What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original Nintendo Space Firebird Cocktail Cabinet - Help/Advice Needed

marcoos_1

Registered
Alias
Mark McC
I'm wondering if anyone on here can help or point me in the right direction? I have an original Nintendo Space Firebird cocktail cab. I've owned it for probably 30yrs and its been stuffed in the back of my garage since I got it. Long story, but when I was a teenager I managed to buy it from the campsite we went to with our parents as kids. I remember spending hours on this machine with my brothers when we were there as kids, then finding it abandoned out the back of their gamesroom and driving it all the way up from Cornwall to Glasgow in the back of my pickup.

Anyway, having recently set up a decent gamesroom at home I'd like to get this old friend up and running - then get my brothers round for a few beers and give them a surprise.

Can anyone recommend someone that knows about these things? I powered it up this morning and the CRT does flash with some colour when powered on and off, and sometimes I get a small character dirplayed in red on the screen (maybe just a few dots). There is some humming/feedback coming through the speakers etc so its not completely dead.

I'm tempted to take it apart to check for loose connectors etc, but always worried I do more damage or blow myself up with deadly CRT voltage!

I guess I could join UKVAC to see what they think, but I'd rather start here. I have no idea what it is worth, or what it might cost to fix (or even if these can be repaired) - but it won't be to sell on anyway......its more of a sentimental thing. Its funny as when cleaning it today I can still remember some of the marks/dings etc on it from all those years ago. Pic attached.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Mark.

Attachments

• 20220116_103612.jpg
    20220116_103612.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 40
You want to speak to Alex (Nintento Arcade) as he's restored a few Nintendo cocktail cabs but I don't think he's on here, only on UKVAC. I think his forum name on there is chuckychucks but Ol @Alpha1 might be able to help put you in touch :thumbs:

Also worth checking out his Youtube channel (called Nintendo Arcade) as he's done videos on restoring these.

Sounds a great project with an ace story 😎

My Taito SI cocktail became poorly, Jim @myPinballs sorted out the board set for me, not missed a beat since. Maybe worth asking Jim?

Hope you get sorted 👍

Hi Mark, similar story to yours, used to play this in a local pub in the early 80's, bought one myself some 20 years ago! I have restored it twice in that time, It's a struggle to keep it running! Despite having many spare boardsets I ran out of workers so it's stored away again! You might get lucky removing the boards and re seating the all the chips that are in sockets and cleaning the pins if needed, these boards are known for poor sockets so check those too, also the power supplies are not great so worth checking the 5v minus 5v etc.

Hope you get it working it's a great game

Ronnie

I can take a look at the PCB set if you want it checking/repairing no problem. I own an original space firebird upright cabinet which was converted to dk during its life! Fixed a lot of Nintendo pcbs and many others
Thanks for the responses guys, brilliant as ever. I will have a check at the connectors etc, but I'm pretty tempted to just get the boards out and down to you Jim. Cant believe you have an original upright.....that should make diagnosing things a bit easier!!!

What bits would you advise that I send down for checking/inspection? Tempted to strip the whole thing down and get the cab painted etc.........so happy to send you anything you think is adviseable. Not sure if the CRT is worth sending - is there any way to test that? I have a spare from my RFM (dont know its condition as it came with the machine) or even if its any good for this machine if this one's past it.

M.

Some more pics......still time to change your mind Jim....😆

Attachments

• 20220116_163850.jpg
    20220116_163850.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220116_163359.jpg
    20220116_163359.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220116_163352.jpg
    20220116_163352.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220116_163344.jpg
    20220116_163344.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 23
You want to speak to Alex (Nintento Arcade) as he's restored a few Nintendo cocktail cabs but I don't think he's on here, only on UKVAC. I think his forum name on there is chuckychucks but Ol @Alpha1 might be able to help put you in touch :thumbs:

Also worth checking out his Youtube channel (called Nintendo Arcade) as he's done videos on restoring these.
Chuckychucks is on here (pinballinfo) but he is not the guy you are looking for

Some more pics......still time to change your mind Jim....😆

Ok so you need to send me the following pictured in the cabinet. There is a 2 stack pcb with wing nuts and a seperate sound board mounted to the back of the the monitor it looks like. I need these 3 pcbs and the cables/ribbons that interconnect them. The 2 stack should just come out on the metal carrier once the 2 wing nuts are removed.

