What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perished rubber rings

newdos

Site Supporter
10 Years
Alias
Newdos
Hi Gang,

Just moved my pins form in house storage and into the pinshack(for more storage until finished) I have noticed that a brand new unused set of of rubbers have perished whilst in storage and as this is on the demo man a bit of a pain to change them again. I think they were from either the legend or PH. I just wondered if anyone else has had this happen - ? poor quality rubber ?

Cheers

kev

Generally, yes, a lot of the replacements I've seen don't seem as sturdy as the older supplies, but they also seem to be uncoated. Perishing rubber is due to light and air, and air is the one that works the fastest, and is also the easiest to keep out with a suitable product. I'm not surprised they're breaking down quickly if not coated - more likely for the white ones.

I heartily recommend this product: https://www.autoglym.com/vinyl-rubber-care - the bottle lasts forever and I've found it perfect for pinball rubber, amongst other things - it made some extremely flimsy, easily rubbed off paint on a cheap inflatable boat completely bulletproof. It's also pretty darn pleasant as far as treatment products go, which doesn't sound important until you have to deal with your head over a table in which you're spraying on a lot of liquid.

I got a few Silicone white rings (BEE supposedly) included in a recent order from Holland. They defo seem shinier, whiter and more flexible than rubber. I think I'll go BEE Silicone white or more likely transparent on the next kit I buy.

http://www.bee-light.nl/products/bee-bands

www.bee_light.nl_images_bee_light_bee_bands_Bee_Bands_Silicone_Rings.jpg

I got a few Silicone white rings (BEE supposedly) included in a recent order from Holland. They defo seem shinier, whiter and more flexible than rubber. I think I'll go BEE Silicone white or more likely transparent on the next kit I buy.

http://www.bee-light.nl/products/bee-bands
Silicone is nigh-on bulletproof as a choice here, but if you're a stickler for original parameters, silicone rings will respond a little differently than latex rubber. It's not as obvious as it is on flipper rubber, but it's there. Though I wouldn't even worry about those differences except on games where you get nice and friendly with outlane posts in order to survive e.g. Centaur.

It's not as obvious as it is on flipper rubber
To clarify these are playfield rings not flipper rubbers but I agree they are "stickier" the same as the flipper ones.

To clarify these are playfield rings not flipper rubbers but I agree they are "stickier" the same as the flipper ones.
Yeah, 99% of the time they will be just fine but I would keep an eye on them with outlanes or any star posts that require a specific bounce to do their function right.

silicone playfield rubbers it is in future - full set knackered and not even touched a ball !!! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom