What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin2dmd issue

Steve Arnold

Site Supporter
Hi all, so I fitted a pin2dmd to my GOT last night then realised there is no colour files for it at the moment. The display seemed to be ok as the pin must put out some colours but after a couple of minutes the display goes back to start up screen as no SIM card is present. The display has been registered by previous owner.
Are there any files In need on the sd card just so I can use it in this pin and it not go back to start up?
Here ste some pics to show you what I get when it goes back to start. Any help appreciated as spent 2 hours installing it!!!

Attachments

• 91B7482E-09C8-4DCC-8082-AF0EF440E18A.jpeg
    91B7482E-09C8-4DCC-8082-AF0EF440E18A.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3596.MOV
    27.5 MB
  • IMG_3595.MOV
    18.8 MB
To be fair making colour files for this would be a huge endeavour due to the out of FMV in this game.

Honestly I would just buy a ColorDMD instead.

SD card is required as you need the license file present for real pins.

See activation:

The activiation was already done for MadNats units, also you wouldn't get beyond the pin2dmd logo if the license wasn't present. Never tried one without the particular game files so not sure how it would behave.

The activiation was already done for MadNats units, also you wouldn't get beyond the pin2dmd logo if the license wasn't present. Never tried one without the particular game files so not sure how it would behave.
I mean on his video it says not activated?

Screenshot_20221017-092337.png

If it was supplied by one of the group buys it would have been activated.

Someone would have had to reflash the unit to erase the activation - it’s stored on chip, doesn’t need an SD card

Go through the config menu to display the activation code and happy to send you the unlock key if it’s on my list.

I just watched the video and can see the activation code… it doesn’t look like the series I was given for the group buys - but will double check when I get home this evening.

Another indicator is all boards provided through the group buys had a label on them with either a serial number or activation code. Does this board have a label on it?

Pin2DMD's work for a few minutes without activation.

Put this in another game, or sell it - still worth £160 - 180 unactivated.

There is no quick way of doing a colour file for this. It takes many many hours.

You can activate a PIN2DMD without an SD card. The EVO series keeps the file key on its own chips, but to do any colourisation you need an SD card.

I just watched the video and can see the activation code… it doesn’t look like the series I was given for the group buys - but will double check when I get home this evening.

Another indicator is all boards provided through the group buys had a label on them with either a serial number or activation code. Does this board have a label on it?
I sold it to Steve unused it came via Darren @replicas also unused from the group buy so it should be on your list Mike.

I sold it to Steve unused it came via Darren @replicas also unused from the group buy so it should be on your list Mike.

Yes I do have that key - someone technical must have reflashed that particular board 🤔🤓🧐😀

If the current owner would like to DM me their email address I'll send it over. When you get the key file, put it into the main (root) directory of a SD card and pop into the PIN2DMD, and it should activate and reset.

Cheers
Mike

Hoping someone can help. I bought the TAF colorisation files 3 years ago from Martin Knoppfe and finally got around to installing the pin2dmd colour display in TAF today. The problem is the colours are coming out all wrong and I am wondering if the files I got are corrupt. I cant get hold of martin so was wondering if someone would be kind enough to send me a copy(remeber I have already paid martin for it) so I can test and see what the issue is ?

TIA

Cheers

kev

Can you be more specific? Sometimes the colours appear wrong because you have to change the palate order in the pin2dmd settings.

I have contact with Martin so I'll link him to this thread.

Can you be more specific? Sometimes the colours appear wrong because you have to change the palate order in the pin2dmd settings.

I have contact with Martin so I'll link him to this thread.
Thanks for your help here bud . I have a couple of pics they are not brill tho!! - and they just look wrong when compared to martins screenshots. I have installed 2 other pin2dmds with no issue but this just doesnt seem right somehow - everything seems to be very purpleish

IMG_3543.JPGIMG_3544.JPGIMG_3545.JPGIMG_3546.JPG

That might be a pallete issue. Go into the pin2dmd config menu and find the pallete option. Not sure what button it is but one of them will cycle between the palletes, you'll see the coloured squares under the logo change, then save the settings and see how it looks before trying the next pallete option.
Maybe take a pic of the first one so you can go back to how it was if it does turn out the SDcard is corrupt and it isn't the pallete.

