What's new

Pin2k replacement monitor specs?

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Guys,

Has anyone out there swapped their big old heavy RFM/SWEP1 Pin2k monitor for a newer LED/LCD version?

If so, any comments? I presume that LED would be a better option than LCD because it is brighter and more defined (Blacks are blacker) and any recommendations on model numbers of screens?

Finally - how did you mount it??

Cheers
Paul

Paul

I have swapped my monitor for a LCD, you need to get a converter to change the EGA output to VGA

Will check out size and type of monitor tomorrow

I purchased a monitor mounting kit from the States, but to be honest it is probably easy to mount a vesa screen mount to a piece of wood…. and a lot cheaper!

Regards

Ian

Cheers chaps... So you have to change from ega to VGA - if I upgrade to pinbox, it's a standard VGA output, so no converters?? I have an ultimarc arcadevga if needed...

Just exploring options as may be able to get a free machine and monitor from work :)

Pinbox you dont need a converter.

The ultimarc converter needs to be modified and i failed to get it to work, I ended up buying a one converted for p2k.

If you have pinbox option I would try that.

I don't have to use the ultimarc..... In fact would prefer not to, but it's there.....

Modified?? Any pointers to info at all Ian??? ;) cheers

Needs an additional circuit for sync signal. I tried a few times to sort myself with no success. Requires an additional chip linking into the existing board. I ended up buying modified board from Lockwhenlit.com

If I was to do again i would go for nucore/pinbox and a led screen.

Interesting since Lockwhenlit have nothing listed on their site - will have to give them a shout, or have a good google :)

I presume the replacement lcd is 4:3 as opposed to widescreen???

Under products - Pinball 2000 CGA/VGA Converter

I will check the screen details later

Ahh sorry Ian - i thought it was an add-on for the Ultimarc card... not a separate converter...

Thanks for your help :)

I use that ebay converter 2 comments above with a simple 74ls02 as an inverting sync combiner. Works fine. Then I strip out a 19" 4;3 sync master monitor which will fit within the curves of the head vacated by the CRT. To stop the monitor dropping through I a thin ply mask over the underside with suitable cutout for the visible part of screen. Screen powered with 120v jumped from the aux output from the computer psu.

http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...ars-lcd-fit-and-how-to-make-sync-adapter.7957

I did take a brief look, however to be honest was after others experience as well (a combination of knowledge).

The good news is that it sounds like i have access to a free 20" dell and a suitable free PC too, so it'll cost nothing and hopefully improve things on the machine itself.....

Now if someone could just increase the number of hours in a day to 28 so i can fit everything in, then i might have the time too....!!

Back
Top Bottom