What's new

Pinball UK?

I must admit the whole sole trader thing is murky waters for me. Don't you have to either trade under your name or a registered trademark? Pinball UK is not a registered trademark. Anyway, regardless...the point is just don't going paying over the odds to a dealer thinking it buys you any extra protection or expectation of quality.

i don't understand where this thread has gone. feedback above seems generally positive. is that not the desired outcome?

I am overall happy with my machine as I said earlier. But I won't be a repeat customer. When you're paying top whack for a shopped machine you expect a few things as minimum e.g. all rebuilt flippers (not flippers with incorrect parts and the wrappers removed to make them look shiny).

I agree with RobZombie

I probably would not buy from pinball uk again.
Colin was a nice chap, sold me a ToM supposedly fully workshopped.
First machine having been out of having a game from 10+ years.
On arrival, the machine looked beautiful, visually looked like a great job

After he left I found the game had a bad humming transformer, Colin not massively helpful after service.
There were a few other small problems which i ended up fixing myself, as after service was not good.
I leaned a lot about opto's and switch matrix !

It was not until i sold the machine to raise funds to build my pin shed, that i realised just how rubbish the restore was.
The buyer pointed out that the new decals were very poor quality, thin and cheap.
He ended up having the machine fully workshopped and a whole host of nasty's were unearthed.

I would say that the game looked beautiful on delivery, but mechanically / electronically not workshopped, cheap decals and i paid top $

I would not go there again,my Elvis came form there, flippers so weak would not make the ramp and then after I kept watching the utube vids I thought mine did not sound like that, because it was in Italian !
So £40 later for full set of roms, installed flipper kits and also replaced a transistor which looked like a fresh shiny repair, only the transistor was soldered onto the cut legs of the old one !
He did tell me he was workshopping the machine, so I would expect it to have good strong flippers and to be in English
Why take these shortcuts for the sake of £100 worth of parts............

Not true. You played the machine for over half an hour at my place before you took it away, and there were no issues with the flippers being too weak to make the ramp then. And for clarity, I did not say the machine was workshopped, only that it was being cleaned and rerubbered. On the other hand, the Dr Who you put in part exchange, (which I did not set up at the time as i took your word for it) was not fully working, as the time expander was not working right, and despite numerous messages, you never sent me the full Cliffy set that you promised to include.

I had a lot of Spider-Man machines in mid 2010, so I was selling them for between 2300 and 2600. I've never had a Super Mario.

Pinball machines often throw up nasty surprises no matter who you buy them from. No two folk will ever agree on what "good" or "workshopped" or "rebuilt flippers" actually means. Until you get in there with your tools, take the mechs to bits etc ... you do not know what state the game is truly in

You must see them and test them UNLESS you know the seller AND you know that both of you speak the same language. I have bought two games from @chris b for example and I know that I can trust his descriptions

Even moving the damned things can then cause problems

Hope that in the excitement of the whole process (anticipation, preparation, long ride, thought of handing over thousands on a bl@@dy toy you do not need, wanting to get home avoiding rush hour traffic, trying to arrive home before it is too dark to safely get the damned thing inside ......) you do inspect it thoroughly before you commit

The key things for me are about how much you pay and how it was described

If you pay a premium on the back of unfulfilled promises and a racy sales pitch then you are right to feel aggrieved if you have been mislead ie 2k on a "top notch, fully workshopped and tested HS2 that is 100 percent working with lots of new parts"

But if you pay 1.5k for that same HS2 on the back of a more modest description, you will probably be more comfortable when the inevitible nasty surprises reveal themselves - "nice example, everything seems to work, usual wear spots, properly maintained - test it before you buy it" -

Not true. You played the machine for over half an hour at my place before you took it away, and there were no issues with the flippers being too weak to make the ramp then. And for clarity, I did not say the machine was workshopped, only that it was being cleaned and rerubbered. On the other hand, the Dr Who you put in part exchange, (which I did not set up at the time as i took your word for it) was not fully working, as the time expander was not working right, and despite numerous messages, you never sent me the full Cliffy set that you promised to include.

I have emails from you someplace saying you are going to fully strip the machine, I had one game which was my fist game which lasted a possible 5 minutes, left flipper was sticking up, but I wanted a Elvis and after spending 3 hours on the road I was going to take it.
It was not till I got it home and lifted the playfield to see just how bad it all was, I forgot about the new left ramp I ordered from Phil because all the welds had come apart and every time a ball went that way the ramp was flapping about.
Rerubbered ? nope was not done, the game was not even in English ? I got the roms from a member on here.
As for Dr Who it worked fine which is why I asked you to fire it up to test but you wouldnt ?
No big deal now, the machine has gone, but like others I expected a good quality pin from a pinball dealer, this was something I would expect to find on ebay.

What you're saying just isn't accurate. You were not just there for five minutes, you played it for around half an hour and raised no problems with it. I told you I was picking the machine up for you when I was on holiday in Italy. I told you the machine was being cleaned and rerubbered and was fully working but sold with no warranty. And that is exactly what you got. There was no problem with the ramp, and the machine was rerubbered. It was working when it left me, and I loaded it into your vehicle as you said you had never transported a machine before. I didn't power up Dr Who as I said, as I trusted your description. I also trusted that you would send me the Cliffy protector set that it needed and that you promised to send me, but you never did so I had to buy a set myself. As you say, time has now passed, but you have chosen to post inaccurate comments about what happened so I have responded.

What you're saying just isn't accurate. You were not just there for five minutes, you played it for around half an hour and raised no problems with it. I told you I was picking the machine up for you when I was on holiday in Italy. I told you the machine was being cleaned and rerubbered and was fully working but sold with no warranty. And that is exactly what you got. There was no problem with the ramp, and the machine was rerubbered. It was working when it left me, and I loaded it into your vehicle as you said you had never transported a machine before. I didn't power up Dr Who as I said, as I trusted your description. I also trusted that you would send me the Cliffy protector set that it needed and that you promised to send me, but you never did so I had to buy a set myself. As you say, time has now passed, but you have chosen to post inaccurate comments about what happened so I have responded.

I'm not even going to comment on this again.....

What was wrong with the Time Expander on the Dr Who ?
I know that it was working 100% when Robert bought it because I sold it to him. He didn't have it that long.
I was sold it with a fault (that was highlited meticulously when I bought it) and I fully stripped it and sorted out the faults. I have the tear down photos to show what I did with it. The Time Expander worked flawlessly in all the time that I had that game.

What was wrong with the Time Expander on the Dr Who ?
I know that it was working 100% when Robert bought it because I sold it to him. He didn't have it that long.
I was sold it with a fault (that was highlited meticulously when I bought it) and I fully stripped it and sorted out the faults. I have the tear down photos to show what I did with it. The Time Expander worked flawlessly in all the time that I had that game.

It worked fine for me, stopped where it should every time and played it the night before, I think I got rid of it 3 weeks after I got it and not because anything was wrong with It.
I wanted a Elvis big time and when I got the message that one was coming his way I did the deal.
I was not informed it was coming from Italy and would not be in English !
I have learnt a great from the guys on here, still learning, but a new member to pinball would of not been able to fix all the problems.
I thought I had damaged the board when I put the roms in as just had a flashing led, one rom was the wrong way round because the ic holder was in the board the wrong way and pin 1 was not to the left of the cut out on the ic holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom