going as far as changing the playfield a protector was a good direction to go.
I probably would not put it on a newer pin .

I think that’s it for me, this is a HUO pin, with low plays. Not sure why you would fit one, unless it was going on location or it was an older pin to protect a worn Playfield.

Take it off if it bothers you ( I don't like them either ) and wax it semi regularly. You shouldn't need one in a home environment unless you plan on absolutely hammering it.

Just removed a play field protector from my Judge Dredd (hated the look of it, ball would occasionally hang up on the lip of the protector in a couple of places). The difference is night and day, plays so much faster now, more natural spin to the ball too. No way I’d go back. Personal preference but in this case it’s a massive improvement without the protector. The play field is in great condition that probably helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why you'd want to put a protector on a diamond plate?

It has solved the dished inserts problem on my Alien Poker. I don't think I'd even consider fitting a protector in any game if inserts weren't dished - but in this case they are and it has solved the issue!

There is one fitted to my BSD and FT and they play very fast, faster with the protector on than not.
I would not put one on playfield that is perfect.
I have found the ball can bounce a bit on them though and spin quite a bit until it’s bedded in.

I was going to remove it from my GOT, but then I sold it and left it on.

I didn’t like the way it played with it on, it did change things.

Unless they are on location, I cannot see any advantage fitting one on new machines.

Playfield protectors have been around for a long time , its called Mylar.
A lot of 90's pins had larger areas covered and thats whats protected them all these years.
I think for speed and ball spin differences its marginal and placebo with regards to gameplay change.
Yep balls hang in certain areas on various pins and they do without protectors.
I think for the new Sterns its probably a good idea to have them on for now just to prevent dimples in a hope the clear hardens over time.
Thats what I'm doing with mine.
So in ten years time when everyones cratered playfield needs a new clear . If the playfield graphics haven't lifted :)
I will be taking Grandmas plastics off the sofa :)

Good point forgot about the problems with new playfields, shame pfizer don’t make a clear coat formulation☺️

Good point forgot about the problems with new playfields, shame pfizer don’t make a clear coat formulation☺

Clears need sorting out on the Sterns.
Maybe someone on here can let us know if the new JP and Elvira pins have changed,
@Neil McRae @lee riley maybe you guys can let us know if its happened on these pins.

Back
Top Bottom