What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball in Sun Newspaper

good old Dave Rolfe. The last time I saw him was at Daventry in summer 2014, he was walking with a stick and looking unwell, his daughter Abbie was trying on my AFM Martian costume.

RIP Dave. I wonder how this made the paper and why now. And I wonder what games they think are worth 10K, as I only remember a load of early SS games so I'd reckon 200 - 2000 more accurate ...... but if Elaine is selling them, then I would suggest an auction-style sales technique on here and yahoo simultaneously to try for highest possible prices.

edit: i got my dates wrong, i found some photos from that event, it was August 2012

Last edited:
All his machines used the same key. Except one. They should check inside that one.

Dave's Welsh Classics was the first pinball event I went to after Daventry. Didn't know a soul, but was made to feel very welcome, both by Dave and the other guests.

I'll never forget that, just such a fantastic community around pinball. His family just threw the doors open to complete strangers, camping in the gardens, bbq running constantly. Great guy sadly missed.

Reactions: Arv
Never had the pleasure of meeting him but he's sat in front of great looking PARAGON so clearly the guy had good taste!

51 though... that's just not fair. A nice guy like that deservers more than that. I'm only 8 years younger but don't feel I'm even half way yet.

I'm gutted I never met him too, he lived pretty close to me but I was only just getting into pinball late 2012 and he passed away March 2013, no doubt would have seen a fair bit of him at local events.

Not certain if I ever met him but knew him by reputation.

Reading the articles, one thing jumps out "fostered 25 children" . Something like that speaks volumes about someone. 25 people have had their lives changed massively by Dave and his wife.

Yes, went on quite a few trips abroad with Dave, Harry and Abbie. :cool:

Not to mention attending some of the many Saturday night parties when all the locals from miles around and a few pinheads showed (conveniently the day before a lague meet or Welsh Classic tournament). :rolleyes:

Abi and Dan used to love beating Greg on Dave's machines at the South West League meets held there. :rofl:

Dave even attended the first Special When Lit league meet and supported the Xmas tournaments bringing a machine along with Harry and Abbie. :clap:

It was his birthday the other week and I suspect Elaine rememissing was how this ended up in the paper.

Tried to find a photo or two and all I can find is this one with Abbie in the bobble hat at the old unit with a few familiar faces on here...

BM_SWL_001.JPG

A sad loss, never knew Dave but have heard of him, bit scary at 51! you never know what's round the corner! got me worried! I'm 53 and we Foster also:suspect:

Not certain if I ever met him but knew him by reputation.

Reading the articles, one thing jumps out "fostered 25 children" . Something like that speaks volumes about someone. 25 people have had their lives changed massively by Dave and his wife.
Top bloke. Fostering 25 children is unbelievable.

A sad loss, never knew Dave but have heard of him, bit scary at 51! you never know what's round the corner! got me worried! I'm 53 and we Foster also:suspect:
I don't know if it's an age thing but i've become all too aware of how unfair life can be. 53 is no age and it's only a few months since I lost another friend from a gaming forum and he was only in his early 40's. I'm 42 and it's made me very thankful for what I have and reminded me to make the most of life.

We foster too. It's nice to hear of other people doing the same as well because they seem to always be in demand for new carers.

Anyway, it's nice to see a tribute like this to Dave. A sad loss but a great way to remember him.

Dave was a top top bloke, witty and kind, he knew he was going to die and yet he took it in his stride, he made his wishes known for the funeral which was a real celebration of his life and inevitably packed out.

For those of you who didn't meet Dave, here's some reading:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/welshclassic2008/index.html

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/welshclassic2009/index.html

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/welshclassic2010/index.html

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/welshclassic2012/

Intending to write an article on Dave Rolfe and the Welsh Pinball Classic.

Helped to put on and have some good stories to share.
When I get the article completed and have the family approval, I will sort out the next bit.

Have tried to continue as the Welsh Social and the Welsh Pinball Cup since, but not in 2016.

Dave.

Dave was an absolute Gent,a truly great guy.

I first met him at an Irish open at Andy Heighways in Limerick. Then went to 3 or 4 welsh opens at his, great event but usually played with a hangover as he had a legendary party the night before. Sad day at the last Welsh open, we all realised that it was the last meet and possibly the last time we would be able to meet up with Dave and the family.

A truly sad loss. I still kick my self I couldn't get to his funeral

Back
Top Bottom