What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Phantom of the Opera

replicas

Site Supporter
Alias
Nipper Pinball
Well it starts.
Finally got around to digging it out from the back of the games room. This is the first time I have looked at it, I never got around to looking at it when I bought it , I just packed it away at the rear of the games room.
If I remember correctly I was under the impression that I would be better than I first thought. Its got patches of wear here and there and the entrance to the ramp is bust. (Can make this better myself or buy a new one, but that's $80 plus shipping + import duty so I don't think that will be happening). Entrance to the organ has lost its flap, entrance to mirror has wear and the subway under the mirror has a hole that's been badly repaired stopping any light flashing when the shot is made. Its chuffin filthy and needs a lot of tlc.
Other than that its got more going for it than against. So it starts, the shop that I don't have time to do is going ahead, bear with me its going to be a slow long drawn out shop but it will get done if not slowly.
Well here is what I am starting with. For you Dan Pictures. And doesn't that girl on the playfield look amazing !
View attachment 1471View attachment 1472View attachment 1473POTO 004.jpgPOTO 005.jpgPOTO 006.jpgPOTO 007.jpg

Not quite sure how far I am going to go with this, thinking of getting the lockdown bar and the side rails power coated as they are full of rust in places. Also most of the parts are not available to buy so I may have to rely on a broken machine for some of the parts.
Its going to take a while but its just a really good looker of a machine.

Have you had any luck finding plastics yet?

The only plastics I need are for the slings and no not found any as yet.
I could get a complete set but at $132 +ship and duty is a bit much, But as I don't know how far I may take it then it could be an option to buy a full set. Will have to wait and see how things turn out.

Good luck with this, will be good to see the end result. I have high expectations after seeing your Whitewater !

this is gonna be great, looking forward to some good stuff Dazza

thanks for thinking of me when you saw the playfield girl's right nipple, i agree that it is appealing. Her left one is nowhere near as enticing, and her face is pretty council estate to be honest. what she needs is a good natured bloke with half his face eaten off by acid to give her a good rogering

She's probably one of those lasses with an inverted nipple. You can tell she's not proud of it with the sad way she's looking down at it.

Quick update on this.
Rails and lockdown bar being power coated, nothing else has moved because I have been waiting to secure a rare , no very rare find.
I have manage to source a fully populated playfield and like new back glass. The plafield is in way better condition than the one in the machine and the best thing is its fully pop. So plenty of spares for the future and everything seems to be there , no broken ramps and nearly no wear at all.
So lucky to find this.
Pic's when I get a hold of it.

Right the side rails and lock down bar are away being power coated and I picked up the other populated playfield that will be taking place of the one thats in.
I did a deal with a guy on a "mint playfield " his words not mine so I am hoping for a nice playfield.

Phantom 002.jpg
Dug it out and cut the film back to see well I was a little upset as I was expecting more than what I saw.
Ah well.
My playfield has wear and this one is a lot better but what my playfield does not have and this one does have is raised inserts and on a fullt mylared p/f it looks pretty crap.

Phantom 004.jpg Phantom 006.jpg

Hopefully the pictures show the lifted mylar around the raised inserts.

This was enough to make up my mind that the original p/f would be staying withe the machine for the rest of the project.
So Playfield was already out of the machine and I started to tear it down for cleaning. There is loads missing on the original and it will be replaced with the now doner Playfield. Going to need one or two bits but most is there. Bought a new main Ramp from the States which cost an extra £37 once HMRC had there slice along with Parcelforce. But it looks way better than the smashed up thing that was on the machine to start with.

Points to note, Make sure you have a nice clean and free from clutter area to work in. Saying this because while both Playfields were side by side I am reaching over to pick up a rag I knocked over a can of spray paint which fell onto the sharp side of a trowel which cause the can to punchture thus discharging paint over everywhere. I had to grab the can and get it away from the playfields while I had to hold it down away from anything while it fully discharged.

My nice newish trainers got the worst of it as my jeans only got a light spraying.

Phantom 014.jpg

Bugger ! Said a lot worse while it was happening.

Now when I calmed down and realised how lucky I was not to get any over the playfields I got on with the cleaning.
The subway ramps were badly damaged and the op repair was stopping the flashers from being seen as well as the things being so dirty as well.

Phantom 020.jpg Phantom 019.jpg

Cleaning these made such a differance, before you could not even see that they were red.
Phantom 021.jpg
It just shows that without cleaning the dirt you can't see get picked up and transfered around your freshly cleaned playfield.

Phantom 022.jpg

Other than cleaning its just been a matter of take the best off one and make a good one from the two.
Also while taking off everything I was surprised to see lots of beautiful artwork that you don't even see when the machine is all put back together. Its such a shame as it is a waste to have it hidden by ramps and other plastics. It just goes to show that most games have hidden secerts.

Some of the hidden artwork.

Phantom 007.jpg Phantom 008.jpg

Phantom 009.jpg
Sorry for the breaks in the post it keeps cutting me out so I have to start another post.

Gutted for you about the 2nd pf but the artwork on this game is amazing :) Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Proper filthy. Will be so satisfying to get something in that state cleaned up and working again though. Good luck, and keep the updates coming

Very annoying about the PF but you will make it all good. Very off about the extra art that is hidden, I guess PF design came way before final ramp location so by that time the art is committed and then covered.

Nice pics, that playfield art is great to see. You've now also got a unique, one of a kind pair of Reeboks ! ;) Imagine that scenario in an accidental damage insurance claim.... Glad to hear important stuff missed the flying paint.

Keep the pics coming, good to see this unusual one coming along.

Real shame about the second PF - I'd have been raging - It's no-where near "mint"!!!! :( :mad:

Real shame about the second PF - I'd have been raging - It's no-where near "mint"!!!! :( :mad:

Why do so many people selling stuff lie about condition? Doesn't make sense and you end up with an unhappy buyer.

I would have beaten the prick round the head with it.

Why do so many people selling stuff lie about condition? Doesn't make sense and you end up with an unhappy buyer.

I would have beaten the prick round the head with it.

Got to agree with this.

Its a lovely machine though. I had never heard of it before reading this thread.

Back
Top Bottom