What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Party zone project

deathrow

Registered
Here my newest pin to the collection.

Another shed find in non working condition.
Lovely!

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2461_zps1dc63295.jpg

Lots of broken parts/plastics, missing coils, Grime, and mice have been inside chewing at thew wires :eek:

Mice have been up and down the PF and its black and sticky. Mmmmmm
(I did hoover the poo before taking the pics)

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2462_zpsae83de65.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2463_zps07330ec5.jpg

Looking at the pf under the grime though didn't look too bad? A gentle clean revealed good bright colours. I guess the mouse grime is UV resistant lol

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2467_zpsadaa8a82.jpg

Little buggers have eaten a couple of the yellow targets. One under the head is chewed back to the metal stud lol

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2465_zps39acf946.jpg

Well the best part of the backbox is the outside:

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2471_zpsa5e32cf8.jpg

Because inside theres been some 90's rave going on...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2469_zpsfd678899.jpg

Last edited:
How the hell do you come across machines like this?

I love that machine - really looking forward to see your progress with it.

How the hell do you come across machines like this?

I love that machine - really looking forward to see your progress with it.

Erm, Luck? or bad luck depends on what way you look at it lol.
Being pretty skint often guides my purchases too :thumbs:

I guess the total lack of Pins in this neck of the woods limits my chances of coming across any project machines like this.

Good luck with it - I look forward to seeing another Party Zone restored to it's working state.

Oh, and can I call dibs on it for when it's fixed and you do decide to move it on please? ;-)

Dude there's always PZs up for sale, Andy H is always selling his one. It's a fun game and a Dennis Nordman one which is always a bonus.

He was the guest at UKPP a couple of years back and was good value. Told his tales of BW1000 and PZ and WH2O and the rest. Very modest and talented. Now working with the Heighwayman which can only be good.

Haha, that's as maybe Dan - but by the time deathrow has this one all sorted I might finally be in a position to buy.

I played one at last years Play Expo and absolutely loved it. I've seen a few come up since then and they're not especially expensive; it's more the lack of space right now which is the deal breaker, hence why i'm focussing on making R&B as nice as I can. We're starting to save for a deposit on a new place soon so hopefully once we get moved I can look at grabbing one (or two) more.

;-)

Who knows what position i'll be in when you get to the point where you want to move it on.

Let's see how it goes - someone told me when I joined this forum that one Pin is never enough - and they weren't bloody kidding.

Had a little time free whilst I am waiting for a CPU chip for the hook so had a poke around.

Acid damage to the board...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2472_zps3469fabf.jpg

In close up..

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2474_zps4e0530e5.jpg

This appears to have had a clean down after the removal of the batteries but no vinegar wash so the corrosion has continued.
They have just spread it everywhere. The back shows the start of some questionable hacking...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2475_zps85d9037c.jpg

I'm all for saving some money so gave it a quick vinegar wash (50/50) so I could uncover some tracks. Needless to say this board is dead. The micro thin tracks are wrecked. There are hundreds of them and they wouldn't tin up to any reliable standard.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2477_zps54287ab8.jpg

Looking on ebay I have found some blanks to repair the board but at £60 for the blank inc shipping I think I am going to try and find a working S/H board first, or maybe one with less acid damage to repair.

Best thing for that baby is the bin.
Don't think I've seen a board so ravaged with acid damage.

Ouch! £50 plus £11.25 postage from Oz. It'll cost you that again in parts to populate it! But interesting that folks manage to find stuff like NOS bare boards because I can't imagine they were ever officially sold as spares? Mr Pinball Australia has some interesting (and expensive) stuff in his shop!

If it was £30 I would have bought one already. It does seem very expensive for what it is.
I quite fancy building the board up but it has to be economically viable.

Wonder if any other companies have these blanks?

Shame you can't pop it in a flat-bed scanner and send the scans to China. They'd bang you out a one-off prototype for a tenner!

How much is the shipping internally in Aus?? I have a couple of contacts out there....

The international postage was only approximately £11 which only accounted for about 20% of the purchase price of the board (about £50). I realise these things are probably rarer than unicorn poo but even if you got it posted to a mate in Oz it's still £50 plus a bit. Seems like way too much to me for a old PCB. I'd rather take @deathrow's old one, strip it, scan it and re-CAD it to create Gerber files and then have a brand spanky new one made!

If you do that you might as well make a few and sell them.
Doing that sort of thing had crossed my mind ;) My friend has had excellent results making PCBs on his CNC machine. Doing a remake of things like the old Bally rectifier boards seemed a very doable project (and something I need myself and can therefore test).

Missing coils sorted and I have sourced a replacement used mpu through pinball heaven. Think it will need some work but is pretty clean.

The original mpu was so eaten its just for component spares now

Back
Top Bottom