What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! P-ROC board - preferably with WPC mounting

Mfresh

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul
Time to start mucking about with pinball machine rules, so anyone got a P-ROC board for sale before I source one from the US?

I figure the Mission Pinball Framework (MPC) might be worth exploring, but anyone with any experience got any alternative recommendations?

Thanks!

Everyone i spoke to at Pinfest was using MPC - which is about as good a recommendation as you can get I reckon. From the small amount of playing around I've done it looks great, especially if you need to get a bit dirty on the coding side of things.

Interestingly, the dutch guys have moved away from using P-ROC and back to using FAST - for reasons that are probably more obvious to homebrewers at their level of expertise (something about it being more modular).

@Sven Normansson is the guy to speak to round dees parts!

given my time again I'd go for FAST. much better architecture and modules. Mission Pinball Framework (MPF) works with lots of platforms. If youre just modding use a proc and wpc kit.

I know PROC will run the original roms no problem (via files of course) using VPinMame - I was told by @myPinballs that you couldnt modify them without re-coding the whole game.

Out of interest - what game are you looking at doing ?

Why would you want to run original ROMs? Defeats the purpose of modding. Take the vpinmame statement with a pinch of salt. Not sure it works fully with MPF.

Why would you want to run original ROMs? Defeats the purpose of modding. Take the vpinmame statement with a pinch of salt. Not sure it works fully with MPF.

Phil I am sure you do not need explaining what 'modding' is. Digging into the original WMS code and changing little things is not that easy. If you want to write a brand new version then its a fresh rewrite.

Plus I did not make any statement about MPF running Vpinmame.

Snux has done this with F14 - he has used Mission on this.

On switching the game on it gives a choice of the 'remake' or 'original'. He lives in the UK. May be worth having a chat with him. All of his code is also online for you to look at on how he does stuff. It is a great reference and he is willing to share. Having looked over his code

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 22.14.46.png

I looked at Skeleton Game and PyProcGameHD (used in TNA) and thought it was good; but that was a while ago. Personally I'd love for their to be a C / C++ toolchain like the Stern guys have.

So you want to write your own code and still be able to run the originals (like BOP2.0). Confusing because you mentioned MPF (which does, kinda but for creating your game in a virtual environment). I am aware of snux and his snux board is supported in mpf. If you're confident to program your code in a more object orientated environment then go for it!

Time to start mucking about with pinball machine rules, so anyone got a P-ROC board for sale before I source one from the US?

I figure the Mission Pinball Framework (MPC) might be worth exploring, but anyone with any experience got any alternative recommendations?

Thanks!

Ok, i have a few p-roc boards spare that i can sell 1 to you if you like. I'll send you a pm. If you are serious about rewriting a game such as a wpc title like whitewater then clear your calendar for the next 5 years at least!! That's speaking from experience rewriting games since 2011 and all the shows i've done showing custom rewrite games. It really is a labour of love..

So rewriting games, you have a few choices and it all depends on how much actual python you want to write. I use pyprocgame which is the pre-runner to skeleton game. Both of these allow you to write whatever you like, but if you are not careful you'll run off into the weeds fairly quickly. Skeleton Game is what scott used for TNA and other stuff. MPF is better for starting out but you are more limited and its more geared to using their own prebuilt controls and methods. Great for the most, but when theirs a problem with something, you have to write from scratch anyway, so the other 2 may have been better all along if you get my drift.

On the subject of running original code on rewrite games, yes you can do it with proc and the answer here is pinmame, Basically if runs pinmame emulation when you select the 'original' option. This is what we all did back in the early days. As your rewrite gets better, original games become less important /wanted though.

If you want a help getting started i have most of my code for my rewrites (indiana jones (wms and stern), whirlwind and twister) available on my GitHub area GitHub.com/mypinballs Everything is published under the GLP v2 licence so you MUST publish your code if you use or reference anything i've created, so its still available.

I looked at Skeleton Game and PyProcGameHD (used in TNA) and thought it was good; but that was a while ago. Personally I'd love for their to be a C / C++ toolchain like the Stern guys have.

pinproc and libpinproc which underpins pyprocgame are written in C/C++ so if you want to write in that instead and ditch all the work we've all done in python you can... Clear you calendar though...

Do you know a bit of C++ Neil?

pinproc and libpinproc which underpins pyprocgame are written in C/C++ so if you want to write in that instead and ditch all the work we've all done in python you can... Clear you calendar though...

thanks I'll take a look at it.

Do you know a bit of C++ Neil?

yes, although most recent stuff I've been working on is mac/ios on ObjC

I wrote a load of networking code, network drivers (Ethernet cards etc) and SCSI drivers for BSD unix. Some in C some in C++ and some microcode still do some hacking of this stuff

Neil.

I wrote a load of networking code, network drivers (Ethernet cards etc) and SCSI drivers for BSD unix. Some in C some in C++ and some microcode still do some hacking of this stuff

We used BSD unix when I was studying at the ANU. Some of my late 90s web projects were probably getting served across your networking code. Flaming logos and all!

thanks I'll take a look at it.

My advice to you or anyone else looking to get started in the rewrite scene is embrace python and the vast resource of example code and tools available freely already.

And don’t expect it to be simple/easy/1 weekend to recreate. You won’t believe how quickly logic gets complicated or what can occur when a steel ball or multiple steel balls fly about with free reign on a playfield

Python is great - and the fact that you can use breakpointing, intellisense and variable watchers in editors like vscode makes life a million times easier when you're in the thick of it.

Back
Top Bottom