20220116_163352.jpg

Ok, a quick update.........boards removed and posted down to Jim (along with power supply) for checking/repair.

What started out as a "I'm just going to remove the boards" turned into this..............(pics to follow)

It's a full powder coat and resto job now.......

Interesting to see the number of games on it going by the counter. Coin mech still functional and found a tray of old 10pieces!

Attachments

• 20220118_221225.jpg
    20220118_221225.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220118_221246.jpg
    20220118_221246.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220118_224213.jpg
    20220118_224213.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220118_225408.jpg
    20220118_225408.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 17
Nice one, that's what I did with mine second time round refurb, new glass, new edging and new foil decals for the control panels, I will find some pics and post em up

Just a few, the first pic does not show the new re chromed corner clips

Attachments

• DSC04722.JPG
    DSC04722.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC04696.JPG
    DSC04696.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC04682.JPG
    DSC04682.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC04701.JPG
    DSC04701.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 17
Nice one Ronnie......that looks great. You know that I'm just going to have to pick your brains now!

I've managed to get new table top graphics, but I will need to get the following:

- corner clips chromed (any ideas?)
- feet re-polished
- probably new foils or some way of re-doing the control panels (any ideas or recommendations?)
- all the legs and body powder coated. I've got a guy that I am taking the cab and legs too tomorrow.
- Boards are in the hands of the courier on their way to Jim. I hope my CRT is ok, but I have no clue how to test it. I'm going on the basis that Jim will test everything his end, so if it doesn't work when it comes back then I'm looking at the CRT!
- I will need new glass (any ideas?)
- new veneer for the edges (think I may have a supplier for that).

Great job you have done on that. Is it still out of action?

No worries Mark, happy to help if I can.

The glass I got done by a local glaziers tempered about £40

Corner clips chuckie egg on ukvac got me some done ( Alex nintendo arcade)

The feet I polished myself with cutting paste then laquered clear coat

Edging plenty iron on stuff from ebay

The foils a chap on dragons lair fans forum (Etienne in Holland) used to do them but gave up! I'm sure another guy took on the role? Worth the ask on DLF forum.

Anything else feel free mate

Ronnie

Restored one of these last year, for the edging there a guy in Germany that does an exact replica of what's already there wasn't too expensive either iirc and really good quality, the white felt edging 1mm I could only get in 10mm wide so had to trim it to 5mm using a little jig, Here his email info@webfiliate.de

Ok, a quick update.........boards removed and posted down to Jim (along with power supply) for checking/repair.

What started out as a "I'm just going to remove the boards" turned into this..............(pics to follow)
Boards have arrived here so I will let you know how I get on 👍🏻

Cheers Jim, thanks for letting me know. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with them.

Cheers Mozie and Ronnie, thanks for the info.

The cab and all the legal parts are in getting acid stripped and then blasted ready for powder coating.

I'm in 2 minds whether to change the cab colour to black. I know the purists won't like it, but I'm not the biggest fan of the original brown.

Undecided yet though. Jim might write the whole project off if the boards are all past it!

I would stick with brown, mine is gloss as the powder coat place never had the leatherette stuff in stock,

I have probably 12 boardsets so you won't be stuck, but I'm sure Jim will fix them, some of the ram chips are hard to get now.

Yes, you are probably right. Powder coater is now on the hunt for satin brown. Not much call for that apparently.....😅

Brilliant Jim......"She's alive....."

It's looking great! Sorry you had a bit of a nightmare......but glad you fixed it. Well done.

Nice to see something brought back to life after all this time. Another one saved from the srap-heap.

Cabinet at powder coaters, glass ordered, cabinet edges re-veneered (looking good) and corner brackets out for chroming.

Fingers crossed it all goes back together now......

Back
Top Bottom