I had to change mine on Road show and it was similar to yours at first. It was coloured but the wrong colours.

That might be a pallete issue. Go into the pin2dmd config menu and find the pallete option. Not sure what button it is but one of them will cycle between the palletes, you'll see the coloured squares under the logo change, then save the settings and see how it looks before trying the next pallete option.
Maybe take a pic of the first one so you can go back to how it was if it does turn out the SDcard is corrupt and it isn't the pallete.

I had to change mine on Road show and it was similar to yours at first. It was coloured but the wrong colours.
yeah thats what it looks like when you compare with the screenshots I just sent I will give it a go and report back.

Cheers

kev

Yeah cycle through the pallete options and see what changes. If it is that, (which it looks like it is) you'll just have to find the right option through trial and error unless someone else has one and can show you which it is.

The colours for the logo shown on your display should match the colours of the logo on the website… PIN2DMD.com

ok so i think I have managed to get in to the menus but how do you change the palettes when i press the button i just cycles between red blue green and purple ????

Attachments

• IMG_3559[1].JPG
    IMG_3559[1].JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 2
It’s not palette (frustrating when people make stuff up) - the setting you want to change is rgb sequence

Helpful vid here

Sorry, that's what I meant, the order of the colours.
Just forgot the word as it's been two years since I did it.

@newdos Please let me know your display UID. There is already a big update available for TAF(G). Meanwhile the colorization gets bound to the display and this includes all possible future updates and personal support. Please email me at dr.dotwork (AT)gmail.com to provide your UID. You need to be on the latest firmware BTW.

Best regards
Martin

Last edited:
@newdos Please let me know your display UID. There is already a big update available for TAF(G). Meanwhile the colorization gets bound to the display and this includes all possible future updates and personal support. Please email me at dr.dotwork (AT)gmail.com to provide your UID. You need to be on the latest firmware BTW.

Best regards
Martin
once i get it working today Martin I will send you the UID. Thanks for reaching out.

Cheers

Kev

Thanks for that bud will sort it tomorrow and report back
Morning!! ok got RGB sequence set correctly now and its a load better but some colours still dont look right so not sure if theres anything else I can do ?? Heres a couple of screenshots that again dont seem to match the colours from martins video of a demo of TAF pin2dmd. sorry for crap pics glare was terrible and one handed whilst trying to play it!!

edit copy in @-NetzZwerg-

IMG_3561[1].JPG

EDIT this is what the grave shot should look like
IMG_3563[1].JPG

IMG_3562[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3561[1].JPG
    IMG_3561[1].JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Update the display firmware and get the new file from Martin then see how it is.

The colours might be different because Martin changed it in a new version

the demo from Martin is 2 years ago so i guessed it should match as his new release is very new i believe. i will update firmware first see what happens and then get files fro Martin.

Cheers

kev

@-NetzZwerg-

ok so Martin has been brilliant on this and sent me all the new stuff for my display from the UID. I have installed latest firmware 4.50 and got correct RGB sequence loaded, and still some colours dont look right even though a lot has improved! I still dont get the grave value sequence to look like the one above in green and red. Anyone any idea - could it be the display. I do have another brand new I could try but would be gutted if this new one I have just put in is foobar!!

any advice appreciated

Chers

kev

@-NetzZwerg-

You should have 2 files on your SD card Kev. fsq and pal - I assume they are both there and with the correct name (pin2dmd)... so pin2dmd.fsq and pin2dmd.pal - they most likely are, otherwise you'd see quite a few problems not just a couple. Let's see what advice Martin has.

Back
Top Bottom