What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pinball trolly, will this do the job?

dont think that will go high enough

this or similar 150Kg is what many of us have:

dont think that will go high enough

this or similar 150Kg is what many of us have:
150kg should be adequate for a lot of Pins but some like WOZ (178kg) and Hobbit (159kg) will exceed it.

150kg should be adequate for a lot of Pins but some like WOZ (178kg) and Hobbit (159kg) will exceed it.
Moved my JJP POTC no problem, something rated 150kg is going to be just fine +30%

The 300Kg or higher trolley lifts are more expensive, and, worse, are very very heavy, so I would stick with the 150. They are heavy enough as it is.

👆
I have this very same one albeit back when they were sub £200 😳
However without it I couldn’t move pins at all.

I have now just received @Garry Sp8 Leg dooberiewhatsits and looking forward to trying those next shuffle.

I was thinking of putting a block or some thing on it for the extra height, 680kg. will pop in shop, to see in action

👆
I have this very same one albeit back when they were sub £200 😳
However without it I couldn’t move pins at all.

I have now just received @Garry Sp8 Leg dooberiewhatsits and looking forward to trying those next shuffle.
did you have this on at machine mart?

I have one the same - with a large wooden box 'shim'. Works ok for me - but I work on EMs and early SS generally, so never needed bigger. Solid bit of kit.

did you have this on at machine mart?
My 1st one was from machine mart but after 10yrs it sprang a leak so I chucked on eBay being truthful about the problem. The guy who bought it used to buy and repair them.
I then bought a brand new one off eBay on offer less than £200 identical to the one above.

Last edited:
Several places online are showing stock but have none - placed an order earlier and subsequently cancelled as stock not due until September!

So, I've ordered this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23346631...uid=PcWdNf1MS9m&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looks the same with folding handles but cheaper and delivery included instead of an extra fifty quid - will update on how it works when it arrives.
Interested how you get on with this as although I'd only use it maybe once a year, I do worry about my back when setting up a new Pin. It's the lifting and lowering I need help with, I've got PinSkates™ for moving machines around when the legs are on.

For those that have similar, can you put the front legs on a tombstoned Pin, lower the front so the legs touch the ground then jack up the back? If you have to lower it down without the legs on then I don't think I'd be much better off.

Interested how you get on with this as although I'd only use it maybe once a year, I do worry about my back when setting up a new Pin. It's the lifting and lowering I need help with, I've got PinSkates™ for moving machines around when the legs are on.

For those that have similar, can you put the front legs on a tombstoned Pin, lower the front so the legs touch the ground then jack up the back? If you have to lower it down without the legs on then I don't think I'd be much better off.
From tombstone, I tend to lower the front so the machine's resting balanced on the truck, lift it, then attach front & back legs. Gotta get the balance right, tho.

From tombstone, I tend to lower the front so the machine's resting balanced on the truck, lift it, then attach front & back legs. Gotta get the balance right, tho.
Is that with the trolley at the front or side? I've watched a couple of Neil's unboxing videos and he lowers it down with the jack at the front. I didn't think the weight distribution would work but it seems fairly balanced with the backbox down.

I ended up buying this one, £301 with free next day delivery. *Note that if you order one from here your order doesn't update to say it's been dispatched and you don't get any delivery notifications. I assumed they hadn't dispatched it but the delivery man turned up with it in the afternoon.

It's exactly the same as the Loadsurfer, weighs a lot more than I was expecting!

It will only get minimal use but if it prevents one slipped disc or other injury it will be worth it.

The worst part for me of getting a new Pin is getting the back legs on, and I wasn't looking forward to removing the backbox on my RFM when it's time to sell but this will help a lot if I can take the legs off and lower it all the way to the ground.

Screenshot_20230818-185430_kindlephoto-412379836.png

OK, got the eBay one and it seems to work fine but as was pointed out, you can't get it right under the machine because the handle doesn't fold flat.

I was all ready to cut the handle and use the bimini mod that's on Pinside for the fixed handle Harbour Freight lift when I realised that I could change the handle position. I removed the locking bar, took out the pins securing the handle and moved it to the lower holes which is where the locking bar was originally attached.

Change mount point.jpeg

The result is a handle that folds totally flat away from the bed, so you can get the lift all the way under the machine, right to the back. Length wise you could store it like that I guess if there's a bit of space behind, otherwise you might end up kicking the handle whilst playing

Flat all the way.jpeg

The handle still folds forwards onto the bed to clear under the machine but is no longer flat - removing a bit of the metal with a Dremel would probably fix that.

Folder fits under.jpeg

There's still a slight issue with lifting - because the base of the cabinet isn't flat but at an angle, it still lifts a bit 'front first' so I suspect a PinJack would still be more reliable for minor level adjustments on the rear legs only.

