What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield protector peeling advice

Wintonmartin

Site Supporter
Alias
Wintonmartin
Hi all

I've just picked up a royal rumble and noticed the playfield was dirty in a few areas. Once I got it home and took a closer look I found its the playfield protector.
Whats the script with removing these and leaving them off with regular care of the playfield? I'd imagine to replace it, it'll require the playfield stripping. If I go down that route, how easy are they to fit?

Thanks

Its clear its not been looked after and plenty of dirt underneath. I've peeled the bit thats loose and cleaned it with novus. The protector is generally in a poor condition and makes the game look dull.
20201012_213738.jpg

Sounds like you are talking about removing mylar rather than one of the newer loose playfield protectors.

There are two opposing camps for doing this: using heat or a freeze spray.

I've not done it myself, but if you Google "removing playfield mylar" you'll find no end of advice about it.

Whichever way you go, take it carefully - there is a real danger of lifting some of the paint or the insert printing

Just type mylar removal in the forum search box, there are plenty of examples and discussions over the years..

Thanks. I had a look last night but was searching 'protector' (I'm a noobie)
Hopefully it won't be painful and I can get the game looking good!

I take it the playfield protectors alot thicker than the mylar?

Thanks

Playfield protectors are about 1mm thick, maybe less, but they sit on the surface and can move or get dust underneath. Mylar is usually factory and firmly stuck down. I have a few games with PF protectors on, and they work really well as long as you accept they might need removing or replacing every 5yrs or so maybe. The ball movement can be a bit different, but not enough to care.

Are they easy to fit?

I might just carefully trim the raised areas for now and worry about it when I do a lamp and rubber replacement. Is there anything I could put over for now to protect it?

I've ordered some freeze spray and will give it my best on the weekend.
A couple of videos looks really tough when peeling but majority look really easy

Also get a bottle of Ipa and bag of flower.
Freeze above mylar then get an edge then freeze below to fully release. Always let it freeze before attempting to pull.

I just use surgical spirit from chemist to clean glue on this era game ... just plan surgical not with the caster oil in as well

Surgical spirit has added ingredients. Use Ipa ebay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201014-143936.png
    Screenshot_20201014-143936.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 6
When mylar frozen off then sprinkle on flower over all the glue residue then spray on Ipa after about a minute start rolling the flour.

Flower and ipa or goo gone is the recognised way to go. You can if you want use alternative ways 😂

Nothing like using industry standard products, flour! Haha.
Its going to be an experience thats for sure!

I got some off amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08F7ZSCHD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dy0HFbHMCADYW

Next question. What if I make a pigs ear of it and some paint comes up? Can it be touched up? I watched a video on YouTube where they used acrylic paints and clear coated it (I hope it doesn't come to that)

Some people pull up the mylar before the freeze spray has finished freezing don't do that. . Key thing to remember go slow. Spray above and below mylar then gently lift. I like using electrical freeze spray it works very well. Not all freeze spray is equal. Some freeze to a lower temp than you want and will damage the top coat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201014-200803.png
    Screenshot_20201014-200803.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 6
Update

So I've got the mylar off and surprised on how easy it was with the freeze spray. Sadly, as I expected, there's a couple of areas where the paintwork has lifted. There was a chip which I knew would be a problem but a couple of other small areas that need attention.
I've attached some photos and if anyone can offer any advice please. I've read about using a small amount of epoxy and acrylic paint.

Ive also started on the mammoth task of removing the glue but going to finish for the evening and drink the pain away.

Attachments

• 20201017_183606.jpg
    20201017_183606.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201017_183602.jpg
    20201017_183602.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 24
Doesnt look to bad, what needs touching up looks like it's not to difficult . The expert on here is @chris platt , anything on playfield touch ups and repair he is your man to ask.

I once completely messed up a data east game by lifting the mylar. But have had a lot more success on bally williams WPC/WPC95 games.

Personally I get a corner up and use servisol label remover with a tooth brush and patience.

Then once it is off you have to get rid of the glue.

Back
Top Bottom