What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Legs - Re surface or just buy new?

For my EMs what should i do about the legs?

• Clean off rust, get them looking okayish and leave alone.

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Get them related.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bin em and get new ones.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Biff

Site Supporter
10 Years
Alias
****a
Hi

Like a dodgy bird on Clackton sea front i seem to be neglecting my legs...

I have a few EMs and most of them have legs that are pretty corrdioed, or in some cases the surface layeyer of metalk, chrome Zinc or whate vever has been brushed off.

Thoughts please?

Clean off rust, get them looking okayish and leave alone?
Get them related?
Bin em and get new ones.

Take into account none of the EM bodies are minters, i don't do minting EMs, i just repair em, bring em back to life and tidy them up.

Let me have your thoughts please?

Cheers

JB

I've had to sort out some legs for X-Force in the last couple of weeks to be able to bring it to Pinfest. The ones it came with were the wrong length so I managed to get some correct ones but they were very rusty.

I went with the angle grinder to get the rust off, followed up with the wire brush drill attachment to remove any major grinding marks. I then used 2 coats of etch primer, 2 coats of gloss black and 2 coats of clear and whilst they'll never be minters they look more than presentable :thumbs:

For your ones, how about painting them some funky colours to match the cabinets? Or if you know a local powder coating place then maybe get them to do it?

i wouldn't get new legs, especially if you are not doing up the outside of the cabinet, probably look worse with new legs on an old cabinet.

Clean them up with a wire brush on a bench grinding wheel, rub them over with tinfoil and diet coke and jobs a good un

The legs on my middle earth were knackered. Re-plating was really expensive, so I got them powder coated. Cost about the same as a new set of legs but I got the side rails etc done at the same time, and it means they are the right legs for the machine as well.

Personally I enjoy(ish) restoring the legs. It give you a chance to try something a bit different too, on my latest shop I've painted the insides red - not sure what it looks like yet as I'm not going to fit them till I get to Pinfest on Friday and get some protectors!

Legs restore in my shop log from here - http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...t-2-till-rocket-iii-launch.40350/#post-264997

20180811_130724-jpg.69144

Back
Top Bottom