What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Euphoria.

pintableuser

Registered
What is it that makes playing pinball so much fun???

Having spent the last ten weeks on remote palm fringed beaches I return to the comfort of home and a familiar room of large shapes covered by dust sheets.

I am experiencing a feeling of high anticipation as I slowly peel back the sheets to reveal a carnival of colour. They are ......"beautifull"..... but even better with the lights-on!!!!

Power-up one by one and several single "Bongs" , flashing bright coloured lights and bright Dot Matrix displays tells me all is well in the world of Bally/Williams......
the attract music lures me into position.
Steady.......
as my senses reach a new high as my left hand reaches for the start button which when pressed brings a single glinting silver ball into position with a very satisfying reverberating Click.
Sound is increased and becomes a little manic as the plunger is released and both hands swiftly take up position to activate the flipper buttons.

Game-On.........
Bright colourful flashing lights, music, bells n whistles sing song voices from the speakers, ever changing animation/information from the dot-matrix, the clicks the deep clunks as the ball is catapulted between slingshots, bumpers, upkickers and flippers and the tinkling as the ball travels over the habitrails.

The game is alive....
the room is filled with the sound of strange voices, music, mechanical clicks, clunks and whirrs, the walls reflect the flashing lights...... welcome to the world of Pinball where for the time of a game nothing else exists.

Yehhhh.....!! pinball has a tight hold on me.... but what is it???????

They had years to perfect what would make a certain type of person reach into their pockets for money and knew how to hit the jackpot with our senses as we aimed to hit the jackpot with that silver ball. :)

For me, I think at its most base it's all aural satisfaction (spelt that way)

There's a satisfaction in making a shot and getting a reaction from the machine. Just like scoring a goal or potting a pool ball or hitting a bullseye I guess.
Definitely a psychological thing. Something about a clean shot activating a noise, light show or sequence.

Plus I'm just hypnotised by the lights, if I'm in a pub and there's a fruit machine across the way I'll find myself just watching the pattern of lights cycle without even realising.

The fact that score or competition is fairly irrelevant to me kinda shows how much, personally, the influence is in sights, sounds and shots.
I'm "that guy" who shoots the no points ramp over and over on a loop just because I get a fuzzy feeling from it :D

I was going to use the word aural, but that didn't include the other senses, are you only referring to hearing?

Plus I'm just hypnotised by the lights, if I'm in a pub and there's a fruit machine across the way I'll find myself just watching the pattern of lights cycle without even realising.

Guilty of this too.

Without doubt its a long lasting passion with me......... and outweighs all my other "man and machine" hobbies. :)

I cant play much pinball right now. My kitchen is in bits waiting for it to deliver and install itself so mine are covered up with boxes of crap in front of 'em.

As for the euphoria thing yeah, i get that. The first time i fought the borg (sttng was my first pin) at home, by myself, i damn near **** myself with joy. I crushed those suckers and wanted the world to know. I dont think i will ever forget that moment. Currently with a kitchen in bits, mine are covered and blocked by boxes. Gutted a bit, but i'm assured by a man down the phone my kitchen will install itself shortly so i'll get back to it soon.

They are ......"beautifull"..... but even better with the lights-on!!!!

They certainly are - I love playing all of them but the first thing I start with while looking for my next pin is "How beautiful is it?"

Course... beauty is in the eye of the beholder but good looks is one of the reasons I'm looking for a Spanish Eyes

John

I really like it when in the main pinball room,the lights are off but the poibug pinball neon is on,and there a 9 people in the line blatting away at the pins,and the awesome noise of the pins,and the great light shows,but more importantly people enjoying themselves.Brings back the good memories as a kid in the arcades in Rhyl.Lets be honest those can ONLY be the good memories you can have of Rhyl.Apart from leaving there!

I cant play much pinball right now. My kitchen is in bits waiting for it to deliver and install itself so mine are covered up with boxes of crap in front of 'em.

Man......I just worry that when that new kitchen of yours is finished the design and installation team allows space for all your pins?????
I recently bought two pins from a guy whose wife would not let them back into the house let alone the new kitchen!!!! Its a cunning female plan. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I rebuilt the kitchen so I could have more space for pins, I had that wrote into the contract with the Wife. Any identified space was filled within six months so now we need to move. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom