What's new

Pinsound, file types and bonus GNR pinsound file news :)

Spadge

Registered
Folks with Pinsounds, one thing that winds me up having a few machines and wanting to test the various mixes is the irritating conversion process when you dump a .Zip on a USB and leave the machine to it. This is a slow process accompanied by a song that will get on your nerves.

So how to avoid this?

Most of the files uploaded on the pinsound community board are .OGG files which are high quality, highly compressed audio files. Pinsound uses .WAV files (which are uncompressed). Unfortunately using an archive app on WAVs doesn't yield good savings and its almost the same size after compression, which for a ton of WAVs for Pinsound is likely to be in the Gigabytes, which is sure to annoy people with slow connections.

The answer is to unzip the remix package of your choice and then run it through an audio converter program that supports batch processing. I use Switch (for mac, but there's a PC version too) - you can just select the folder where your audio is and have it convert all the files in there to high quality WAV (44khz) and also delete the source file (generally the corresponding .OGG).

The conversion just takes a minute or two and then you can drop the audio folder onto a USB and it'll work straight from the off, no lousy waiting or converting.

I did all this earlier this morning after spotting there was a new GNR remix pack uploaded - and it's excellent, all the audio is normalised, didn't hear any clipping and if you have GNR and Pinsound, go get it!

Now i've found a process that works really well I'll download all the remixes for all the games on Pinsound I have, quickly convert them and add to the USB's for each. Win.

Feeling smug that an hour later, I now have Pinsound remixes & originals all converted on my HD, one batch process on 9,000 files. Now I can just drag them onto USB at any time and have them work straight away. :D

That's a great tip.

Ironically, originally with Pinsound you had to go through that process to convert everything to .wavs, but the Pinsound guys then "simplified" the whole thing by giving the board the ability to process everything for you - albeit at a snail's pace - so people without the skills could avoid having to muck about with batch conversions on a PC.

That's a great tip.

Ironically, originally with Pinsound you had to go through that process to convert everything to .wavs, but the Pinsound guys then "simplified" the whole thing by giving the board the ability to process everything for you - albeit at a snail's pace - so people without the skills could avoid having to muck about with batch conversions on a PC.

With good intent but with such poorly equipped proecssing untis it wasn't really feasible.

I quite agree - but it must have reduced the support calls to them to have the board just handle it - and supply pleasant music - ahem - while its working so you know that it's chugging away.

Just colour me impatient and agitated by elevator music :) plus only one of my pinsound cards (in TAF) seems to convert reliably whereas others report all kinds of errors.

The freely downloadable "Pinsound Studio" software also converts the .ogg to .wav files automatically too so they can just be copied over to a USB drive.

Did you realise you can also store multiple mixes on the USB drive at the same time and then change between them by reducing the volume all the way to 0 and then back up again on WPC machines at least? Not sure how worthwhile this is if you are moving the board between machines but I have all 3 mixes on my T2 (original, reorchestrated and movie soundtrack) and you can even swap between them in the middle of a game. All of this info is on the Pinsound website: https://www.pinsound.org/changing-mixes-during-game/ https://www.pinsound.org/sound-files-usage/

any of you guys using new speakers?

I fitted new speakers from Keith @new forest pinball to my old Star Wars and it made a decent improvement over the standard Data East crap (mainly around how loud you could crank it without distortion). The kits he sells are also significantly cheaper than Pinball Pro or Flipper Fidelity so worth the investment IMHO :thumbs:

I have issues with my GNR getting the volume mix right before it clips. There's the pinball pro backbox/cab mixer, the pinsound amp mixer volume settings and the volume pot to get right :-/

Back
Top Bottom