Lifting starts at front.jpeg

Probably a bit extreme to lift from all the way back but it works and is stable.

On the lift.jpeg

thanks for the recommendation guys, got a Loadsurfer 150kg, and it is so easy to use. I was able to lift from the front (leaning on the front some). My BACK thanks you :) . I may look at putting some wooden posts on top to extend the base a bit (saw a picture posted in another thread) what a result, thanks

weighs a lot more than I was expecting!

It will only get minimal use but if it prevents one slipped disc or other injury it will be worth it.
I used to put mine in the footwell of my van to keep it out of the way when collecting, I gave myself an injury doing that once and doesn’t leave my garage now!
Handy for all sorts of things especially getting pub kegs out of the car without doing your back in😎

Why do people use these things on the base of the cabinet, that part isn't designed to be load bearing. The sides are designed to support the weight and that's where they should be supported from.

I understand they are handy and fit under the pin, they really should have some sort of extension block put on to them first before attempting to lift. There is a possibility of causing real damage to the base if only lifting on that part.

OK, got the eBay one and it seems to work fine but as was pointed out, you can't get it right under the machine because the handle doesn't fold flat.

I was all ready to cut the handle and use the bimini mod that's on Pinside for the fixed handle Harbour Freight lift when I realised that I could change the handle position. I removed the locking bar, took out the pins securing the handle and moved it to the lower holes which is where the locking bar was originally attached.

View attachment 229408

The result is a handle that folds totally flat away from the bed, so you can get the lift all the way under the machine, right to the back. Length wise you could store it like that I guess if there's a bit of space behind, otherwise you might end up kicking the handle whilst playing

View attachment 229406

The handle still folds forwards onto the bed to clear under the machine but is no longer flat - removing a bit of the metal with a Dremel would probably fix that.

View attachment 229407

There's still a slight issue with lifting - because the base of the cabinet isn't flat but at an angle, it still lifts a bit 'front first' so I suspect a PinJack would still be more reliable for minor level adjustments on the rear legs only.

View attachment 229405

Probably a bit extreme to lift from all the way back but it works and is stable.

View attachment 229404
i have the same trolly, just glue or screw a 2 inch or so piece of wood to the end so it lifts up equally

View attachment 229408

View attachment 229406

View attachment 229407

View attachment 229405

View attachment 229404

That's a lot of weight going through the cab base. You might be better off putting a couple of bits of wood across the Jack so that the cab sides take the weight

That's a lot of weight going through the cab base. You might be better off putting a couple of bits of wood across the Jack so that the cab sides take the weight
The weight's spread over a wide area though, not through a single point (or 4 points, as in the legs).

I know pin cabs aren't designed to be supported by the base, but it's hard to imagine lifting using one of these trolleys being an issue. Without the trolley, people lift them on their backs by crabbing around without issue. I could be wrong here, but I don't remember anyone on the forum ever reporting an issue where the base of a cab collapsed whilst lifting by any means.

I suspect this is one of those overkill type ideas that suddenly gain traction on here for no apparent reason, like the ambient humidity of the room pins are stored in, or other things where (imo) people are worrying about stuff that isn't really a problem.

I'm not saying using a trolley is bad. I'm saying that lifting 150kg through a plywood base is a recipe for disaster

IMG_6727.jpeg

IMG_6726.jpeg

Versus

IMG_6728.jpeg

I'm not saying using a trolley is bad. I'm saying that lifting 150kg through a plywood base is a recipe for disaster

View attachment 239531

View attachment 239530

Versus
Those pics aren't the same cabinet though are they?

The first picture shows the lift working fine, the second shows a different cabinet with some unexplained base damage - damage that doesn't look like it was caused by a lift, it looks more like water damage.

The first picture shows the lift working fine, the second shows a different cabinet with some unexplained base damage - damage that doesn't look like it was caused by a lift, it looks more like water damage.

It was intended to show how flimsy/thin cab bases are.

People can lift cabs anyway they want. But we get a lot of newbies through here and they should know that there's a risk of catastrophic damage lifting an entire cabs weight through its base.

The first picture shows someone taking the gamble in my opinion, I wouldn't want to crawl under that one

When I get time I'm thinking of using a motorcycle/ATV lift. The downsides are that it requires a bit of work for the wooden trolley and better wheels. It's also a bit narrower than the tables above, so might be a less stable.
I've googled this to death and my favourite looking trolly option is 'Redneck pinball Dolly version 2.0'. It's about the 4th version he's built. About 3/4 of the way down his page at http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/dolly/dolly.html

Advantages are:
- Cheap. Less than 100 pounds for a new lift.
- High weight limits. ie > 600kg
- I like the idea of a semi-circle on the base to get the pin from vertical to horizontal

If there is a flaw in this then please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom