What's new

Pinball cabin roof disaster

lukewells

Registered
I just went in the cabin tonight and the roof is soaking wet all the way down the middle

WTF has happened?

I don't even remember it raining?

IMG_20140516_194830 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20140516_194850 (Medium).jpg

I really don't have the time, money or energy left to be dealing with this :(

if its not rained and you have no water pipes up there it can only be condensation Id of thought especially as its warm today. Do you have any vents in there?

I take it you don't have any breathing space between the panels and the roof ?

That seems to be a helluva lot of fluid for condensation. I'm thinking it could be old water stored up somewhere during a rainy period and it's just starting to seep through?

I'd go with condensation too. Even though there's a lot of water, all the visible water is in droplets towards the peak of the roof. If it was a leak from the outside, you'd expect it to roll down the inside of the wooden roof, or the back of the plasterboard, to somewhere it could gather like a structural beam in the roof, then spread into the plasterboard outwards from there. If there are no beams behind where you see those water drops then I can't see how it could have soaked through like that from the outside. And it's been toasty warm in the North West for the last few days :)

I can't breath in here now. Got 2 fan heaters, the dehumidifier and a large portable air con on dry mode and the wet patches are almost entirely gone. Its like 30c in here jesh

Reactions: JT.
You've insulated the entire cabin , roof, floor and walls, are there no windows ? take the insulation off the roof, it will be fine in there.
My cabin was hitting 35. Degrees today. But not a problem, no water got to let it breathe.

What the... :eek:.

The fact it's in one place initially makes me think it's a leak - didn't we have rain one night this week...? Can check the felt for you Luke. The erectors could have spaced out the clutch nails too far (should be no more than 100mm apart) and/or there could be too little overlap between sheets. I've seen this done before.

Otherwise, if it is condensation (I would have thought warm air inside condensating on the cold roof overnight rather than the other way round) then gets some vents in there. Mentioned when you were building it about putting in sliding vents at least, at high and low levels. When I bought my cottage, had to put vents on ALL of the existing UPVC window frames, plus two additional wall vents to get on top of condensation due to high insulation in the walls and loft. You know how hot my home gets ! Could be exactly same thing.

Struggling today but could call Sunday morning to take a look at the roof with you.

Ouch that looks nasty!! Looks like condensation with all the droplets but could that be because the water is seeping through and then forming into droplets? Also very strange that it is just in one place?

Hottest day of the year yesterday so could the sun beating down on the shed really cause that? Did you have cooling fans on prior to noticing the water?

It's much dryer now

IMG_20140516_214340 (Medium).jpg

Also comparing the house to the cabin, the temp and humidity are not that far apart.

IMG_20140517_133631 (Small).jpg IMG_20140517_134713 (Small).jpg

Going to bake it in the cabin over the weekend with all heaters, aircon and dehudifier on to make sure it's totally dry

IMG_20140517_200612 (Small).jpg

@JMP, that's with all the heaters I can find on and AC and dehumidifier running to dry the air.

I think that's enough now seen as it is 60% humidity outside. I'll leave it to cool down now with the dehumidifier left on constant.

Roof is nice and dry now, will keep the dehumidifier running constant and see if the damp comes back

When all the pins are switched on this summer, it's going to be an oven in there. You going to put some venting in too? These don't cost any electricity....

Interesting reading. I put two vents either end of my man cave. They're the ones you can open and shut. Open in Summer and closed in Winter. I do have double glazed windows but hardly use them. And it'll only get warm in there in late afternoon during Summer.

Back
Top Bottom