What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball strapping recommendations

VeeMonroe

Registered
Can anyone describe/recommend how to secure a pinball machine safely in a rented van? I know this is something to do with strapping, but no idea.

Can anyone describe/recommend how to secure a pinball machine safely in a rented van? I know this is something to do with strapping, but no idea.
If it's one Pinball in a small van, blanket on the floor , put it in layer down and cushions front, back left and right.

If it's one Pinball in a small van, blanket on the floor , put it in layer down and cushions front, back left and right.
Yes, one pin, small van, travelling a short (hopefully) distance across south London.

Just use a couple of ratchet straps over it, secured to anchor points in the van, with corrugated cardboard under the straps anywhere where they come into contact with the pin. And revolutionise your life by using auto-retractable ratchet straps - they're considerably more expensive than manual ones, but if you don't use ratchet straps every day, then every time you use them you'll need to teach yourself how the damned things work again. With these you just press a button :cool:

Just use a couple of ratchet straps over it, secured to anchor points in the van, with corrugated cardboard under the straps anywhere where they come into contact with the pin. And revolutionise your life by using auto-retractable ratchet straps - they're considerably more expensive than manual ones, but if you don't use ratchet straps every day, then every time you use them you'll need to teach yourself how the damned things work again. With these you just press a button :cool:
Ordered one of those, thanks :) Plus some manual ones!

Oh thank God. I thought it was only me who could never work out how to use them. The amount of times I’ve had a new game and stood there like a lemon trying to work out how to get the bloody strap back off 😂

^^^ lol Ref ratchets.
I get involved with lots of intense stuff for my job at work.
Then feel like a total twat cause I can’t commit the ratchet strap workings to memory.

The humble ratchet strap, never has something so simple, confused so many !
I love watching people at work trying to get their head around it, normally after intense mocking, I hear the cry “here you bloody do it then” 🤣🤣

I used to get it wrong and have to redo it every time I used them - such a pita :cuckoo: The auto-retractable ones are brilliant, none of that head-ache any more!

Was waiting for this, 😆

I haven't had an issue with transporting a pin on its belly.
It helps to have some old carpet or cardboard which you can put on the floor for the pin to sit on outside the van. Then you turn the pin around so the belly is facing the van and tip it in (make sure you have some card or carpet over the edge of the van to reduce chances of scrapes or damage to the van). Then you can lift the back of the pin which is still resting on the floor and slide it into the van.

Once in just pad out all the gaps and add straps if needed.
I've not strapped pins when on their belly in vans they can barely move due to their centre of gravity and the friction.

I can recommend https://www.theratchetshop.com/

For moving pins I prefer the 4.5m hookless strap:

I'd use the same with hooks for securing to the side or floor of a van:

Had rope holding machines to van side shear on me. Opened the rear door to find the machine hanging by 2 nylon threads woven into the middle of the rope..!

Had a ratchet work loose, it hadn't locked in place properly. I now tie the surplus strap over the ratchet leaver to prevent a reoccurrence.

Back
Top Bottom