What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Pin2DMD colourization files for Scared Stiff

Andy B

Site Supporter
Installing a Pim2DMD in to a Scared Stiff. VP Universe site is unavailable so unable to buy the colourization files from there. Anyone got a link to an alternative source please?

I'm not after a free file from anyone - just a link to a source - I would prefer to pay since as someone has given the time and effort to create the files and I hate freeloading!

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hmmm, that site is a useful list of games with contact to the author - hazurdous?
The guy who runs the site is @Audiofreak on here.

Never really understood why people buy pin2dmd over Colordmd. Is it significantly cheaper? Are the the animations better in terms of colourisation? I’ve never really liked the Color dmd ones for SS,TAF or LOTR.

Not knocking pin2dmd just interested.

I never bought it mate and it's not my SS - just on loan - so can't comment.

I did have a Colordmd in a DE Star Wars and I was really happy with that. Although I haven't plugged it in to SS yet, as I haven't got the colourization files, I would say the default colours on this Pin2DMD do appear brighter and crisper (from memory!) than the ones in the ColorDMD.

And I think this one was bought during last group buy and so ended up being a couple of hundred quid less than my ColorDMD which i think I paid over £300 for at the time.

And my final comment (though I realized I said I couldn't comment :)) is, this one has come with firmware update and activated (which I believe costs a little extra) and don't know, if it was mine, I could have been ar$ed to do that - from memory the DESW one was just a plug and play straight replacement BUT then I also remember I had a whole load of trouble with the power supply to the ColorDMD (I had a PInsound board installed also and I think they wouldn't play nice with each other!) and ended up having to upgrade the power supply board in that machine to make the display and soundboard work properly. I'm not sure if I would have similar power supply issues with this Pin2DMD one - maybe others can comment - but to be on safe side I've just bought a separate PSU for it (based on my ColorDMD experience).

Never really understood why people buy pin2dmd over Colordmd. Is it significantly cheaper? Are the the animations better in terms of colourisation? I’ve never really liked the Color dmd ones for SS,TAF or LOTR.

I'd rather build one for £80 than spunk £300+ on the colordmd.

The pin2dmd is in my mind a great display. It is not perfect, but as its less than half the price of a colordmd its not half the quality.

Also if you do not want to buy a pin2dmd you can build one yourself for under £100.

The latest firmware (3.11) makes colourising on real pins run smoother as well. They are impoving it all the time. In fact I prefer the Pin2dmd version of AFM to the colordmd one. It is all personal opinion I know.

On power supply - the pin2dmd and colordmd (LED) require the same amount of power as they use the SAME PANELS. I have not had to run a PSU into any real pin I have fitted one. Can fit one in minutes.

Also the files are not free for SS (or most other pins) - I have a lot of them that I have paid for and you can not publicaly share them out of 'respect ot the authors'. Strange thing is they give the Visual Pinball files away for free - work that out!? As a plus to colordmd you can download what you want for free (as they make the money on the display see next point)......

Colordmds are HIGHLY EXPENSIVE and someone is making SHED LOADS off them - its a cheap LCD screen or £50 worth of RGB panels - with some custom brackets and one small PCB that must get made for £30 in china. All colordmd colourisation is outsourced and these guys get the odd 'free display' for doing the projects.

For a SHORT time a colordmd-pin2dmd file conversion was around on one of the sites but got pulled down in hours. I would love to get hold of that.

It is an old debate this - but colordmd is easier in some respects, but with the new pin2dmd evo boards - it is not rocket science.

For a SHORT time a colordmd-pin2dmd file conversion was around on one of the sites but got pulled down in hours. I would love to get hold of that

Any more details? Site it was uploaded to etc?

Color dmd 400£
Pin2dmd 80-150£

Any more details? Site it was uploaded to etc?
From memory - www.vpuniverse.com but I can not swear 100%

I do not even know what this tool was called. Have tried looking on other forums but can not find any info.

What you have to remember with the visual pinball crowd (yes I am into VP but not in with the in crowd) - they have things going between maybe 20 people that never get released.

Reactions: Arv
Kicking myself that i sold my Pin2DMD when i got a colorDMD for Safecracker. Now wanting a Pin2dmd again!!

Anyone know if you need any files at all on the micro SD card in the Pin2DMD in order for it to work with a real pinball?

I can't get the colourization files at the minute but thought it would have worked without those files, just not in full colour?

Only file that is on the SD card is a pin2dmd.dat file of 1kb.

Mine works without the SD inserted so should be ok you can configure it using the onboard menu. On YouTube there is a vid of SS with pin2dmd using just red / green which looks pretty good.

To be fair to ColourDMD they do have to pay someone to do all the colour animation work and it is done to a high standard. Pin2dmd relies on the community to do that work effectively for free, but small donations are expected. Some of the pin2dmd colour files are amazing and are as good if not better than ColourDMD, IJ, Tom, Totan. Others are at various stages of work in progress and are not as good or as polished as ColourDMD.

Mine works without the SD inserted so should be ok you can configure it using the onboard menu. On YouTube there is a vid of SS with pin2dmd using just red / green which looks pretty good.

Thanks.

Nothing's happening when I hook up data cable. It's coming up with Pin2DMD on display, coloured blocks and Bally/Williams in red at the bottom but when I hook up data cable from machine it does not change.

Had it confirmed that it was bought on latest group buy so should be activated.

It's like there's no data getting through (checked that connector was orientated correctly too with Pin1 of cable connector to Pin1 on board connector).

Sorry dunno, the obvious thing is checking the device mode using the menu but that sounds correct. There aren't too many options to play with, see https://pin2dmd.com/ point 3.

Since 3.06 firmware the mode selection should be automatic. My guess is that it’s a data cable issue. Failing that - could be a power problem - make sure you’re using 12v input and not 5v input.

Make sure it is activated. If it’s not you should see a message under the PIN2DMD logo saying NOT ACTIVATED and the Serial number.

I do have the following if anyone wants one:
1 x Standard 128X32
1 x skinny 128x16
1 x XL 192x64

I also have 50pcs of 128x32 (Standard) populated EVO boards being built if anyone is interested. Probably available in 4 weeks.

Cheers

Mike

Since 3.06 firmware the mode selection should be automatic. My guess is that it’s a data cable issue. Failing that - could be a power problem - make sure you’re using 12v input and not 5v input.

Make sure it is activated. If it’s not you should see a message under the PIN2DMD logo saying NOT ACTIVATED and the Serial number.

I do have the following if anyone wants one:
1 x Standard 128X32
1 x skinny 128x16
1 x XL 192x64

I also have 50pcs of 128x32 (Standard) populated EVO boards being built if anyone is interested. Probably available in 4 weeks.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, there's no "NOT ACTIVATED" message and owner has confirmed that it was bought in the latest group buy so activated as part of the deal I believe. It's coming up with Bally/Williams on the display. See photo. Does it need some kind of game specific file on the SD Card? Earlier posts suggest not.

If the 128X32 will work in an Elvis I will probably have one off you - I'm liking the look of this one in the SS even if it doesn't work yet!

D57F82C7-9474-4EA2-ADE9-7D51B990BD2F.jpeg

Thanks.

On the power side of things I installed a dedicated ATX PSU so I could run it off 12v.

Data cable was working fine on old display (but that was badly gassed out),.

Looks like it’s not receiving data unfortunately. When you turn it on - it will briefly show the version number. Can you confirm which one it’s running?

Also try running without the SD card installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does briefly show version number (3.05 I believe though I'm not with machine now).

Did try it without SD.

Back
Top Bottom