What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pintroller - A controller for virtual pinball

davidjrice

Registered
Hey folks,

I’m starting to work on a new project idea I had, that I’m tentatively calling “Pintroller”, a controller for virtual pinball.

The idea is to make a plug and play USB controller unit on an Arduino board with real pinball hardware that acts as a standard game pad controller with:

* LED enabled buttons
* 2x flipper buttons
* 2x magna save button
* launch ball button
* coin button
* start game button
* a menu button
* integration with PinMAME events to control lighting that is reactive with the table

Stretch goals include

* nudge integration with an accelerometer
* a colour DMD with the real score board
* a speaker that could be used for table sounds
* wireless?

The main benefit for me would be being able to conveniently store away the unit when not in use and use with my setup until I maybe build a permanent cabinet unit.

I think it might be useful for other people in the same situation or even anyone building a new pin too as I plan on probably open sourcing the code for it and could document a parts list.

Has anyone done a build like this before? I’ve not found any product like this I could just buy.

I’ve found a couple interesting related open source projects but not this exactly.

Would anyone be interested in such a device / kit?

Also, any recommendations for parts to consider or where to get them would be appreciated!

Having used Pinscape since its evolution and before that the other kit that also used a KL25z board - I feel that an upgrade is well over due.

First issue is KL25Zs are expensive - when you can get them!

However I will say unless you have the nudge in it from day one - it is not going to do much on the market as pinscape do have it covered. It is currently the best way to add a nudge.

You would also need to fit an analog plunger emulation - most people use a pot. Again this is in pinscape.

You will also need an EXIT button and people do like an EXTRA BALL button.

The colour display thing - do you need to bother with Pin2dmd and now ZeDMD? A lot now use a stretch screen or even a 15" monitor as they use pinup a lot that supports a larger DMD (ie a kinda modern stern size one).

I wouldnt go wireless. Flipper lag is the biggest enemy with any vpin.

Great idea to use an arduino, Take the price down.

The old price for a KL25Z was about £15-20. Now people want three times that. I have a small stock as they are valuable to me to hang onto.

Hey folks,

I’m starting to work on a new project idea I had, that I’m tentatively calling “Pintroller”, a controller for virtual pinball.

The idea is to make a plug and play USB controller unit on an Arduino board with real pinball hardware that acts as a standard game pad controller with:

* LED enabled buttons
* 2x flipper buttons
* 2x magna save button
* launch ball button
* coin button
* start game button
* a menu button
* integration with PinMAME events to control lighting that is reactive with the table

Stretch goals include

* nudge integration with an accelerometer
* a colour DMD with the real score board
* a speaker that could be used for table sounds
* wireless?

The main benefit for me would be being able to conveniently store away the unit when not in use and use with my setup until I maybe build a permanent cabinet unit.

I think it might be useful for other people in the same situation or even anyone building a new pin too as I plan on probably open sourcing the code for it and could document a parts list.

Has anyone done a build like this before? I’ve not found any product like this I could just buy.

I’ve found a couple interesting related open source projects but not this exactly.

Would anyone be interested in such a device / kit?

Also, any recommendations for parts to consider or where to get them would be appreciated!
I would be interested, but only if it had nudge.

Are you aiming for something like this? I have a desktop vpin setup and have thought about making something similar but just end up using the keyboard as I think it'd be an awkward hand position at normal sitting height.

I'd definitely include an accelerometer.

vpin.png

Not sure how heavy you'd have to make it so you weren't accidently nudging when just pressing buttons, I know you can tailor the sensitivity but also don't want to have to move the box around several inches on a desk all the time.

Back
Top Bottom