What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball repair course

at pinfest sounds great.

I'd love a course on soldering...

Not sure about having it at Pinfest as there is so much other stuff happening (although it would save me a flight) There will be the league finals and probably some sort of ctournament/s going on. Not that that should stop it per se but might cause all sorts of problems with logisitics if people are in the finals/tournaments and also want to go to do some learning..

Just a thought

I have known Norbert for many years. He runs an excellent course and all that attend usually have glowing reports and gloat about their new pinball repair skills.

To be fair to Norbert, his course price would have been to try and cover airfare from Australia and some accommodation I suspect?

I can't see that he would have even covered his expenses at the prices mentioned here unless he managed to get about 10 starters?

Yes Norbert needed to cover his costs for his accommodation and rental of a presentation room in a hotel or conference center etc. He was basically priced out of the market by not being at least semi local..

Also, all attending - first bit of homework - download PINTRIX from the appstore (assuming its on google for android users), super valuable, has all the most common pin switch and lamp matrixes on it, great reference.

I learnt quite a bit from watching poibug fixing my bk2k at one of the shows, apparently you're not supposed to have tin foil wrapped around a fuse!! :rofl:

I do try and fix things when they break, but I would definitely be interested in learning how you diagnose faults and how to do things properly.

I learnt quite a bit from watching poibug fixing my bk2k at one of the shows, apparently you're not supposed to have tin foil wrapped around a fuse!! :rofl:

I do try and fix things when they break, but I would definitely be interested in learning how you diagnose faults and how to do things properly.

When I'm at a show trying to repair stuff you would be amazed how many faults are fixed by reseating cables,tightening bolts,and,especially tightening screes holding backboards in place.And it's scary the cack people leave in bottom of their games,either waiting to short out a tranny,or in transit have summat jam in place when on it's **** and then short out when powered on

don't worry I'm checking it next time i see it

Not posted on here for few days as I have been too busy reading the thread on ah and pinside too.
Anyway how do we take the various options forward? What are the next steps? Are we thinking a course for the northerners ran by Phil and one for the southeners based on Matt's advice? Or a single course somewhere in between? What time of year would be best? Is it better to place a date in a calendar 6months/12months from now and work from this?
What would the cost be? What would the format be? People bringing games in? Use trainers machines with typical faults built into them (my preferred option).
I guess i am looking at Phil and/or Matt to give us a bit of a steer on all this. But i am still very keen. Specially since I have a vector here that doesn't want to start. Resitted all the connectors made no difference. Ran out of idea. What's my next step?

Specially since I have a vector here that doesn't want to start.
I noticed sometimes on that machine the game wouldn't start unless the coin door is open - try that. Something is catching and likely moved about in shipping.

Hurrah. You are a genius. Thats fixed it. I can now start a game. Just need to fix the displays and background music.

Just need to fix the displays and background music.
The lithium button cell battery on the MPU (PCB A4 top left inside the backbox) likely needs replacing, without that the sounds (set via the adjustment button inside the coin door) defaults to just basic tones. Not sure on the displays try re-seating the connector on each, that machine still has the original IDC connectors so you may want to tool up for Molex at some stage.

I can tell you don't need that course and I can also tell I do. I'll try the battery. And yes I was going to re seat the connectors to the displays as this is always a good start. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom