What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PCN Parking charge!

ronnie63

Site Supporter
At the end of may we over stayed a 2 hour free car park in a shopping center, there is no option to pay for extra time, so it's £100 charge but if you pay within a time limit it's 60! Well the first we heard was a letter saying we never paid on time so it was £100! We never received a notice saying we had a pcn and the option to pay £60, I decided to ignore it, a further 2 letters sent now wanting £170! lol.

This happened a couple of years ago in another car park again chose to ignore and they gave up.

Getting threatened with CCJ's court etc, the company is Debt Recovery Plus, I think I will take my chances in court, these people are total ****s, £170 for a free car park, WTF.

Anyone had same?

Cheers Ronnie

I get that people are hacked off, however some of the feedback!!! :eek::eek:

Probably the worst experience customer service experience possible

Use a free car park when I attend the gym, was sent a letter stating I had breached parking notice. Appealed and received email saying they would come back to me 35 days. 12 days later received a letter from debt recovery plus, spent 36 minutes waiting to speak to someone before I was chastised by a woman for 5 minutes, told me they were going to issue a CCJ and I had to attend. When I tried to explain the car park was free in the first place, she told me she didn’t care and I had to pay.

Probably the worst customer service experience I’ve ever encountered. Considering the current economic crisis and the recent death of her majesty, this woman had no tact, no manners and no morals.

FCA or someone needs to close these clowns down.

In any event, how is it proportional to fine someone £170 for a car park ticket ?

What is going on ? Awful experience - don’t bother contacting them.

Last edited:
I would pay it and end it. I used to watch a lot of Can't Pay We'll Take it Away and this will just escalate into thousands. Not worth the worry.

I argued a PCN because the address where they say I parked had a postcode for somewhere else. It was escalated to a solicitor which was clearly another desk in their office. I argued the details and they eventually conceded.

Find out who owns the land, explain the situation and ask them to drop it. They will sublet the management to another company but there is no cost to recover if the owners don’t agree to a loss.
We had a CCJ issued, did the above and Parkingeye had to drop it.

ParkingEye are pretty reasonable. I've had a few of those (usually Aldi) and sorted them out without paying anything. The problem you've got now is that you've ignored letters and the cost will keep increasing. Exponentially so when people physically come to your door.

We had a court date from ParkingEye, we had ignored all the letters until the CCJ

I would pay it and end it. I used to watch a lot of Can't Pay We'll Take it Away and this will just escalate into thousands. Not worth the worry.

That's what they hope for and why they send threatning letters! The law may not be the same here in Scotland? As I said earlier we ignored a similar one, they made all kinds of threats but gave up in the end

I believe in Scotland the law is different. Many sites state don’t pay and they will eventually stop, it’s not worth there time or money unless you are regaulr offender and the amount is high. Had many friend get tickets in Aldi , etc, they don’t pay and nothin has ever come of it, but again they can go down the legal route if they decide to, many don’t.

Last edited:
Annoying as it is I’d just pay the bloody thing. If they can prove you overstayed then you don’t really have any chance of appeal.
I stupidly parked one bay over in residents parking. Got hit by two fines but ultimately only have myself to blame. £120 fine on top of the £600 a year permit 🤬

That's what they hope for and why they send threatning letters! The law may not be the same here in Scotland? As I said earlier we ignored a similar one, they made all kinds of threats but gave up in the end
I don't know what the law in Scotland is but these companies do this day in day out. It's literally what they get paid to do. They will persue legal action against a certain percentage of those people they send letters to. The ones where they can't lose. The ones who ignored letters and didn't mitigate costs incurred.

Honestly just pay it. It's not worth the stress of not knowing.

Glasgow City Council caught me going through the Buchanan Galleries bus lane area.
“Known as the venue fly trap”
I immediately started a dispute when I received the letter saying the road layout was confusing and signage not appropriate.
Also once you realise your mistake, you cannot get out of the penalty area.
I used a recent google earth to acquire all my evidence.
Once a dispute commences they are not allowed to keep putting the price up.
which is what they did. I tried to reason with the robotic staff but they dig in and don’t see logic or reason.
I would have let it go and paid up if dispute did not rule in my favour. However since they tried to rob me additional I let it go to court…
I ended up paying the initial low amount.
Glasgow City Council got a roasting for wasting time, money and resources.

Last edited:
The English legal system is absolutely useless when it comes to parking. All those fine principles you learn about and expect to be relevant are out of the window.

Just pay it. I have been there. I have the T shirt. It is unfair. The deck is stacked against you.

If you ever lose it and go pump action shotgun, you know where to have your last stand

Thanks guys, this goes to show the majority of you would just pay it (easy money for them) and why it's worth while for them to keep pumping out letters!

I have let it go this far so if it comes to it I will have my day in court! Or pay the £235 when I get summoned to court if it goes that far..... I will update the progress, I have 7 days to pay the ransome from Thursday

Cheers Ronnie

Thanks guys, this goes to show the majority of you would just pay it (easy money for them) and why it's worth while for them to keep pumping out letters!

I have let it go this far so if it comes to it I will have my day in court! Or pay the £235 when I get summoned to court if it goes that far..... I will update the progress, I have 7 days to pay the ransome from Thursday

Cheers Ronnie
Problem is, if you lose you've got a CCJ against you. And you may also have to pay costs incurred. But I can see you're a gambling man. Keep us posted.

Too late for me lol
No funny though, fines like this are a bloody joke😡
I set my dog on a bailiff years ago when they put their foot in my front door over poll tax at another address that I had tenants in, the police came😂
I phoned my bro to bring some cash as they were eyeing up my new Phillips 32” crt wide screen but that was about 1999😂

If anyone wants a read of the ransome notes, this is the 4th letter should be 5th as 1st was not received7C86CE5C-0CD9-4A67-A2E5-E9A48CA7D744.jpeg6A12D42A-46B6-444A-A8FB-A9B2BCCFC5B1.jpeg

At the end of may we over stayed a 2 hour free car park in a shopping center, there is no option to pay for extra time, so it's £100 charge but if you pay within a time limit it's 60! Well the first we heard was a letter saying we never paid on time so it was £100! We never received a notice saying we had a pcn and the option to pay £60, I decided to ignore it, a further 2 letters sent now wanting £170! lol.

This happened a couple of years ago in another car park again chose to ignore and they gave up.

Getting threatened with CCJ's court etc, the company is Debt Recovery Plus, I think I will take my chances in court, these people are total ****s, £170 for a free car park, WTF.

Anyone had same?

Cheers Ronnie
Ronnie as far as im aware in Scotland private land car park charges are non enforceable as they are not penalty's such as a parking ticket issues by a traffic warden.
If you pay this you will be issued a receipt by the company that runs the car park for the shopping center. It a taxable business.
I was issued one a few years back at braehead shopping center ignored never heard from since.
Was also issued one from when I was in Holland (with my own vehicle) and it was the same company that issued the one at braehead (based in England) sending fines and again I ignored and have heard nothing. Obvioulsy things could have changed but I doubt it.

In the past I have not bothered paying similar and after about a year they just give up and go away.

It is more efficient for them to chase people with threatening letters than to go to court. Its a volume business. This company turns over £10M a year and has 68 staff so that works out at about £150k per staff member. Assuming they keep the extra £70 they have added to your bill For themselves that works out at 2,000 paid charges per staff member per year. You couldn't do that volume by taking people to court. They are relying in people just paying up on the back of threatening letters.

I'd write then a really really long letter full of sh1T like the one they have sent to you and reference a load of websites and urls that they will have to type in to look at, they'll not be bothered and just give up.

Back
Top Bottom