What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin2k replacement monitor specs?

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Guys,

Has anyone out there swapped their big old heavy RFM/SWEP1 Pin2k monitor for a newer LED/LCD version?

If so, any comments? I presume that LED would be a better option than LCD because it is brighter and more defined (Blacks are blacker) and any recommendations on model numbers of screens?

Finally - how did you mount it??

Cheers
Paul

Paul

I have swapped my monitor for a LCD, you need to get a converter to change the EGA output to VGA

Will check out size and type of monitor tomorrow

I purchased a monitor mounting kit from the States, but to be honest it is probably easy to mount a vesa screen mount to a piece of wood…. and a lot cheaper!

Regards

Ian

Cheers chaps... So you have to change from ega to VGA - if I upgrade to pinbox, it's a standard VGA output, so no converters?? I have an ultimarc arcadevga if needed...

Just exploring options as may be able to get a free machine and monitor from work :)

Pinbox you dont need a converter.

The ultimarc converter needs to be modified and i failed to get it to work, I ended up buying a one converted for p2k.

If you have pinbox option I would try that.

I don't have to use the ultimarc..... In fact would prefer not to, but it's there.....

Modified?? Any pointers to info at all Ian??? ;) cheers

Needs an additional circuit for sync signal. I tried a few times to sort myself with no success. Requires an additional chip linking into the existing board. I ended up buying modified board from Lockwhenlit.com

If I was to do again i would go for nucore/pinbox and a led screen.

Interesting since Lockwhenlit have nothing listed on their site - will have to give them a shout, or have a good google :)

I presume the replacement lcd is 4:3 as opposed to widescreen???

Under products - Pinball 2000 CGA/VGA Converter

I will check the screen details later

Ahh sorry Ian - i thought it was an add-on for the Ultimarc card... not a separate converter...

Thanks for your help :)

I use that ebay converter 2 comments above with a simple 74ls02 as an inverting sync combiner. Works fine. Then I strip out a 19" 4;3 sync master monitor which will fit within the curves of the head vacated by the CRT. To stop the monitor dropping through I a thin ply mask over the underside with suitable cutout for the visible part of screen. Screen powered with 120v jumped from the aux output from the computer psu.

http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...ars-lcd-fit-and-how-to-make-sync-adapter.7957

I did take a brief look, however to be honest was after others experience as well (a combination of knowledge).

The good news is that it sounds like i have access to a free 20" dell and a suitable free PC too, so it'll cost nothing and hopefully improve things on the machine itself.....

Now if someone could just increase the number of hours in a day to 28 so i can fit everything in, then i might have the time too....!!

Back
Top Bottom